• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First of all I dont OC myself and I dont plan on doing it in the future but I have nothing against it.It just not the best option for me.
    Both OC and CC have advantages and disadvantages depending on the situatation and that is not another OC vs CC thread.

That being said I would like to know what do you hear the most when you OC.What is the best and worse encounter you had?

I guess you hear a lot of "Are you a police officer?", "Is this a gun?" and things like "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?".

In my opinion one of the benefits of OC is to teach the general public that law enforcement officers are not the only ones who can legally carry guns in the states.Lots of people just dont know about it and maybe after a talk with someone who OC they will spread the word to other people.
    For that I feel that OC is a good think even if I dont feel like doing it myself.If I ever happen to OC "by accident" and someone sees my firearm maybe they wont freak out because they learned from seing people who OC all the time that its fine to carry a gun.
    So for that I have to salute you guys who OC for spreading the good word. :ingo:
    I also know that in the other hand you have to deal with all the anti-gun people and I respect you even more for that because I know how some people can be really obtuse about guns. :patriot:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I very rarely get noticed when I carry.
    My worst encounter? See the thread about St. John.
    To be clear, I don't "OC" or "CC" I just carry it. I have an IWM holster and carry at my 6 (I'm a fat guy and this is most comfortable for me) sometimes it is covered, sometimes it isn't, I call it "discrete."

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Nothing. Seriously, nothing. In over 4 years of OC'ing I've had maybe 2 negative comments. Maybe 2 I could have went either way. A handful of good comments or conversations.

So what, maybe 1% of the time is there something and it's almost always good.

I get more comments about what I'm buying when I don't OC, than about my gun when I OC.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    99% of the time nothing, other comments include asking about my gun or holster, only a few bad reactions

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've heard shouted "look...he's gotta big one!":eek:

To which I replied "and I'm also open carrying a handgun." :)

Oh, can't forget about the last bad experience...I get the shakes when anyone speaks of cuffs.:nailbite:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Nothing (usually)

Once I was asked to leave a mall, once I was told I couldn't have it on premises while voting. The latter I argued and won when the poll worker called election HQ.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I was at Denny's one night and when I went to pay, the manager looked at me while I was checking out and asked me if it a 9mm. I told him that it was and he told me he had been thinking about getting his LTCH. I told him to go with the lifetime and then paid my bill and left.

Once, in a laundromat, the woman working there came up to me and told me a lady in the corner was scared that I had a gun and asked me to put it in my car. I told her that I was almost finished with my laundry and I would not put it in my car. She looked surprised and asked me why. I told her number one, it could get stolen out of my car and I'd hate to give a criminal a free gun. (Even if it is just a Glock :D) Number two, something could happen while I was there that would require me using the weapon. She just looked at me and said, "Good point. Sorry to bother you." I finished up my laundry and left and haven't been back since.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Just the other day at McD's. U Security? Nope. The police? Nope. Just doin it cuz you want to? Yep.

He wanted to talk more, at least it seemed like he had more to say, but I was busy wranglin the lil' ones.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've had two comments that stuck out. One was from a friend "Is that a gun? Why do you need a gun?!?!" and we proceeded to have a long conversation about why I carry and why its important. The second was as I was on my way out of the bank and a guy said, "I bet you're a big 2nd amendment proponent, thats really cool" and we had a short conversation about some carry stuff.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    omg can i touch it?
    I chose my next words very carefully for the record
    &
    are you a cop?
    nope.
    why are you carrying that?
    cause cops hate to be carried?
    lol ok

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I rarely hear anything at all. I had 1 guy at a subway say "hey - i didnt know you were a cop". I said "i'm not".

I've been OCing a few months, otherwise I CCed. Nobody ever pays attention.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I really only oc when I hunt or fish. The few times I've stopped in some convenient stores either coming or going, no one has said a word. I really don't think they even noticed.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    Only bad press i've gotten is the guy at Uhaul telling me i couldn't enter. Then saying you know they already stereo type us(black male).
    I told him he listens to to much rap music.

And my dad when i first bought my gun saying I didn't need a gun and if I did I was hanging out in the wrong places.
    I was like yea well i dont have a spaceship to goto mars. Bullets no fire in 0 gravity:draw:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom