• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have carried a spyderco with an 8cr13mov blade for the past 12 years. I recently got a benchmade with a 154cm blade. I have sharpened the Spyderco many, many times and just recently sharpened the Benchmade. I noticed that the spyderco edge appears much smoother than the benchmade. Both are sharp enough to cut paper/shave hair. Is this a difference in the metal or something in the way I am sharpening? Admittedly, I am probably not the best knife sharpener around. Looking at these closeups, it appears I may not be holding the blade at a perfect angle.

SpyderCo:
    1663357571054.png

Benchmade:
    1663357532562.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I tend to look strait down on the blade edge to see where its not sharp. I use a diamond Lansky. Looking at the end of the blade you can see where work needs to be done.

20220916_164857.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You can always try a strop. I just glue a small piece of 6-8 ounce leather to a small piece of 3/4” mdf. If you want to really polish it up, get some green polishing rogue, rub it on one strop, do several passes per side, then move to your clean strop

https://a.co/d/6OmVgit

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Try and google sharp blades microscopic views or words to that effect. You can learn a lot.

And check out some blade sharpening tip’s sites, follow up with some blade steel sites. Lots of good info from pros out there.

A strop, even corogated card board work well. Try jewelers rouge on a soft cloth to finish your strop. Your knife will be scalpel sharp. JMO. And good luck, it’s an acquired skill just like shooting it takes practice. Again JMO.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You can always try a strop. I just glue a small piece of 6-8 ounce leather to a small piece of 3/4” mdf. If you want to really polish it up, get some green polishing rogue, rub it on one strop, do several passes per side, then move to your clean strop

https://a.co/d/6OmVgit

This is what i have been using. Diamond plates followed by ceramic followed by strop. Seems to get them sharp.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    bkmfvZi.jpg

Result of improper sharpening , when analyzing grain structure polish to 600 grit then hit with microscope. You also have to step up your edge polishing as you go 100 grit then 200 and so on. I usually finish my knives at 0.5 Micron strops for a mirror polish as seen above.

154cm is an OK steel that will take a decent edge , but is generally a bit on the softer side for my tastes. It is however a big step up in terms of quality from 8Cr13MoV , now that is a bad steel in terms of grain structure IMHO.

Now the newer powdered tool steel are epic in terms of edge retention and hardness CRU-WEAR is good but my current favorite is M390 or S110V

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    ^^^^^^^^
    Good info, it’s important to know about the structure of your tool‘s steal, my reason for suggesting the microscopic views first.

From my own experience I can say even the grind of the blade and style can make a difference. Hollow, semi hollow, flat, chisel, saber grinds. Or clip, drop, tanto, spanto, warncliff, trailing point. and many others. Each of these combined with the way you hold the tool and approach the stone has an effect. Some are more natural to you than others.

I’ve found the grind of the common Buck knife the hardest to sharpen, until I’ve sharpened it about 100 times due to the grind. After a time I get it shaped to the bevel that I can sharpen in a few strokes on a steel. Then a few licks on my dads old razor strop.

By the by, my dad was a union butcher for many years back when it was an honorable profession. Probably from the 1920’s to the late 1940’s when he went to war. He taught me.

It is a skill, and it takes practice.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The Razor Edge System is the sharpening system that I've used for the past 20 years. Worn out two sets of guides and working on my third set. Still using the same 8" hones, but the coarse hone is really dished ... maybe time to replace it. This system always produces a super sharp edge that is easy to maintain.

I have been eyeing the Wicked Edge system, but man are they spendy.

Top Bottom