• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Speaking from experience, not second hand....

I wanted a 1911 to carry as a plinker and in less than desirable conditions and picked up a Taurus PT 1911. I have other options but this shoots better than my 70 Series Colt that has had some significant work done on it by a very competent pistol smith. It has all of the parts air gauged and fitted, the things are polished that should be. Have not had one issue with it. It is a blast to shoot.

Have only had to send two firearms back to the manufacturer...one a S&W Model 19 that sheared the pin off that the hammer pivots on (over crimped retention ring in the frame from the factory) and a Ruger Red Label 20 ga O/U.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    for the money i think taurus is a good gun. ive never shot any of there low end revolvers or pistols, they probully are junk, but the big revolvers "raging bulls" ive shot and the pt 111 and pt 145's ive shot, shoot great. i cant knock taurus.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I own 3 with no issues but 2 still only have a few hundred rounds through them. My 709 Slim has been an absolute blast to shoot/carry for 4 years now. It had maybe 3-4 failures to feed during the first box of WWB ammo.100% reliable since. Its even the Gen1 model that I bought brand new 4 years ago. Excellent pistol for me.

My Judge and my PT1911 only have a couple of hundred trouble free rounds through them so take that for what its worth.

My dice rolling has yielded some good results, YMMV.

I dont believe alot of the bashing, some stories are quite commical. Im sure some have had bad experiences, but mine have been positive.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Where I live, I have noticed all guns going up again in retail price. Many are going for at or near MSRP.
    I have had luck with Taurus, but look at it this way.
    Always wanting to buy new rather than used, if I could get a Taurus 85 revolver for $100-$120 less than a J Frame, I would do it.
    The problem is lately, the Taurus has increased in price, to less than $40 difference between it an a SW J Frame.
    SW hear I come.

Savage300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I owned a PT 1911 and found it to be a good shooter for the money. Houge grips, and it was good to go

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    I'm planning on buying the Raging Judge Magnum with my tax return. Does anyone have a review of this revolver? I shot my friends TCP..i think it was a TCP in .380 and it was all over the place. May have been one of those lemons.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I believe the CEO of Taurus gave an interview (to another firearms site?) at the 2014 SHOT show about fixing their QC and CS issues.....didn't see it posted there, but I didn't look too hard either.

Hey, every company can always do better :)

Some might have to work harder than others though ;)

Last edited:

Indyelmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    I had a 92fs in stainless was just too heavy , and a Pt58 380 that I sold sure wish I had kept it it shot so well , I still have a 22auto from them .. Really I thought all were we'll made and shot well !!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I had a Taurus 85 (mfd '93) and it was a beast.
    I fired well over 200 +P .38sp rounds through it with zero hiccups.
    I only got rid of it because it sat around in the safe for no purpose.
    I also had the PT 740 Slim and I actually did not like it at all.
    functionality was so-so with "only" 2 stovepipes out of 200rds through it,
    but firing it was less than pleasant...
    didn't feel right in my hand and recoil was nearly unbearable.

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Boring story time:
    The only semi-auto handgun I was familiar with was the Beretta 92, prior Navy here. Noticing the pricetag I discovered the Taurus clone was more economical. The gap has closed somewhat. Taurus 92 models are around $530, Beretta at $590, but the Taurus clone I was peaking at had an accessory rail.

I think I'm going with some Turkish CZ clone next anyway.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If they were such crap they'd be out of business. Instead, you have a lot of satisfied customers. Like me. I own two and once's my EDC. Sorry you don't care for them. Some of us know better.

I know better.

The shop I worked at sold them, and sold a lot. Even when volume adjusted, Taurus has a higher failure rate (design, metallurgy, processing).
    Some folks like the extra attention of having to send their item back, sometimes more than once. And anybody can justify whatever cost savings there may be by whatever they want.

I've seen quite a few folks buy Taurus, have problems, and buy something else, never to buy another Taurus.

Heard the warranty stuff, on many an occasion a Taurus fan jump in the middle of a customer discussion/possible sale..............offering their 2 cents worth.
    Over and over...............to the point I rather dislike the average Taurus owner and their attitude, and that mixed with the high failure rate for me means.........

I wouldn't own one if given to me.

Maybe with the new CEO and some other changes they'll have better quality and CS. Talk is cheap though and it'll take time to prove things have changed for the better.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Yeah those Taurus owners are the worst. It's not the glock fan boys, of the 1911 lovers, or the sig freaks, or the h and k snobs. Its the Taurus owners who are just plain annoying. Sorry don't know to purple from phone.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    If they were such crap they'd be out of business. Instead, you have a lot of satisfied customers. Like me. I own two and once's my EDC. Sorry you don't care for them. Some of us know better.

When it comes to Taurus many of us DO! know better.

A lot of satisfied customers? I have had two also, both had issues, one issue was small and turned into a major one after Taurus CS did nothing, and actually made the function of this weapon worse.

The other was fixed.. after the second trip to Florida.

This was nearly a decade ago, I now work in a gun shop/range, I can tell you first hand both as a customer and a salesman that Taurus has many more issues than all other companies.

Those of us who have a lot of experience with firearms that are frequently (or even rarely) used, KNOW BETTER!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

As I said up thread, I have not had a problem with them. But I do personally know people that have had problems with them. On top of that just shooting other peoples guns you can tell some are great and others just plain suck. So it is totally hit or miss. Like playing Russian roulette, eventually you are going to take a shot to the head. If I am going to play the odds I want them in my favor and that is not the case with Taurus. No company is trouble free, I have had problems with Ruger products and one minor problem with a Sig. I personally think Ruger quality has gone down hill but I will still take a chance on Ruger over Taurus. Even if Taurus has recently made changes to fix their quality control problems it will take years for the stink to clear from their reputation. Just from the aspect of the chances are you will get a good product, still many people don't and a gun is far too expensive to play that game with. I will take a used Ruger, Smith, Walther, etc over a new Taurus any day. Even though I have had good luck with them and not been burnt personally.

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I enjoy shooting my Taurus revolvers and semi-auto's. I have guns from Taurus in 22LR, 357/38, 9mm, 44 Spl, 44 magnum, and 45 acp. Over ten years and roughly 15 handguns, I have yet to have any issues beyond a ftf now and then, and that was more the ammo fault than the gun itself. The only model I have sold off because I didn't like it was a 24/7 OSS 45acp double stack . Nothing wrong with the gun, I just have a personal dislike of the polymer framed guns, no matter who makes them.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have owned a pt-111 and a pt-1911. Both were 100%. Their 1911 is probably the best 1911 you could get at that price at the time...I think maybe Ruger's is about the same price now and maybe a little better??

Top Bottom