• Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Bow: Bowtech Insanity
    Firearm: Remington 870 Wingmaster wtih Hastings Rifled Barrel and Leupold 3x9 Scope
    Remington 11-87 with Hastings rifled barrel and open sights
    Muzzleloader: Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Bowtech carbon knight with rage 100 gr hypodermics and extremes
    Mossberg 695 bolt action slug gun scoped with Remington accutip sabots
    Winchester 1300 with smoothbore slug barrel scoped shooting sluggers
    Knight wolverine, scoped shooting powerbelts. Looking for a new muzzleloader now

Last edited:

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Deer- Remington 870 with cantilever barrel and 3x9x40 scope.
    Deer in KY- Marlin 336. 30-30 or Rem. 700 .270 with 3x9x40 scope
    squirrel- ruger 10-22 or S&W AR15-22.
    Birds - Rem. 870 express. (Miss my benelli)

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    1. Bow is a Bowtech Guardian @65 lb. Carbon express arrows with Rage 2 blade

2. Parker Thunderhawk crossbow with Grim Reaper broadheads

3. Henry .44 Big Boy with Skinner peep.. Home cast Noe 432-265 ovet H110.

4. Marlin 336 .35 rem with 200gr corloks over lvr powder

5. S&W 629-2 .44 with same load as Henry

garrinmf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Muncie
    Firearms/ML: TC Encore ML with Nikon Omega ML BDC scope
    Handgun: Ruger Blackhawk .357 w/ 7.5" barrel
    Crossbow: Older Horton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Mostly this:

attachment.php

2005 Mathews Switchback.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I shoulda kept my Switchback XT and figured a way to slap Hoyt dual cam (Cam and a Halfs) on it.

Two years ago I made the rounds to the local shops - four different shops - and shot every new bow set to mine for direct comparison. I shoot 60lbs so all the bows were changed to 60lbs and I shot my arrows. The best, latest greatest, high efficiency bow only gained me 6fps. I have a Mathews DXT and it shoots great but isn't nearly as forgiving, so it's my backup. Every time I think about upgrading, I find myself asking why should I spend $800 for something marginally better (speed) and the same or worse (forgiving)? That's when I tell the guy to put on a new string and call it a day.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I sold my SBXT and escaped the cult ;)

When it comes to modern compound bows it's hard to get a bad one. I couldn't really care less what label's on it, I only care if it's forgiven, consistent and shoots hard. The one I have does all those things and I couldn't find a reason to "trade up". I've been that way for 9 years now, the longest I've ever hunted with the same bow. Eventually this one will be replaced by something...but not yet.

I have made other small changes though. I went back to aluminum for the price - carbon's just not worth twice the money when my aluminum arrows fly true. I changed back to feathers - they're light, forgiving, fly especially well in wind. Their only draw back is wet weather and I try to stay out of wet weather. If it happens, I have dry spares in a tube in the truck.

Broadheads come and go. The strongest most reliable and toughest straight shooting broadhead - in my humble opinion - is the G5 Montec. I shot them for years. However, I've recently changed to the Ramcat 125's because they hit just as hard, cut both ways and are SCARY sharp - MASSIVE blood trails and extremely quick and humane kills. Down side - one flight per set of blades, but they're cheap to replace and the ferrul is easy to sharpen.

I don't use a wrist sling of any kind any more - they're just not necessary and only add an un-needed step.

Love my fall-away rest, but wish there was a simple, reliable, bullet-proof, full capture fall away. I've tried a couple different ones and they always break or aren't true down range on long shots. Until then I'll stay with what I have. My backup has a whisker biscuit, but my primary will shoot feathers so the WB isn't an option.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Two years ago I made the rounds to the local shops - four different shops - and shot every new bow set to mine for direct comparison. I shoot 60lbs so all the bows were changed to 60lbs and I shot my arrows. The best, latest greatest, high efficiency bow only gained me 6fps. I have a Mathews DXT and it shoots great but isn't nearly as forgiving, so it's my backup. Every time I think about upgrading, I find myself asking why should I spend $800 for something marginally better (speed) and the same or worse (forgiving)? That's when I tell the guy to put on a new string and call it a day.

I have heard this opinion from several people in person and online so decided to find one in good condition to see for myself. 3 years later and I finally found one. The smoothness of this bow amazed me, even smoother than the Drenalin and Z7 I've shot. Definitely a keeper!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot 4" helical feathers on everything.
    G5 Montec and other broadheads of 60 degree edge me no likey.
    Strikers were OK. Magnus Stingers my low end choice (w Bleeders).
    Drop away=Ripcord, always shot precocked, and prongs shortened. Capture bar (bolts on) NEVER used.
    Release...................there's only one..............Fletchunter Shorty wrist model :)

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    where I hunt I use a 22 mag its light and a good caliber that doesnt tear up hide, also cheaper than 223 ammo.My max shot is about 100 yards, it works.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Experimentation is fun, but gets old after a while.
    Older and more grumpy............gave up BP.
    Setting a new bow up every year.....just the idea makes me irritated.
    Not a problem............just why?
    Shoot what I did before.....................maybe ;)

Top Bottom