What do you take on vacation when you fly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't fly for vacations, but for work.

I check a decent but inexpensive folder knife to have when I arrive.

carry on I have a good surefire light, my small light, sometimes a ham radio, emergency/important contacts written on paper, printed maps if not familiar with area (eg what if laptop, phone, etc dies?), emergency cash (enough to at least buy a few meals plus a bus ticket home... think 9/11 when planes didn't fly for days), some basics in case I get stuck making a connection (eg clean underwear, toothbrush, etc...), basic OTC meds (runny nose, headache, etc), additional pre-paid card for my phone (yea, still have my pay as you go flip phone)...

I'm sure I have more stuff squirreled away in my carryon I'm not thinking of at the moment... why it weighs so much....

Keychain size pry bar

aka "key?" :laugh:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Drugs..... if you know your market you can make some big bucks to get whatever you need at your destination.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't fly much but had a work trip to Hawaii a ~month ago. Someone took the aerosol sunscreen out of my suitcase. It that not allowed in checked luggage?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am assuming carry on only, and to make it even harder, international. These are the "survival" type items that I want to have with me when I get to my destination. My vacations typically take me to remote, and rugged areas (jungles, deserts, volcanos etc) and I need that stuff to hit the ground running. I've had checked baggage not get to me. Also on my carry on of course is a change of clothes, rain jacket, hygiene kit, glasses and contacts, map and sat photo of area, cell phone and charger, a book etc.

airplane loadout.jpg

Empty Water bottle
    1st aid/trauma kit w/out sharps
    Binocs
    poncho
    bandana
    Ti spork
    Cliff bars/similar
    GPS
    door stop
    paracord bracelets
    bic mini
    signal mirror
    glow in the dark keychain bar
    chemlight
    sunscreen
    2 headlamps
    tac light
    550 cord
    whistle
    strobe
    magnifying glass
    tape
    nomex gloves

On me I carry cash, ID, passport, tac light, Jeep keys w/ whistle, prybar, brass cordage, ferorod, led light, riggers belt,
    prybar
    swisstool

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a beer judge and connoisseur, so my vacations take me to breweries, bars, and bottle stores...

I take a bottle opener.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm a beer judge and connoisseur, so my vacations take me to breweries, bars, and bottle stores...

I take a bottle opener.

That post made me think of this:

omg_tac_tbo_03.jpg

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    If you and the family fly to, say, Florida, what do you take just in case? (Please, no "I wouldn't fly" remarks. That's not the point of the post.) My main objective would be maximizing our chances of getting home as quickly as possible.

My short list to start:
    Cash
    Lifestraw
    Multitool (e.g. Leatherman Juice)
    Small pepper spray
    Small flashlight
    Map of the area

What else?

Just wondering how you got the pepper spray on the plane or even why you would take it on a plane. Remember you are in an enclosed ventilation system and those containers can bust when they pressurize the plane. When they bust, you're contaminating everyone including the pilots.

I only ask because during our flying armed class, we were told we were NOT allowed to carry OC and stated what I typed above.

Last edited:

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Just wondering how you got the pepper spray on the plane or even why you would take it on a plane. Remember you are in an enclosed ventilation system and those containers can bust when they pressurize the plane. When they bust, you're contaminating everyone including the pilots.

I only ask because during our flying armed class, we were told we were NOT allowed to carry OC and stated what I typed above.

You can check a small pepper spray, and it's for use at the destination, not on the plane.

https://www.skyscanner.com/news/10-strange-items-you-can-take-planes-checked-luggage

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Normal vacation stuff + my gun and knife if my destination allows me to carry one or the other.

If going out of the country or to a non-free state I usually just bring the normal vacation stuff and a sort of first-aid kit that also includes water purification tablets and anti-diarrheal medicine and what not.

Haven't been on vacation since receiving my amateur radio license in late April but I'll be bringing my radio with me as well, though that's more for fun than anything but can be used for emergencies if need be. (On my of 'vacation spots' is my property in SW Texas that is farrrr from people and from cell coverage but close to the border and wild animals... I would normally be close enough to a radio repeater however)

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    You can check a small pepper spray, and it's for use at the destination, not on the plane.

https://www.skyscanner.com/news/10-strange-items-you-can-take-planes-checked-luggage

Ahh ok. The TSA says it's ok but the only two airlines that I've flown (American Airlines & United) both say mace and pepper sprays are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage. Looks like it's time to find a different airline.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/restricted-items.jsp

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/dangerous.aspx

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    That's correct. The door stop is just what its for. For keeping doors closed, or open, depending on what I need.

Exactly.

I do 100+ nights a year in hotels and in my experience I’ve been given keys that unlock occupied rooms as well as had other customers walk into my room. In addition, I’ve had housekeeping easily open a room upon request and have had the front desk not ask for any ID to get replacement keys (happened today). So I always have doorstops to buy a little time. In addition there are quite a few YouTube videos that show how easy it is to break into / hack hotel room locks.

Top Bottom