• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here lately I'm trying to get better and better about what I eat. Last night's halloween treats and this mornings snickers breakfast excluded of course.

I'd like to get better about a packed lunch, but I'm at a loss of what to bring. I've never been a picky eater and I prefer the simple foods out there. I'd be happy as can be to just sit and eat a loaf of bread every day for lunch, but I know I'm missing a balanced lunch. Lately I've been doing the little 90 second in the microwave lunches and a little bowl of minute rice, but I know there's better out there. I'm no food expert, and I'd like some advice.

What do you pack for a good tasting and healthy lunch?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If I am working on the road I take a PB Sandwich or two, an Apple or Orange, some carrots to munch on during the afternoon, and maybe a small bag of chips of some kind. If I have a fridge I take a turkey sandwich, yogurt, an apple, and celery and carrots. I usually drink water or a diet pepsi.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Today I have tuna salad with crackers, mini carrots, an apple, yogurt, and a small mini snickers.
    I normally bring left overs from the night before for the main course, but the yogurt, carrots or celery, and a fruit of some kind (apple, grapes, pineapple.....) are staples that I bring everyday.
    If I'm out in the field working I try to hit Subway but that's only about once a week.
    Oh, can't forget a cold glass of iced tea! I bring a glass everyday for lunch.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You should cook your own food, the stuff you buy already made for you are usually quite bad for you.They have too much salt and other bad things.

Try to follow the food pyramid for your meals.
    Forget about sodas and all those things with too much sugar and fat.
    Try to get lots of vegetable and fruits, and drink water.

Healthy%2BDiet%2BPyramid.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What is your goal for eating "healthy"? Different goals have different suggestions on what, and when, to eat.

I would define my goal as "improvement" over what I'm feeding my body currently. For example, today I popped open a can of dinty more beef stew and microwaved the "two" servings in one small bowl and according to the can that would have totaled 400 calories. I also had a little microwavable bowl of brown minute rice for another 100 calories. It's a good tasting lunch, but ulmtimately I know that I'm not getting the fruit & veggies I could use or anything else.

In a perfect world I'd like to start eating something else for lunches that would taste great, cost little, be filling and would cause me to loose weight.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what other people out there are doing for lunch and how they're setup. I'm hoping to learn some good information and apply it to my own lunch.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I go home for lunch. But there have been times when I couldn't leave work, so I brought my lunch. And, I eat the same lunch everyday.
    Just so you know, I'm a VERY healthy person. I DO NOT eat crap.

1-2 large chicken breasts.
    Chopped apple
    Bunch of chopped broccoli
    Chopped celery
    Few walnuts
    Fresh spinach
    Chopped bell peppers. Green, red, yellow and orange
    1 tablespoon milled flax seed
    1 tablespoon extra vinegar olive oil
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Dinner left-overs and fruit. Now you only have to worry about healthy dinners. :)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would define my goal as "improvement" over what I'm feeding my body currently. For example, today I popped open a can of dinty more beef stew and microwaved the "two" servings in one small bowl and according to the can that would have totaled 400 calories. I also had a little microwavable bowl of brown minute rice for another 100 calories. It's a good tasting lunch, but ulmtimately I know that I'm not getting the fruit & veggies I could use or anything else.

In a perfect world I'd like to start eating something else for lunches that would taste great, cost little, be filling and would cause me to loose weight.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what other people out there are doing for lunch and how they're setup. I'm hoping to learn some good information and apply it to my own lunch.

You just ate an almost 6 day supply of sodium in that meal.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago

I tend to eat between 200 & 300 calories for lunch. It is usually leftovers with a serving of fruit or a serving of Ramen noodles. My goals are calorie based on eating as much fruit/veggie as possible while eating as much protein as i can. The reason for this is that i go to the gym often, and have a 6 mile course that i run around my house; I'm trying to improve my athletic performance while losing weight at the same time.

I eat 5 times per day, and at each meal i eat specific things.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The snickers breakfast is everything I thought it would be. If only they were made of fruits and veggies.

It doesn't have to be. It's already healthy.
    Chocolate is from beans...technically a vegetable, and therefore "healthy".
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It doesn't have to be. It's already healthy.
    Chocolate is from beans...technically a vegetable, and therefore "healthy".
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I like the way you think, but my belt disagrees with both of us. :(

Top Bottom