• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So I am starting to drive a lot more for work. I'm considering getting a gun to wear on the inside of my left ankle. I've been wanting a snub nose .357 (chiappa rhino) anyways and think this maybe a good option (not looking for anyone thoughts on the rhino). So I'm looking to see what do you think would be a good gun for ankle carry in the car? If you don't like that idea what do you like for driving? I don't what to go the shoulder holster route note do I want the holster that straps to the seat. Most the time I'm in a rental car so affixing a holster to the car is also not an option.

let me know your thoughts!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Maybe be its lack of practice but that's difficult esp for iwb
    Theirs thousands of us that do it every day. I also drive for a living, about 130,000 miles a year for the last 15 years.

This is what I carry everyday when I'm driving. Find the right pants, belt and holster that works for you.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Jay are you in a car, suv, truck or semi? Between the center console, seatbelt, and curves of the seat I struggle... Am I missing something?
    All of the above. You need to find the right pants, belt and holster.

None of us are going to be able to help you with that. We all have pills of holsters in are draws that did not work for us. Also ask yourself this, do you carry to be comfortable or comforting :)

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A BUG carried on the ankle can be very handy in the car, but it's not usually my primary handgun. Like others up-thread, I carry the same way in the car as everywhere else.

Ankle carry has it's size/weight limits since one can only conceal so much under a pant leg (size), and walking/running/moving around gets more awkward the more weight you hang on your ankle.

For me, 22ish oz is about all I want down there (and I'm usually UNDER that by several oz).

My only concern with the revolver you're suggesting is that it might be a bit on the heavy side at 24 oz (empty) for ankle carry. Others may be comfortable with more weight down there. YMMV.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It seems like I either misread the OP or people here are trying to sell you on something else (and not answering your actual question)

Ankle carry for driving or sitting (like an office job) is a good option. As others have mentioned above, this could be in addition to your regular (IWB?) carry, IF you already have a regular way of carrying.

It seems like the most popular ankle carry holsters are the Galco.
    Yes, keeping it light weight is very important. LCR, S&W airweight, LC9s, G43, etc would all be ok. If you've got a Chiappa already, then rock on.

Top Bottom