• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have always used 240 gr JSP for deer out of my Marlin 44 and it has always done a great job. I was recently given a whole box of 240 gr. JHP and I shot a few at the range and they were very accurate, maybe slightly more than the JSP. I was wondering if any hunters actually prefer the JHP and if so how did they perform. For my Muzzleloader I use XTP bullets and was wondering if JHP is good for that, why not use them in a rifle?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At woods ranges I've used both types of jacketed or cast lead, never lost a deer. I don't think it makes a lot of difference when you get to 44 mag and above.:)

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I shoot either. Took a deer a few years ago with a jhp hydrashock. Dead in it's track out of a .357...It goes bang and kills them just as well. Either is fine to me.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I have always had good luck out of rifles and handguns 357 Max and 41 Mag and 50 cal ML with JHP. I use XTP's. Have never tried the JSP so I cannot compare, but JHP's get the job done for me.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    In my "pistol caliber" rifles, I normally use cast lead bullets but I have used JSP. I would venture to say that given the heavy hair on a deer, the tougher skin (than humans) and the slower velocities, the hp cavity probably fills with junk pretty quickly and the bullet acts more like a solid. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the XTP's designed for self defense?
    You might get some decent expansion if you are pushing them at high end velocity.
    If you can put a heavy, hard cast, round nose flat point or semi wad cutter through a deer ' vitals, it will get the job done. Two years ago my daughter dropped a huge bodied, 170 class buck in his tracks at 40 yards with a 44-40 Winchester loaded with 205 grain cast bullets.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    photobucket-35193-1353816139734_zpsruomvjov.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 44/40 also does well on big Indiana does, when loaded with 200gr XTP bullets. Even with terrible shot placement, this bullet traveled roughly 30" and was found just under the skin of the left shoulder. As you can see in the 2nd picture, they certainly do not act like solids.

Katie%27s%2BFirst%2BDeer.jpg

LD6jzcxQFAQJ7yryJa7QaKFeSCpNbzWQ1XdVcbRL8A=w974-h673-no

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Broom_jm, that is awesome. Makes me want to see more removed JHP bullets from deer. Thanks for sharing.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yep, that same 44/40 has taken a couple of other deer, including my daughter's first buck, but I can't show you pictures of those bullets...they exited with a thumb-sized hole and kept right on goin'.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have had good luck with both in the Hornady bullets. Scout when my kids were just starting I ran a 240 gr XTP in a muzzleloader with 50 grains of Hodgen 777 super light load but flat lethal on deer out to 90 yrds.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like the JSP. I have had the brass come off of JHP. I was at a indoor range and was shooting the 44 mag and a guy down the line yelled. His cheek was bleeding. A peace of the jacket flew back from the back stop and hit him in the cheek. I was shooting at home with my 4" 44mag and the jacket was on the peace of plywood that the target was hung on. Because of that I have kept with JSP for the 44 mags.

For the ones that are going to ask what make of bullet I was using at the time I couldn't tell you. I shot Speer, Sierra and a off brand at that time. At that time I used 240 gr what ever and didn't keep records on what bullet I was using.

Oh to be young and dumb. Could I do it one more time. I swear I will do it all better the second time around.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have had two .44 mag JHPs come apart.
    One a coup de grace (standing by the deer) through both shoulders on a 170# dressed 8 pt. 4" Smith 629 with 200gr Hornady XTP. Chunks under hide on opp side. Biggest pc roughly 50% of the bullet. The other was a 180 JHP (Nosler or Hornady) that hit at 20 yards, from treestand shot, nuked two verts on quartering to angle. Bullet just disintegrated, as did the two chunks of spine.
    Always load my .44's max'd out on WW 296. That doe was whacked from a 6" 629.
    I would not run less than 240's if shooting big deer or trying for shoulder shots. The coup de grace deal was to put the deer out faster (probably not needed considering the sabot 12 smoked both lungs and dropped him right where he stood).....but it gave me a chance to go for a bit of a test :)

JHP or JSP? Whatever shoots good and is on sale.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    You would have to work to convince me there is any appreciable difference when it comes to killing deer short range. Placement is the first consideration and you have that covered with your range results. velocity, energy, expansion, shock and pixie dust matters little when the heart is perforated. Just my :twocents:

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've taken deer with WWB 240 gr jsp and Federal Am Eagle 240 gr jhp, both worked well but, Federal's jhp consistently threw better blood trails than the WWB jsp (the jsp left almost no blood trail at all).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think either would work fine. I would prefer the JSP, but that's in case I hit a shoulder/leg and maybe the ribs, etc. I'd favor a bit of penetration over a bit of expansion.

But i think that 95% of the time (if we're taking clean, safe, ethical shots) you'll be equally well-served by either

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've taken deer with WWB 240 gr jsp and Federal Am Eagle 240 gr jhp, both worked well but, Federal's jhp consistently threw better blood trails than the WWB jsp (the jsp left almost no blood trail at all).

interesting. not totally surprising, but that's very interesting to hear the difference in blood trails.

Top Bottom