• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My only real preference is to be able to hit what I'm aiming at, reasonably well.

My EDC doesn't have night sights because, well, if there isn't enough light wherever I am for me to see my sights, then there probably isn't enough light for me to take the shot.

My home defense pistol has night sights and a surefire, because if I'm in my own home, I am more willing to take a shot because I most likely will have inventoried the people who are supposed to be there. Whoever "else" is in the house probably isn't invited.

But, I unhesitatingly support every gun owner's right - maybe even obligation - to prioritize and equip themselves as they see fit. My risk v. reward metrics are mine. I don't expect anyone else to share them just because they are mine.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    OP, here’s your shopping list:

Buy a good EDC flashlight. It’s better than any weapon mounted light anyway. And carry it on you.
    Buy ammo. And shoot your EDC. Train with it.

Problem solved!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nah, you're not weird. Rule number 1 is to have a gun. Once that's accomplished, if you want to start adding slices to your capabilities by adding functional accessories that's fine. As long as reliability isn't sacrificed, go for it.

I just wouldn't not carry a gun, simply because it didn't have night sights or a mounted light as the probability of needing the gun itself is greater than the probability of needing a gun WITH those other items.
    The only time I don't have a gun within reasonable reach is when I'm in work or school. That's a given for me. If something were to happen and all of my currently-owned pistols disappeared and I only had enough money for a second-hand Hi Point, there'd be one on me without night sights or a light. It's not that I wouldn't carry a gun without night sights, a light, and an RMR, just that I can't wrap my head around why I would carry, say, my M&P that doesn't have accessories when I have a decked-out G19.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    OP, here’s your shopping list:

Buy a good EDC flashlight. It’s better than any weapon mounted light anyway. And carry it on you.
    Buy ammo. And shoot your EDC. Train with it.

Problem solved!
    Thanks for the advice. I have a Fenix UC35 that's in my pocket at all times. It's a bit on the large size but I really dig being able to effectively illuminate anything in front of me... from across the parking lot... of the neighboring restaurant.:):

I look at it like this: I may need a light without needing a gun; I may need a gun without needing a light; if I need both then a combo of the two allows me a proper firing grip or an extra hand for another situation that may require it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The only time I don't have a gun within reasonable reach is when I'm in work or school. That's a given for me. If something were to happen and all of my currently-owned pistols disappeared and I only had enough money for a second-hand Hi Point, there'd be one on me without night sights or a light. It's not that I wouldn't carry a gun without night sights, a light, and an RMR, just that I can't wrap my head around why I would carry, say, my M&P that doesn't have accessories when I have a decked-out G19.

I feel pretty good about my M&P Shield with no accessories because I spent that money on ammo and training:ingo:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Good sights and a good trigger.

Good advice from an outstanding self-defense expert, one of the most thoughtful guys I personally know in this area. That's a good start, and work up from there, as noted downthread.

Think of it like cars.

Ricer/jacked up jeeps etc =guccied glocks/m&p/etc

Old muscle cars that runs like a dream=tuned 1911

my chevy malibu, boring but works perfect= stock guns

My ducati and harley chilling in the garage- change it up to add a little color in life= having a carry rotation.

Carrying a hi point = public transportation

When I can't carry the 1911, it is a Sig P938, which is like a 1911, but more concealable.

EDITED TO ADD: Both the 1911 and the P938 have night sights. Although as T Lex notes, one is much less likely to take a shot at night. However, when I was issued my first departmental weapon with night sights (in 1989), I was sold on them.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I carry a Glock 17 with night sights and a Surefire X300 U-B everyday day for work, Obviously this doesn’t change day to day.

Off Duty I carry 1 of 3 things, that same Glock 17 with lightattached, that same Glock 17 with lights attached OR a Roland Special(ish) Glock19, (trijicon RMR, X300, KKM comp). Icarry all 3 configurations in an appendix holster year round.

For me the bare minimum my carry gun will have is nightsights, a majority of the time it will also have a light.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    For duty I carry a G22 with night sights and a weapon light, I also have three other lights on me at work (midnight guy here). I carry a G27 off duty with no weapon light but I have a surefire light in my pocket. I like to make my guns compatible, as in my G22 mags will work in my G27, they are the same caliber, same trigger, same mag release, slide release. I have shot these two platforms for many years and have muscle memory with them both including taking in and out of holsters.
    I carry the glocks because I trust them with my life, they have never failed me and I have uncountable rounds down range with each of them.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    AVON
    When I was younger and could only afford one firearm I carried whatever I owned at the time. As I got older I started gathering more firearms. Not wanting to part with some of my old friends, I did start exploring the polymer guns too. As a edc I have a glock 43. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pull out a all steel Smith + Wesson just to reminisce sometimes. Or a Kimber 1911, but not as an edc. Too hard to conceal. Just in my opinion. Yes everything has night sights and some have crimson trace laser sights. Just what ever you are comfortable with. :)

Eagle21

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 23, 2017
    Hamilton Co. / Marion Co.
    To me a gun light(300+lumens from a reputable brand e.g. surefire or stream light) extended past your muzzel is a must..

Quality ammunition is as important; Federal HST seem to be chosen by many LE agency’s for a reason.

I would say the RMR is a great choice...typically on force on force scenarios people will hit/miss low. In my opinion the mind does not want your eyes to be blocked by that gun, it’s not natural.. you subconsciously lower your gun to see what it is that’s about to kill you, plenty natural...But potentially deadly.

Sights although important, chances are if you’re caught on your heels and stuck in a OODA Loop you won’t ever see your sights..and in my opinion won’t take the time and may literally not be able to see the sights to line them up.
    For duty use; yeah, tridium makes sense, you may have times your on your toes a bit more so to speak, high risk traffic stops etc. but for a an everyday ccw citizen application is solely defensive, violence of action is required but your reacting to a situation gone bad. And that rmr allows you too hopefully keep that gun up and still see your threat. So good on ya for adding a great tool to your kit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A set of metal sights that allow one-handed manipulations if necessary. That's about it. I carry a handheld light for situations where light may be needed.

If I recall correctly, all of the incidents in which Tom Givens' students have been involved occurred where and when there was enough ambient light to get the job done without night sights or lights.

Nothing wrong with lights, night sights, and all those things, however, the probability that the typical citizen would require them in an encounter seems to be over estimated from the data I've seen.

I agree.

The extra weight of a light on a carry gun seems unjustified. HD is another matter, but carry I'd say skip the light.

What I want in a carry gun is:
    Double action or DAO (no safety to manipulate)
    Capable caliber (9mm or more)
    Sufficient capacity (5rd or more)
    Utmost reliability

I'm willing to bet that in most SD situations, the sights never come into play, it's basically point shooting.

Top Bottom