• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I had to laugh at some of the replies. My son and I have quite a few firearms in our collection - from semi-auto handguns, derringers and revolvers, bolt action and semi auto rifles, pump and break open shotguns, muzzle loaders etc. We also use a lot of surplus corrosive ammo as well as reloads and factory. I have and do use WW2 military cleaner on the firearms when we use corrosive ammo, sometimes use Windex (yeah I am completely aware of the corrosive salts which include Potassium Chloride and sodium cloride NaCL (table salt) and am aware ANY water based cleaner or just water will dissolve the salts, but the Windex spray bottle is convenient).

I have and do use a lot of different brands of cleaners including Hoppes #9 - Breakfree with Teflon (National Guard clp) and whatever I find marked down in the gun supplies aisle of RK, Wallyworld or other stores. I haven't really found any major difference in the performance of any of the brands. I do use copper solvent to remove all traces of copper in the bore after cleaning, before oiling. I do use a synthetic gun grease on the bolts and slides etc. (can't remember the brand).

We are somewhat obsessive about cleaning and oiling our firearms -we clean the same day they are fired - and have found ZERO rust in the bore or anywhere else after a year in the safe (If we haven't shot a firearm in a year or so we do an annual re-cleaning/re-oiling anyhow). I remember when I was a young lad in the 1950's, I would clean my 22's and shotguns with kerosene, gasoline or lighter fluid (Naptha) using a "bobby pin", a length of fishing line with a rag tied to the end, to swab out the bore several times then oil the bore (with a clean rag on the same line) and metal parts with either automotive oil or 3 in 1. This was all I could afford at the time. Guns always stayed clean and free of corrosion with bright bores as long as I owned them and worked well in all the temperatures encountered in Indiana weather conditions. I frequently wiped down the stock and wood furniture with BLO, (boiled linseed oil) allowed it to dry and wiped the excess off, this kept the wood in great looking condition.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My apologies to anyone who passes out while watching this video.

[video=youtube;SDJDIGONE8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJDIGONE8M[/video]

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Whos got 5 bucks to waste on a carwash bay? And you know, right when you get to the really dirty part, its gonna beep, and your gonna need a couple more dollars worth of quarters.

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I use some Hoppes stuff that came in a kit I bought at a retail store.
    I've heard/read good things about Ballistol but haven't had the motivation to buy any yet.
    I still have plenty of the Hoppes stuff so I'm in no rush to try it out.
    Unless someone can confirm its angelic cleaning properties.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    True-I know someone told me to use windex on my sks's when shooting highly corrosive ammo when at the range then when you get home to break it down and do a complete clean out. Have done this for several years and they have not pitted yet. So windex and human cleaning would have about the same ingredients for cleaning!:dunno:

I thought the windex thing is for the ammonia. An old timer at work told me to use ammonia after shooting corrosive ammo and he did say windex would work in a pinch.

AND........ once again didn't anybody learn anything from Steve Martin in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" about cleaning your gun!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom