What do you think the biggest threat to Hoosiers is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you believe to be the most likely disaster?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Number one threat for Indiana would be tornado.
    Number two is earthquake. Many people don't know much about the New Madrid fault line and the danger it poses us here in Indiana.

I agree that, by far, the most common threat is tornadoes. We have several every year. However, while they are horrible for those directly hit, they are a very localized event. A quarter mile wide, and a couple of miles long is typically the extent of major damage. Go a mile in any direction from it, and there is power, normal traffic, society, and open businesses.

On the other hand, an earthquake could devastate many square miles of the state, completely disrupt all infrastructure over a wide area, and result in such a wide area requiring SAR that people could be trapped for days.

I must say that, of all the natural events, an earthquake ranks #1 on my scale. For example, I can picture one happening while I am at work. I don't spend much time in my office, so I may, if I survive, have only my dressy work clothes on, and my pocket pistol. No coat, gloves, hat, etc. I work downtown, and park in an underground parking garage, which would likely collapse, making my car unreachable, so I would be without my emergency supplies. I would have a 10 mile hike to get home, and supplied as I would be, there exist many scenarios that make such a trip doubtful (weather being a prime one).

I've tried to figure out how to prepare for such an event, and really haven't come up with much.

Civil unrest comes second. While I could at least get my coat, I would still be in the heart of downtown ill-equipped to deal with it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Not trying to nit pick, but there are no 55' trailers. The max. legal length is 53' and tankers are shorter than that due to the 80,000 lb weight limits.

Not trying to nitpick either, but this is false. Trailers come in all lengths and widths......oversize loads can reach 1/4 million pounds and be 100ft.+ in length. You just need to have the appropriate number of axles (and of course the permits) There is a ton of stuff going over the road that exceeds 80,000#.

I know this wasn't your point, but I had to bring it up.....I come from a family of machinery movers.:D...carry on......:ingo:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Disasters

Like others have said tornados are the most common but lack the scope to be major, however if you not prepared it can be quite uncomfortable. My neighbor hood was in the path of that tornado that took out those apartments on the NE side of INdy a couple of years ago I was with out power for 5 days, but I had a 56k generator so I was one of only a few with power. some rented Gens in my area. Civil unrest would be high on my list If some towel head blew something up in Chicago, like a dirty bomb and people here thought fallout was comming or something, or God forbid some nut job takes a shot at our fearless leader, all hell might break loose! But the Biggest event would be an earthquake from the New Madrid Fault, part of that runs up by the Wabash river I think. Depending on the severity that could Disrupt basic services like water, electricity, phones, and SEWAGE! That would take the most prep to survive because your house or the things you have Buried could be severly dammaged. While supply wise I'm not where I want to be, I have plenty of Camping equipment and a good tent for shelter in case of an event like that. That could take a long time to recover from. The only other thing that worries me is China and N Korea launching a nuke at Chicago and missing them and hitting us!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    F-14 was it now?

I pick tornados, with floods second and man made disaster third. In the time I've worked disaster services and SAR I have responded to a dozen tornados and three floods. I know what is shipped OTR and via rail around and through this state and I am frankly not surprised we haven't had more chem spills/evac. The very first week I worked as an EMT up in Indy was when that f-14 crashed into the Ramada Inn next to the airport. My first experience with a mass casualty incident (though there were surprisingly few casualties).

I don't worry about civil unrest, that's one reason I live in the least populated part of the state.

And it was an A-7D Corsair piloted by Maj. Bruce Teagarden out of Nellis Air Force base, that's why there was not a whole lot of information about it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I do not live in Indy so I don't know how bad the riot there was several years back but I could see that as a small example of how people could get out of control and possible unrest after a natural or man made disaster. Also, a man made event could be as simple as someone who is a certain cultural leader being arrested or killed which is just a spark for a fire.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think it will be the United Nations...If Hilery Clinton enters America into a world gun control treaty with the UN they will try to register and ban personal firearms forever. Treaties are forever they don't expire and can not be reversed. They will come for our guns. Global disarmament is the UN's number one goal.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think it would take the government to break the treaty not the people. Government would open the gates so the UN could storm in and do the wet work for them. Wash their hands of it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm really surprised more didn't say floods since we've seemed to have problems every spring over the last few years.

I know south of Indianapolis here, the worst affected counties were asking for hams from up here to come down and assist with communications. Too many hours, with too few volunteers.

I've held back my opinion until now because I wanted to see what the rest of the board though. I've read some of the emergency response documentation. With Indianapolis being the crossroads of America we have a very high volume of long distance trucks and trains that pass through the central part of the state. Gas Leaks from tanker Trucks/Cars are a very serious risk.

However I agree that Floods in terms of how wide spread, and how debilitating they can be are the most likely "wide spread" SHTF scenario.

If "The big one" earthquake happens..... That's a horse of an entirely different color.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom