• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm just curious because every now and then I start to think about selling mine, but I don't think it'd be worth it to do that. Most of the 10-22's I see in the classifides are either bone stock or highly specialized target guns, so people either want the price of brand new, or every penny they ever put into it with upgrades. I'm just curious what people out there think of 10-22 on the resale market.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    See them at the pawn shops , with some dings and scratches 175 very nice 225

this is for blued and birch stock

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have noticed a lot of obscene prices on 10/22s in the classifieds lately.

That's the thing, when I bought my 10-22 it was a stainless/all weather model for $250
    I put on a butler creek side folder that costs about $80
    Tech Sights $80
    Did a duracoat kit on it $40
    All the VQ parts on the inside were probably another $60

All things considered I've got around $510 at least in the gun over the years, but I can't imagine I'd get half of that for it. That doesn't even take into consideration all the $$ spent on mags that work most of the time.

The main reason I even brought this up is because a friend is asking about a semi auto 22lr and what he should buy. I told him everybody and his brother has a 10-22 and they're money pit. It seems like you could get a bunch of $$ wrapped up in a 10-22 and never get it back out, but if you just bought a more expensive 22lr like a M&P 15-22 or some other higher end 22lr that you'd have a better resale value if you decide to dump it off years later.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Just a few days ago there was a thread on here about not getting money back out of modifications to guns, it's not just 10/22s it's all guns.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    See them at the pawn shops , with some dings and scratches 175 very nice 225

this is for blued and birch stock

Wally World list on this base setup was $209 last summer, saw recently at $229... Considering they are basically bulletproof $150-$175 unless completely beat down is very fair pricing unless you're throwing in extras such as Mags, Optics, any Trigger/Barrel Upgrades, cases, etc...

My youngest is looking to upgrade from his Cricket if you're looking to part with it shoot me a PM with details... My only complain will be feeding another semi-auto 22LR @ the range... He's a lot easier to keep on ammo allowance with a single shot... :)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    All other things being equal, about $175 assuming a new price of 200-$225.

If there are a lot of extras then I would pay more but it depends on the mods/extras. Things that are highly customized can narrow the market. If you spent $500 to have the stock inlaid with cherry spelling out "I love rap" then you just decreased the value to me by the cost of a new stock (plus a penalty deduction). If you added a very nice scope then I will pay more. If you tell me that you spent $500 to coat the internals with invisible unobtainiam then maybe you did and maybe you didn't but getting me to pay for it is going to be a tough sell. If it is a visible mod or extra that is considered desirable to most people then you stand a better chance of recouping your investment.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    People accept that vehicles are worth thousands of dollars less by just driving them off the lot. However, nobody wants to take a $200 hit on a firearm. Its a strange world we live in.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    People accept that vehicles are worth thousands of dollars less by just driving them off the lot. However, nobody wants to take a $200 hit on a firearm. Its a strange world we live in.

That's very true! I never figure on getting the full value of selling a gun I bought brand new. I always assume that most people out there are going to want to get at least $100 off of buying a new gun or there wouldn't be much advantage of buying used. In the 10-22 I mentioned earlier I figure I'e got well over $500 in it, but I'd be lucky to get $350 out of it with all the mags from the right guy. It just seems to me like with 10-22's they're a money pit.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If I'm buying, anything close to $100....if I'm selling, anything close to $180

Ever notice how much more your gun is worth when you own it?

I have a Marlin Model 60 fetish, and for some reason I feel like I need to always own one more than I have. I am a sucker for the $100 .22LR used rifle. I love a good old fashioned single shot bolt action .22 as well...can't have too many as long as the barrel isn't shot clean out. Something about bolt action rifles...I can't put my finger on it.

Oh and I love Tech Sites, best thing you can do to a .22 rifle...but just make sure they are installed properly.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Generally speaking it is hard or near impossible to recover the cost for add on parts. They simply do not increase the value of a gun. Exceptions might be sights, extra mags or scopes. But even those are not worth new price.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Local pawn shop had a 10-22 that looked stainless but all bluing was gone. They were asking 175 and I just laughed. Wayyyyy too much when new ones are so cheap.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    An older walnut stocked, metal butt plate, and metal trigger group 10/22 in decent shape will sell for 200 -250. Later models under 200 and early pre dash numbers 300+. I used to pick up used ones for 100-125 when a new one from Walmart was 150-160.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I own a few 10/22's and have been buying a selling them for years. If it is a pre 2008 that still has the metal trigger group I usually will pay 200 bucks and not think twice. I don't own anything that was produced after 2008. If you are really watching them then you will know that there is also a difference in the magazines and the older one bring premium if it has the original mag.
    The 10/22's from the sixties are bringing very good money if you can find one that has not been ruined with sling studs or modded. I have at least 3 in my safe that are bringing between 300 and 500 easily. There are a lot of things that will determine what kind of value you can get. Overton stock, walnut stock, fingergroove stock, international stock from the 60's(yes there is a difference from then to now) limited run and etc.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I own a few 10/22's and have been buying a selling them for years. If it is a pre 2008 that still has the metal trigger group I usually will pay 200 bucks and not think twice. I don't own anything that was produced after 2008. If you are really watching them then you will know that there is also a difference in the magazines and the older one bring premium if it has the original mag.
    The 10/22's from the sixties are bringing very good money if you can find one that has not been ruined with sling studs or modded. I have at least 3 in my safe that are bringing between 300 and 500 easily. There are a lot of things that will determine what kind of value you can get. Overton stock, walnut stock, fingergroove stock, international stock from the 60's(yes there is a difference from then to now) limited run and etc.

I didn't know there had been so many changes. I bought mine around 1981.

Top Bottom