• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mercy, I have seen and been in this conversation on dozens of forums (and a number of times on this one). OP my best advice to is to try one at a gun range or from a friend and do not be afraid to buy one in your price range if you like them. The Taurus haters will always hate them and the lovers will always love them. I personally have no problem with them( yes I do like them) and own a few. Have had very good experience with their customer service. But you need to decide for yourself. The discussion on this issue is a lot like politics, a whole lot of ideology and very little compromise...IMHO. Good Luck in what ever you choose.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Try one , I've got 6,( wheel's and semi's.) I must be really lucky, cause the only problem I've had was the front site on 1. All are high round count also! Ya , they are lower in price, but TRY ONE! ( 357, 357 sig, 9mm). I'll share, bring some ammo!

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've read several comments about Taurus's quality. Frankly, I've owned several and still do. And, so far, like what I have and I haven't had any quality issues. I had a 1911 w/rail that was fantastic. It was great value....a lot of product for the money. I have a model 65 that is a great old revolver. And, a model 9422 which isn't anything special but it shoots 22 magnums without any problems and try and buy a Smith Wesson model 48 for less than 300.00. Taurus handguns have very strong trigger/hammer springs but that can be fixed with power reductions kits and some light polishing. And, they are easy to do. I don't go out looking for Taurus handguns but I don't look the other way when I see a bargain in front of me.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Heck, I am not saying not to buy them, please do. I am saying I won't be doing so. That was the topic after all and I don't see any reason to get all uppity either way. I know I did my bit to put them out of business when they denied they had gotten my firearm twice while i was holding sign return receipts. I admit the hopped to it with the apologies (after telling me to go fish three times with my evidence) when I called in the BATFE to get my guns back. So if you like them and want to buy them, good on ya.

They are cheap for the same reason KelTecs are cheap. They hold their value like a sieve so please don't look to resell them someday.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Taurus copies a lot of guns from other manufacturers and I think they get a lot of negative from that. I think if they would quit bringing out new designs every year and perfect some of the better one's like their PT92 and some of their revolvers they would be better off. But you cannot fault them for bring out all the new stuff either. I have had I think 6 or 7 Taurus guns and only one problem (PT22). I love my S&W 19 but I also love my Taurus 605. The M605 is a Great little J Frame. Jim

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I carry a PT 145 Mil Pro. I've put probably 500 rounds through it, and the only issue I had was when I was ***** footing around with it. Rack it with discernment, and authority. Its a tool...use it as such and it works fine. Haven't had any issues otherwise. I also haven't seen any Taurus' have issues. I have only heard of people who have had issues.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    OP my best advice to is to try one at a gun range or from a friend and do not be afraid to buy one in your price range if you like them.

That's the plan tomorrow. I'm heading to the range over lunch to try out the Taurus, Kahr PM9, and Ruger LC9. I'd like to shoot the Kimber Solo Carry but I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of price. I've heard you're paying a lot for the name.

Thanks for the advice.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have an older Taurus revolver and it works very well. Although I'm not a huge fan of their semi autos, other than the Beretta 92 clone, their revolvers aren't too bad. Some of their revolvers have a few quality control issues, but a majority are fine. I've only seen one Taurus revolver come from the factory with a problem. It was a new in box polymer Judge that apparently missed a step in the production process. The end of the barrel looked like it was taken off with a hacksaw.

If a Taurus is in your price range and meets your needs, then buy it. Simply shoot the firearm a lot and see if it has any problems before you begin carrying the gun and you shouldn't have any problems.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    What do you think of Taurus these days?

I try NOT TO!

:D

Too many bad memories of my first revolver. UGH. I understand their quality HAS improved a lot over the last 20 years but it's just like Norton Anti-Virus. They say it's not NEAR the UTTER DOG it was a decade ago but I just can't get past the awful memories. So they will never get my money again and neither will Taurus. Too many GREAT reliable high quality brands are available for just a little bit more. Not worth the hassle or the risk IMHO.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm with everyone else who has said this: Save up and buy a better gun from a better manufacturer. In my experience with the 24/7 G2 Taurus semi-autos suck but based on what I've been told they make excellent revolvers. My first handgun was the Taurus 24/7 G2 and has a starter gun it was ok but I have a lot of issues with it. The lack of aftermarket parts and accessories, awful DA trigger, inaccurate, and the fact that it's striker fired but DA/SA for some reason. Personally I will never own another Taurus semi-auto but may look into getting one of their wheel guns. Just my $0.02.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I owned several a few years ago, have nothing but good to say about them. I sold them because I got the CZ bug, just prefer CZ. My limited take on this issue is that they were really bad a long time ago, now they're above average, but combined with a terrible reputation and ANY problems now, they'll never shed their reputation.

In personal experience and that of friends around me, I've seen more problems with Kimbers than with Taurus. Again, just personal experience and a tiny sampling.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have 2 PT 1911s, one stainless, one blue. They both have a few thousand rounds down the pipe with no issues. I also have a Taurus Tracker 970 ,22, and have no issues with it either.

Dave

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sad thing about the 24/7 series is with their DA/SA style striker, the DA trigger was actually great, felt like a smoothed Glock trigger, but the SA is creepy/TONS o' overtravel. The ergonomics were fine, the controls were well placed (too many of them but hey!) and it was kinda serviceable if it ran well, but the trigger killed it for anyone of any shooting experience. Made me wish I could have disabled the single action mode.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Had a first gen 24/7 in 45 that had feed issues on everything except ball ammo. I got rid of it in favor of an FNP 45. I still have two Taurus revolvers, a 44 special and a 22 magnum. The 44 is sweetness through and through you could not part me from. The 22 is something I want to sell - for lack of use, quality is fine.

J&Jindustrial

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Glad to hear the input on the 1911's they look good and the specs seem top notch was Leary because of the Taurus name may have to pick one up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    When it comes to Taurus many of us DO! know better.

A lot of satisfied customers? I have had two also, both had issues, one issue was small and turned into a major one after Taurus CS did nothing, and actually made the function of this weapon worse.

The other was fixed.. after the second trip to Florida.

This was nearly a decade ago, I now work in a gun shop/range, I can tell you first hand both as a customer and a salesman that Taurus has many more issues than all other companies.

Those of us who have a lot of experience with firearms that are frequently (or even rarely) used, KNOW BETTER!

And since folks still think we're stupid and or liars....................Taurus buyers I leave in the company of their warranty. Won't fix 'em, won't even debug 'em..............got a problem....................well naysayer, use that great warranty :)

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I own a PT111 , PT145 & a PT140pro never had a problem with any. Maybe I'm just lucky. I also own 6 Glocks so I'm not a Taurus fanatic. I've never had a problem with any gun I've owned, other than a Jennings 22.

Top Bottom