• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    For reference, I think this is the sentence you were talking about.

When I read that, and let it soak in, it sounds more like a general statement related to something like, "Do you know how fast you were going?" "Oh, about 60." "I clocked you at 63 coming over that hill." "Yeah, give or take."
    As opposed to responding, "I've been going 55 the whole trip. I wouldn't even think about speeding, offisah."

Everybody knows that you shouldn't try to lie about how fast you were going because that just isn't going to help, so it makes more sense that that is what wtf was thinking of when he wrote that. I don't believe that not telling the officer you are carrying is what he was after, especially since there's no way he can know you are being dishonest, whereas he already knows how fast you were going.

I mean, It doesn't really matter one way or the other to me. I was just speaking up because you were a bit abrasive and came down kinda hard on the guy when what wtf said wasn't really grounds for claiming his attitude was responsible for common anti-LEO sentiment. If nothing else, give him the benefit of the doubt until he explicitly says something that really seals his coffin about it. That's what I try to do.

Caleb
    The best thing to d when getting pulled over for a moving violation is to never tell the officer why you got pulled over. They are trying to be friendly and such and they asked you.
    "Know why I pulled ya over?"
    "Speeding, I guess..."
    "How fast were you going"
    "Oh 72 or 73mph"
    "Do you know what the speed limit is?"
    "65"

Bam right there you admitted fault.

Don't offer any information to police officers. Because even if their radar gun is miscalibrated, with no history of being calibrated in the last 15 years you still admitted fault and a judge/jury is not going to want anything to do with you.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    "Ja" oder "nein" oder "Ich weiss nicht". Hände ans Steuerrad. Alle Befehlen gehorchen.

Alle Papiere müssen in Ordnung sein. Wer Waffen ohne Waffenbesitzkarte trägt wird verhaftet und bestraft.

Nichts persönlich.:) Der Polizist hat nichts damit zu tun. Es ist in Gesetz festgelegt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    "Ja" oder "nein" oder "Ich weiss nicht". Hände ans Steuerrad. Alle Befehlen gehorchen.

Alle Papiere müssen in Ordnung sein. Wer Waffen ohne Waffenbesitzkarte trägt wird verhaftet und bestraft.

Nichts persönlich.:) Der Polizist hat nichts damit zu tun. Es ist in Gesetz festgelegt.

yes or no. I don't know. dont know the rest in the first part

All paper must be present? don't knw the rest

Don't take the persnally... The police are just doing their job. It's all in a days work?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The best thing to d when getting pulled over for a moving violation is to never tell the officer why you got pulled over. They are trying to be friendly and such and they asked you.
    "Speeding, I guess..."
    "Oh 72 or 73mph"
    "65"

Don't offer any information to police officers. Because even if their radar gun is miscalibrated, with no history of being calibrated in the last 15 years you still admitted fault and a judge/jury is not going to want anything to do with you.

Or if you really were speeding you could just be honest and pay the fine if issued a ticket. Kind of like when your kid lies to you to avoid getting grounded. Just sayin'... :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Or if you really were speeding you could just be honest and pay the fine if issued a ticket. Kind of like when your kid lies to you to avoid getting grounded. Just sayin'... :)

Personally I'm an honest person. I will admit fault because 99/100 the officer has already made up his mind if you are getting a ticket. I was just saying to from another perspective that is also true if you are the type of person to take something to court. Me, when I get a ticket (no ticket in almost a year) I got 9 in span of 4 years. 6 within 11 months of each other, I always would just go to the court house and pay my fine because I broke the law and there was no excuse for my dumb 16-20 year old ***. But now 4 years later I am a lot wiser and generally not in a hurry to get anywhere. (Trust me ask my g/f. it pisses her off) ((hurry up we're gonna be late, what do you mean you're not done pooping?)) honey i'm the internets looking at gun stuff, you're friends SHOULD understand. Heaven knows you don't.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    yes or no. I don't know. dont know the rest in the first part

All paper must be present? don't knw the rest

Don't take the persnally... The police are just doing their job. It's all in a days work?

"Yes" or "no" or "I don't know". [Keep] hands on the wheel. Follow all instructions.
    All [your] papers must be in order. Who carries weapons without a weapon owners authorization permit [doesn't translate directly] will be arrested and punished [fined].
    [It's] nothing personal. The LEO has nothing to do with it. It is fixed in law.

Not trying to :stickpoke: but since I didn't study Spanish or French had to go with a long-dormant skill. Meant to be humorous yet serious at the same time.
    Es ist vielleicht nicht grammatisch korrekt, aber nach so langer Zeit ohne Übung, braucht die Maschine nur Öl. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    "Yes" or "no" or "I don't know". [Keep] hands on the wheel. Follow all instructions.
    All [your] papers must be in order. Who carries weapons without a weapon owners authorization permit [doesn't translate directly] will be arrested and punished [fined].
    [It's] nothing personal. The LEO has nothing to do with it. It is fixed in law.

Not trying to :stickpoke: but since I didn't study Spanish or French had to go with a long-dormant skill. Meant to be humorous yet serious at the same time.
    Es ist vielleicht nicht grammatisch korrekt, aber nach so langer Zeit ohne Übung, braucht die Maschine nur Öl. ;)

I'm not looking forward to a foreign language again (took 2 semesters of german in highschool 01and02) in a few semesters.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Same way I always do, primary, 1911, on right side, secondary, Kahr P9, on the left side with a .38 on the left ankle (but I don't think he saw that one).

WTF you need 3 guns for this isn't Somolia!:draw::D

I agree with some of the people here on this Issue and while the easiest thing to do is not drive like a douche, sometimes it happens unintentionally. I will just hand them my LTCH wit my license. The last time I was stopped wa in Kentucky when I almost accidentally blew through a sobriety checkpoint(I was sober as always). it was like 9:30 at night and there were police cars on either side of the road but Not a single flare or anything to mark a checkpoint. the LEO put my name in the system backwards so that took until the day before the court date to get figured out. Nothing came of it thank god. I need money for Jeep parts not to pay the state!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    "Speeding, I guess..."
    "Oh 72 or 73mph"
    "65"

:yesway:
    This.

I think I already posted this before, but and admission of guilt is almost a guarantee of a ticket.

Example...
    Quite a few years back a friend of mine and I were going golfing.
    We were a bit late.
    I was going a bit fast and got pulled over.
    The truck I was driving was a rust bucket.
    The officer came up to my window and said something like
    "Did you know you you were going 64 in a 55."
    I looked out the window, up and down the truck, and said
    "I had no idea that this truck would even go that fast.
    He literally had to stifle a laugh.
    He went back to his car and wrote me a warning.
    When he came back he said "Do you drive a truck?"
    Evidently the professional drivers use that line all the time.

After reading this thread (all of it... whew) and talking to some friends, I am not so sure I would volunteer that I have a gun or LTCH without being asked. Especially for a traffic stop. I was taught to volunteer by the instructor of my handgun class in Bedford, but knowing the the ISP is confiscating firearms, I believe that I will just not mention it and move my LTCH where it won't be seen. I don't relish being swept by the muzzle of my own gun.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a question..

Does IC 35-47-14: Proceedings for the Seizure and Retention of a Firearm, have anything to do with taking my handgun during a traffic stop ?

Indiana Code 35-47-14

I don't see why it wouldn't pertain to a traffic stop. Does a traffic stop fall under Terry?

Very interesting... I'm going to think about this. Any lawyers here care to comment?

What does "seize" mean?

Since it's not defined in code, then the dictionary definition applies, right?

2 a : to take possession of : confiscate b : to take possession of by legal process
    3 a : to possess or take by force : capture b : to take prisoner : arrest
    4 a : to take hold of : clutch b : to possess oneself of : grasp c : to understand fully and distinctly : apprehend

IC 35-47-14-3
    Warrantless seizure of firearm from individual believed to be dangerous
    Sec. 3. (a) If a law enforcement officer seizes a firearm from an individual whom the law enforcement officer believes to be dangerous without obtaining a warrant, the law enforcement officer shall submit to the circuit or superior court having jurisdiction over the individual believed to be dangerous a written statement under oath or affirmation describing the basis for the law enforcement officer's belief that the individual is dangerous.
    (b) The court shall review the written statement submitted under subsection (a). If the court finds that probable cause exists to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to retain the firearm. If the court finds that there is no probable cause to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to return the firearm to the individual.
    (c) This section does not authorize a law enforcement officer to perform a warrantless search or seizure if a warrant would otherwise be required.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't see why it wouldn't pertain to a traffic stop. Does a traffic stop fall under Terry?

Very interesting... I'm going to think about this. Any lawyers here care to comment?

What does "seize" mean?

Since it's not defined in code, then the dictionary definition applies, right?

Maybe GunLawyer will see this thread...

AR154ME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Quick question: I've had my LTCH for a while, and my wife just got hers. She asked me, and I didn't know: What do you tell the police officer here in Indiana if you get pulled over? What does the law require? Do you say nothing, or do you hand him the pink paper with your driver's license and mention it?

I won't say anything usless they ask me if i have a weapon in the car or tell me to exit for some reson.

mason1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Out of respect for LEO's Ive always rolled all the windows down, put my hads on the wheel and told the officer right away that i had a firearm and where is was located. Somtimes they have asked to hold it, other times they thanked me for informing them and didnt say anything else.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

"Yes" or "no" or " I do not know ". Hands in the steering wheel. All orders obey.

All papers must be in order. Who carries weapons without gun licence is arrested and punished.

Nothing personally. The policeman has to do nothing with it. It is fixed in law.

Translators are great!

Top Bottom