• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I really want a dog, but our lifestyle if pretty fast-paced and I don't want to be a bad owner. So, give me your opinion if this kind of dog exists.

I'm looking for a medium-sized dog (no more than 50 pounds), with short hair that doesn't shed very much. I'm alright with a little slobber, but not by the quart. :D I'm not sure if we can even start with a puppy, because he will be alone from approximately 8am-3pm on weekdays. That said, I wouldn't want to come home and experiencing "Wilfred's" objection to being ignored, demonstrated by torn couch pillows and pee everywhere.

He should be friendly, but I don't want a wimpy dog. So, I don't mind getting him trained to be aggressive when necessary. He can't be frightened by gun fire and not prone to barking and howling all the time. I love the American Bulldog, but I'm not sure if it's characteristics and personality fit my profile.

In short, I want the PERFECT dog! :laugh: So, should I give up on this desire?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think you get to spec out a dog like that:D

My brother has this little dog that his ex-wife brought home for herself...a kind of chiuaua/deuchand (if you spell either one that way:) ) mix...hardly the breed of a dog a "real man" would have chosen. But that thing took to him and now they're inseparable. He takes it hunting, shooting, etc. That thing must be one big bladder because he'll go off and leave it inside all day (he works 10 hour days) and it never messes in the house. Other than looking sort of odd, he thinks it's a perfect dog.

Happy hunting, Que

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    American bull dogs fart and they stink, when nervous.

Get a German Shepard mix... like the one that used to me my avatar here. He is a GSD/Rottweiler/ ?? mix. He is between 55-65 pounds, very smart, not aggressive if you tell him it is ok, but if you say nothing he lets one know it is his house/yard/ what ever.

Eager to learn and please, stomach is made of iron... Can also be a lapdog (he thinks he can be at least) or a total stubborn butt head.

Check animal control's website for adoptable dogs. For the $60 fee they get their shots, and the surgery, plus they have a report card that shows what they have learned about the dog while it has been in their care.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    A Boxer/Pit mix, but you'll have to find the right one to get one under 50. My Boxer Bull, Colt, weighs in right at 50 pounds. Very little shedding, relatively. Loves to go, go, go with us. Extremely friendly to ALL dogs and people, but will let out one helluva bark if he hears or sees something outta plays. Loves going shooting with me back at home. I'll upload some pictures later.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Beagles are nice dogs in that size group. They don't shed too much, but their barking might be a turn off to some people.

Stubborn little guys to, and if they catch a smell they are on it like stink on :poop: ours also did not do so well inside, got into everything.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Since a light shedder is required, I'm going to throw out labra-doodle

I FREAKING LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!!!! Very good dog! My friend has one, and she's very, very, VERY friendly. Doesn't shed much, as a matter of fact, I don't think she sheds at all.

My friends is a TOTAL goof ball though. She loves to swim, and you CAN'T lay down around her. She will lie on top of you, throw her paws over your shoulders, and lick you......forever.........

Very funny dogs

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I suggest that you look for a dog that someone has to get rid of due to moving, etc. You can go check it out in it's current home. That way you get to see what kind of humans it has been living with and what kind of treatment it may have had. I have also had good luck getting dogs at the shelter. Just don't get one that is too nervous or schizo, etc. It takes some time to go dog shopping but it can be worth it. I strongly recommend crating the dog during the day. It is better for both of you. Whether you get a puppy or an adult dog, you should plan to spend some time with it. They take some effort.

Good luck.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Well you just described my dog. She is a mutt.
    I am not even sure what the mix is but opinions from veterinarians are:
    @56lbs
    Dalmatian
    Beagle
    PitBull

If you can find that mix you might have a winner.
    Her temperament: she plays with other dogs, kids, loves people as long as they don't try anything hinky. She has pined on two separate occasions men trying to break into houses. She stop a car jacking attempt. Has bitten two people that were trying to break into our property. And finally when we were attacked by a pit bull as I was walking her she bravely squared off against him.

Like I said if you can find one like this:

IMG_0281_zps26748670.jpg

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Get a Corgi. Great with kids and family, not overly sheddy and totally fearless. They make pretty good guard dogs, too. And they're under 50 pounds.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well you just described my dog. She is a mutt.
    I am not even sure what the mix is but opinions from veterinarians are:
    @56lbs
    Datamation
    Beagle
    PitBull

If you can find that mix you might have a winner.
    Her temperament: she plays with other dogs, kids, loves people as long as they don't try anything hinky. She has pined on two separate occasions men trying to break into houses. She stop a car jacking attempt. Has bitten two people that were trying to break into our property. And finally when we were attacked by a pit bull as I was walking her she bravely squared off against him.

Like I said if you can find one like this:

IMG_0281_zps26748670.jpg

Is that one of those new Japanese robotic/cyborg creations everybody is buzzing about? ;)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Beagles are nice dogs in that size group. They don't shed too much, but their barking might be a turn off to some people.

I found one that I absolutely love, but Andrew (Profire Arms) won't give him up. His name is Chester and he's a winner!

Hmmm 50 pounds dog that isn't scare of strangers, that dog will be the BULL TERRIER
    Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope! Kimball (Bobcat Steel) has one of those and he jumped up and almost knocked out my teeth with his sledgehammer head! :xmad:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Start going to your local animal shelter and see what they have, adopting a shelter dog can be a very rewarding experience for both you and your new best friend!!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Is that one of those new Japanese robotic/cyborg creations everybody is buzzing about? ;)

:laugh: Smart alec..

Que- Get a Whippet mix mutt. OkieGirl loves hers. Gunner Dog may make an appearance at the Profire Swap Meet tomorrow afternoon..

Last edited:

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    The Dog Specs

Learn about dogs as you have firearms. If you are fortunate you will have one in your life that is more loyal than any human can be. If you want to spec a dog that way it wont happen. They don't come from the factory special order. I have had many dogs in my life but I rescued an evil Chow Chow pup about 12 years ago. I had to keep my promise to him 2 months ago. I never cried at my fathers funeral but cried like a baby when this one took his last breath. He was a fighter, not gun shy very well mannered and loyal. Not for all people or someone not familiar with dogs. Learn about dogs they are more than "just a dog" a good one might just save your life when you least expect it. Good luck in your quest, be gentle with the hand that corrects.

Top Bottom