• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I'm about to buy the Taurus 709 slim, as my Glock 19 is too boxy for me to carry on a regular basis, any thoughts on the 709's??? It feels good in the hand and it's insanely small and easy to conceal, what're your guys thoughts?

Ive carried a PT709 for 4 years. It had 2 or 3 failures to feed on my first outing with WWB ammo. It has been 100% reliable ever since with anything I've fed it. The trigger, due to having "second strike" capability, has a long travel before the crisp trigger break. Afterwards, its a very short reset. I love this pistol. Some don't like the trigger. Also, when they were first released, there were some extractor issues. Mine has never had any issues and it's a Gen1.
    Also, I can only speak on Taurus, but their new pistols come heavily packed in cosmoline or some kind of coating from the factory. If you don't clean it well, it could very easily gum up and be a nightmare.
    Don't know if other brands are similar as I've only dealt with Taurus' new pistols recently but I've seen many gummed up and be jam-o-matics if you take them right out of the box and try to shoot them without a good cleaning. Usually just a field strip is all that's needed.

Oh, it's also very Glock-like with the trigger safety and the way you take down the slide.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Model 85 CH, 1996 mfr date. It works fine, and it even looks pretty good. IMO better than the newer ones. I have never had any issues with it, but then again I don't have a lot of rounds through it. It sat in my dresser in the box from 1998 to 2011.

I actually have it for sale right not as I am trying to consolidate calibers.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Gunsmith only no point in sending it to the factory you pay both ways so might as well have a local smith do the work if it breaks

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I think they are probably better than they used to be...

But I had 3 bad guns from them in a row several years back. Im done with them.

Its sad, because they keep coming out with some real cool looking new models. They are masters of that.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I have owned 6 different Taurus pistols over the past 12 years and have never had an issue with any of them. Through theft, selling, and trading I'm down a few, but never once have I had an issue with it not firing when the trigger was pulled. I know there have been many who have had problems, but in my experience, they are weapons that I would bet my life on if I had to.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Experience

So I've heard from some people that Taurus has had a few problems in the past but I held the PT709 Slim today and really liked the feel. It was very concealable, fit my hand really well, and I liked the trigger pull. Does anyone carry one of these or could chime in on recent Taurus quality and reliability?

Thanks.

A guy at the range I go to, has a PT 709 with over 4000 rounds through it. He has had no issues that are not ammo related.
    I should say here, that he is a fanatic about gun maintenance.
    I would say when buying a Taurus, if you can get one at a very good price, they are worth the chance.

Cecuda73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    NWI
    I have a couple of judges, a raging bull 44 mag and tracker in 357 they are great but, their semi autos not so great. I had a tcp 380 and a millennium not reliable at all.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Just in the last week at the range we had a customer with a 357 that had the chambers oversized, and another customer with a Millenium Pro that went full auto!!!
    The kid said he had nothing but trouble with that Pro since he bought it, I told him he has (and could have) a whole hell of a lot more trouble with it now!
    I gave him contact info and warned him...again I told a customer " well, it's a Taurus."

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would not buy one. I have seen too many with issues in both revolvers and pistols. Low quality to me. If someone is budget minded and does not shoot very much a Taurus may fit the bill.

For someone looking to put some rounds down range on a regular basis and for a carry option to trust your life with look in another direction and open your wallet bigger.

Top Bottom