• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    View attachment 231419
    Well, now it's shiny, but not much sharper at all. It cut paper before, it cuts paper a little better now. Still fails push test and just crumples the edge of a paper towel sheet.

There is a micro burr on the edge somewhere then, use paper towel and where the paper towel pulls during the cut that's where the burr is. Then when you strop make the angle more acute , say you sharpen at 20 degrees per side with diamond stones, go to 18 degrees per side with the strop. Most people don't realize this and the soft leather of the strop actually rolls over the edge dulling knife.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    I sharpened a knife I made for my son free hand on my diamond stones, got it shaving sharp, but if you look at the edge you’d think it was a blunt object, dull and just rough looking.
    Yeah, this looks nice but I'd rather have it sharp enough to whittle my hopes and dreams.

and the soft leather of the strop actually rolls over the edge dulling knife.
    This is probably my problem, I need to experiment more.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The steel will smooth out the burr.
    When using a knife you will bend the edge slightly when you cut things. Frequently steeling the blade while using it will straighten and restore the edge so it is always sharp.

Top Bottom