What Do You Like / What Ticks You Off About FFLs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sturmgebear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I recently received my FFL (firearms dealer license),assuming that this would be a good time, rather than later, considering thedark clouds forming over Washington and many state capitals.

Shooters seem to have a love-hate relationship with manyFFLs; perhaps more the latter.

So, it would be valuable to hear what you expect and wantfrom an FFL. Constructively, what wouldmake your experience more productive and satisfactory?

On the other hand, what are your gripes?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    The few that I have had dealings with, tried to make me feel guilty for not buying from them, instead of using them for transfer. I`m sorry but sometimes you can find great deals on the net, don`t make the buyer feel guilty for finding a great deal.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Usually the FFL holder themself is a pretty good person. It's their employees at times that seem to tick off the masses. When you are ask a straight foreword question, give a straight foreword response. Don't beat around the bush. Give deals once in awhile. Used guns are your friend. Alot of people seem to do this 10% over cost deal with new guns and I don't see all of them prospering. Don't be afraid of the internet or technology. Have working hours that the working man can make. Meaning if you close up shop at 5PM on the weekdays or at 2PM on the weekends don't expect alot of traffic thru your door. Good luck.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    There are only two things that specifically bother me about FFL's.

One is their insistence at making the process more difficult for a transfer. As an example, there is an FFL in Fort Wayne that REFUSES to send his FFL to anyone unless they send it first.:dunno: Any FFL can be EASILY verified online on ATF's website. Very frustrating when you have two paranoid egomaniacs fighting over who will fax their paper first.

Another thing in the same string that drives me nuts is insisting on rules that are NOT part of law. For example, my understanding of the law is that only the receiver needs the FFL to transfer. I used to transfer AK's by a non-ffl sending a gun to my FFL for the transfer. This met the letter and intent of the law. Now all the FFL's insist there must be an FFL on both ends of the transaction (which increases cost, time, and hassle factor). It wouldn't **** me of so much if a local ATF agent hadn't told me there is no such requirement and he does not know why they won't do the transfer other than more money for the FFL's.)

Sturmgebear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    FFL Process

How much and what is involved getting an FFL?

You fill-out the fed FFL app; get fingerprinted by Sheriff; have passport photos taken; fill-out some other forms; put it all together and send to ATF; wait; take interview by local ATF agent; buy log book; wait; receive FFL. Time: 3 months. Cost: about $250.

IN also requires a Handgun Dealer permit. Fill-out form; get fingerprinted by Sheriff; get $60 money order payable to IN; send app to IN; still pending...

I recommend doing this through an LLC (not legal advice). Must also obtain sales tax permit from IN. Online process. $20 fee.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The few that I have had dealings with, tried to make me feel guilty for not buying from them, instead of using them for transfer. I`m sorry but sometimes you can find great deals on the net, don`t make the buyer feel guilty for finding a great deal.

I worked in a gunshop for a while. You would not believe how many times people came in asking for transfer and were paying MORE than they would have paying our normal prices. I was real gentle about it. All we asked for was an opportunity to review the purchase to see if we could better it. If not, the transfer went through.

Sturmgebear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    FFL Oddities

There are only two things that specifically bother me about FFL's.

One is their insistence at making the process more difficult for a transfer. As an example, there is an FFL in Fort Wayne that REFUSES to send his FFL to anyone unless they send it first.:dunno: Any FFL can be EASILY verified online on ATF's website. Very frustrating when you have two paranoid egomaniacs fighting over who will fax their paper first.

Another thing in the same string that drives me nuts is insisting on rules that are NOT part of law. For example, my understanding of the law is that only the receiver needs the FFL to transfer. I used to transfer AK's by a non-ffl sending a gun to my FFL for the transfer. This met the letter and intent of the law. Now all the FFL's insist there must be an FFL on both ends of the transaction (which increases cost, time, and hassle factor). It wouldn't **** me of so much if a local ATF agent hadn't told me there is no such requirement and he does not know why they won't do the transfer other than more money for the FFL's.)

You are correct. Only the receiving FFL must produce a certified copy of their FFL license to the sending FFL. A PDF scan or Fax is acceptable by ATF. Many FFLs make this process overly-complicated for one reason or another.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A) Know the transfer rules/laws front to back.

B) Do your absolute best to know the firearms rules/laws for your state of residence

C) Know your sales tax rules (IE - you're not allowed to collect any kind of tax on the cost of someone's Internet purchase)

D) Do your best to know that customers know your "further" stipulations that are above and beyond the laws (Such as only receiving firearms from another FFL, you only send outgoing firearms 1x/week, only accepting valid driver's license and not any other valid ID, etc etc)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My biggest pet-peeves are the guys that try to rape on prices. $25 transfer fee is the limit, $20 is good, $15 is better... Don't charge xfer fees on each gun when multiples are transferred. It adds only a few extra seconds to the process and your hassle, it's not worth another $15-25 to write down a 2nd serial number on the 4473 or in your bound book.

My chosen FFL charges $15 for a single transfer, $20 for transfer of up to 5 guns, and no more than $30 no matter how many guns you transfer as long as they're all done at the same time.

Don't make **** up like, "I have to charge sales tax on transfer fees". I understand that you want to cya but there has to be a limit on that. You don't have to charge tax on services rendered unless they are tied to the purchase of tangible goods that are taxable ie, shipping on an in-state purchase is taxed right along with the item purchased & ie, installation cost of a wood-stove is taxable if the stove purchase was taxable (at least that is how I understand it).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Any FFL can be EASILY verified online on ATF's website.
    You don't even need the entire number. Just the first three and last five digits. Plug them in here; https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/
    I used to transfer AK's by a non-ffl sending a gun to my FFL for the transfer.
    Now all the FFL's insist there must be an FFL on both ends
    If it's going to an FFL, you should be able to send it with just a copy of your current/correct driver's license.
    What is the reason being given to you that you have to obtain an FFL to ship to an FFL?

when multiples are transferred. It adds only a few extra seconds to the process
    This ^ isn't true. It takes the exact same amount of time to log each one in (and out). No one gun is faster or takes less time than any other just because they came at the same time.
    If you involve cosmoline, add 15 (or more) minutes. Gross.
    If you add a gun with a side mount covering the serial, now you gotta add time to remove that and record numbers.
    Same goes for revolvers with the numbers underneath grips.
    Or the old shotguns that you have to take apart to find the number inside.
    There are many variables that come into play with logging in a firearm but basically it's not just "oh there's ten instead of five, so this is gonna go faster!!" Nerp.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This ^ isn't true. It takes the exact same amount of time to log each one in (and out). No one gun is faster or takes less time than any other just because they came at the same time.
    If you involve cosmoline, add 15 (or more) minutes. Gross.
    If you add a gun with a side mount covering the serial, now you gotta add time to remove that and record numbers.
    Same goes for revolvers with the numbers underneath grips.
    Or the old shotguns that you have to take apart to find the number inside.
    There are many variables that come into play with logging in a firearm but basically it's not just "oh there's ten instead of five, so this is gonna go faster!!" Nerp.

Or if you spend twenty minutes looking for a serial number on an old single shot shotgun or rifle to only find....There isn't one!:D

I got a kick out of that statement as well Jetgirl..Thanks for a better response than I would have done...Oh and one more thing...Cosmoline is NOT gross!!! No matter what my wife says...:D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Cosmoline is NOT gross!!! No matter what my wife says...:D

Well. . . If I ever meet the guy who thought it would be a good idea to smear earwax all over a 40ft long gun, dunk it in Styrofoam peanuts, and wrap it in flypaper...I just might have to punch him in the stomach.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Time is Money. The car dealers chaarge $100.00+ per hour in the Service Dept. Everyones time is worth $$$$$. Check with the FFL on their price on a Gun before you order it online and whine about how much they charge for the Transfer.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    the multip gun transfer price drives me up the wall...please be reasonable about it 15-20 for one and 25 or 30 for multip up to 5 since they can go on one form.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    the multip gun transfer price drives me up the wall...please be reasonable about it 15-20 for one and 25 or 30 for multip up to 5 since they can go on one form.

You're not paying solely for the time to call it in, as stated above. It doesn't matter if there are 20 lines on the form and you use every single one... that's 20 things to unpack and log in. They each take time.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    You're not paying solely for the time to call it in, as stated above. It doesn't matter if there are 20 lines on the form and you use every single one... that's 20 things to unpack and log in. They each take time.

i do understand but when ordering say 5 ar lowers for 100 a piece charging 20 buck for each one to transfer makes a good deal not good. thats adding 20% to the cost of each one.

now if they were all complete gun/ more expensive i could understand charging per.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The best thing an FFL ever did or me was to send ME a copy of his license. Then I could get him to transfer anything simply by sending his FFL to whoever I bought a gun from. I guarantee you it got him more business....and there is absolutely NO reason not to send your FFL to people--it's useless for them other than for them to create more business for you.

Top Bottom