What do you think of when you hear someone's a convicted felon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Typically I ask what it is for then go from there. Most all that I have met are good honest people that just made a stupid decision. )(this is my experience only I can not speak for others.)

You know one 30 sec decision ruins their whole life.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    If I know them I ask what they did, if not I just assume they don't want to share the details with a stranger. If they start the conversation with "Im required by law to inform you..." Thats the point where it gets interesting.

Everyone makes mistakes, some of us just happen to be in the wrong place when we make them. (Yes, there are some that are more than mistakes, but I choose to think most are) Who amung us can say that they never have done anything illegal, even unknowingly?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I like the part where an American citizen living in America becomes a convicted felon because he bought something from a company in another country that violated a law in that other country that the other country's government has declared null and void.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It all depends.. Sometimes I feel bad for the guys/gals. There are so many things that can lable you a felon just from a bad decision or six....

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    in my experience when you ask people what their felony is, you get the watered down, i didn't do anything wrong version, or the there i was minding my own business version. I have yet to meet a convicted sex offender that says, i molested a 6 year old. I often meet the i was 18 and had sex with a 15 year old...but when you research it, they in fact molested a 6 year old. There are exceptions. IN fact most people with DUIs admit that they made a stupid mistake. THink of it this way, when one of your friends breaks up with his girlfriend, he always says "that ***** is crazy". He conveniently leaves out all the things he did that made her that way.

McNab to Continue Serving Federal Prison Sentence for Lobster Smuggling

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    THink of it this way, when one of your friends breaks up with his girlfriend, he always says "that ***** is crazy". He conveniently leaves out all the things he did that made her that way.

I would never, ever do that.. That ***** IS crazy!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    in my experience when you ask people what their felony is, you get the watered down, i didn't do anything wrong version, or the there i was minding my own business version. I have yet to meet a convicted sex offender that says, i molested a 6 year old. I often meet the i was 18 and had sex with a 15 year old...but when you research it, they in fact molested a 6 year old. There are exceptions. IN fact most people with DUIs admit that they made a stupid mistake. THink of it this way, when one of your friends breaks up with his girlfriend, he always says "that ***** is crazy". He conveniently leaves out all the things he did that made her that way.

McNab to Continue Serving Federal Prison Sentence for Lobster Smuggling

So you don't buy my story that I was minding my own business in a CVS while OC'ing my Glock (in my right hand) and they overreacted and thought I was robbing the place? And when they started throwing money in the bag I happened to be carrying I got scared and ran out the door with it? It was winter, so I was wearing a ski mask due to the cold. I only ran from the police because I was scared.

To answer the OP, it certainly does have a negative connotation as soon as you hear the words "convicted felon." The best thing to do is find out why they were convicted and behave appropriately. I've known some convicted felons on a personal level and they weren't bad people, they just made some bad decisions. I do believe that after a pattern is set a person would be wise to be cautious. A one-time mistake is a little different. Just my opinion...

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I think they must be the absolute epitome of evil. No one ever became a felon due to circumstances beyond their control, or was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All felons intentionally violated the law. There has never been an erroneous prosecution or conviction in the history of the American justice system.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think they must be the absolute epitome of evil. No one ever became a felon due to circumstances beyond their control, or was in the wrong place at the wrong time. All felons intentionally violated the law. There has never been an erroneous prosecution or conviction in the history of the American justice system.

Looks like I will have to change my way of thinking. You seem very sure of yourself. :D

Top Bottom