• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I rarely do the convenience meals anymore. Too much junk in them, and I'm not too keen on microwaving plastic. I have glass bowls with lids that seal tight, i bring soups and stuff to work in those. When I grill I try to have leftovers for lunch. I can eat fresh fruit and veggies all day, but i don't feel full unless i eat meat. I snack on those individual packets of almonds and other healthy nuts- cheaper to buy a big bag and make your own individual servings, but sometimes i don't have enough restraint to stay out of the bag! Leftover casseroles and soups are good. I never use white bread, white rice, always whole wheat, all natural, or brown rice. Tuna or leftover grilled chicken on a salad is good. I drink water or iced tea, no soft drinks.
    We still have candy left here, too! :xmad:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Well, when I do eat lunch, I usually stick to 1 "meal" a day, and snack on things like celery, carrots, veggies of almost any variety (usually raw). I usually have a small bowl of Ranch dressing or Salsa to dip them in. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich, other times I'll have some of the night before's leftovers, but that's rare. I love yogurt, but I stick to Yoplait, all flavors. The only one I don't like is the Black Forrest Cake flavored one. I HATE marachino cherries.

The yogurt also has a full days supply of calcium if you eat 2 of them, which when your tummy gets used to eating less, will actually be pretty filling. Combine that with fresh or canned (in it's own juice, or "lite syrup" fruit, possibly a fruit rollup, jello with fresh or canned fruit. Our main meal is supper, and that's a 3 course meal. Meat/fish of some sort (we love our Foreman Grill), BBQ'd (we have a little propane one in the garage that we can use all year, or baked, a veggie/or mixed veggies, (steamed) starch of some sort (rice or potato) and sometimes a salad.

We don't eat desert on a regular basis, but occasionally I'll sit and munch on Pumpkin Seeds or Sunflower Seeds if I'm on here or watching the TV. They're good if they're roasted right, and good for you as well. Bill likes the flavored water and I usually stick to Diet Pepsi. But that's about it in a nutshell. Bill is healthy, our daughter and I usually try to stay healthy, and now that she's not a server any longer, maybe she'll stop bringing every bug in the world home to share with me! Oh, and some of the Subway sandwiches (the 6" ones) can be pretty healthy as well. Just ask Jared...:):

Drink plenty of milk, it's good for you and has loads of calcium in it. Fruit juices are good too, especially the V8 ones, with or without the fruit juice. That's pretty much what we eat, and we try to stay as healthy as possible when snacking. Hope this helps.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I've been trying to read more about the apple cider vinegar and the more I read the more it sounds like a miracle pill that prevents just about everything.

It's good stuff, and is extremely healthy for you. If you get it, make sure you buy it somewhere reputable, and get the "Mother" with it for added benefits. (If you don't know what the "Mother" is, ask the clerk or owner, they'll explain it to you) My dad swore by it, and he'd drink between 2 and 3 glasses of it a day. His recipe was 2 large tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of honey, in a full 8 ounce glass of hot water. It does take a bit of getting used to, but that man was almost never sick! And lived well into his 80's. Considering it's a farmers recipe, and he was born in 1889 (yes, over a century ago, back in the Wild West days! :):) and lived on a farm, I always took his word for it that it was healthy. I drank it as a kid, and was hardly ever sick myself, with the exception of all the childhood diseases that were going around back then, and I wasn't drinking it yet, I was only 7ish at that point.

My grandmother and grandfather on his side drank it as well, and they managed to produce NINETEEN children before she passed away. Not to bad for a backwoods couple living in upstate NY, with no medical facilities what so ever.

And just so you don't think I'm older than God, my dad was 66 when I was born, and I was the last of his 4 kids. There was a 21 year gap in my parents ages. My dad was 21 years older than my mom. My closest sister was 37 when I was born, and she died in 05 at the tender age of 87. She drank it too, and was extremely healthy, right up until a couple of months before she died.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    String Cheese, low fat cheese cubes (not too many), Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese. I don't buy much deli meat anymore, but we occasionally have Hormel Natural on our sandwiches. Trying to watch the preservatives and processed stuff.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had coffee and a pack of peanut butter cookies for lunch today.

The extra caffeine helps to burn off the sugar faster.

< ---- me

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    couple of cooked chicken breasts covered in bbq and wrapped in foil (the foil comes in handy since i can set it on my engine block or top my muffler to get warm instead of leaving the jobsite to find a micro) and some white rice with lots of hot sauce. a jug of H2O to wash it down.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    #1, cook it yourself... YOU control what goes in the meal, and ultimately what goes in your body.
    #2, don't just take a main entree, take a side (fruits/vegies)
    #3, drink water, it has zero calories, and your body burns more calories when properly hydrated.

Don't be afraid to take a salad to work. You can literally put anything you want in it. Salads can easily be turned from a boring side into a well-balanced main entree with ease. Add a few chopped walnuts, almonds, pecans to the salad for a little crunch that is more healthy than crutons. Add a little meat (bacon or ham) but don't over-do it. Go light on the dressing, vinaigrette are normally healthier alternatives to traditional heavy-oil dressings. Add onions, tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, fruits, etc to add variety and flavor, all the while keeping it healthy. Don't be afraid to mix up the greens you use too. Iceberg lettuce is "lame" to put it simple. No calories, no nutrition. Use other greens like spinnach and the lesser known lettuce varieties and such.

ETA, a favorite salad of mine is a strawberry walnut salad. Choose your favorite greens, chop some walnuts and put them on, put on a few red onions to balance out the "sweetness" of the berries and your favorite vinaigrette that you're about to put on. If you're looking for spicy drop on a few hot peppers too. Although some people don't like the spicy with their sweet/fruity/vinaigrette salads. I love spicy on almost anything!

Last edited:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    What is your goal for eating "healthy"? Different goals have different suggestions on what, and when, to eat.

yes. the foundation of every healthy meal is a complete source of protein. any animal product is a complete source of protein, meats, cheeses, milk. also dont be afraid of fats, tree nuts, xtra virgin olive oil, coconuts, eggs, cheese. green veggies are a must.

Top Bottom