• Which Dog Breed Do You Prefer??

• Total voters

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    My wife and I are planning to start a dog breeding business on the side and we need your input. Were contemplating on getting golden retrievers or yellow labs. Which one would you be more willing to take home??

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    We have a golden retriever as an inside dog. Great with kids, very calm, submissive - what my kids call an "up your butt" dog. She is always with you, laying directly behind you or near enough to see you. She's a tiny bit spoiled, will not go outside in the rain and dislikes doing her business in deep snow. Clear her off an area and she's fine.

The only con to owning a golden is that they should come with a free vacuum cleaner. Lots of hair being shed from this dog and we shave her regularly.

Our previous dog was a black lab - great dog but just too hyper for us. Labs need to be outside and active and entertained or they'll start digging and chewing up everything in sight.

If I were looking for an outside dog - Lab - inside dog - Golden.

Mike

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Most of my life I owned Choc Labs, now I have a Chesapeake. Be careful with those Labrador genes because those black and horrible behaviors of the Chocolate's just seem to arrive out of nowhere.
    I would believe Lab pups would be better sellers. Whatever dog you do, make super sure both parents have good blood lines and excellent hips.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Please define: on the side. In my experience, this equates to subpar breeding, half assing a lot of things that need to be "full assed", looking out for the dollar vs. What is best for the breed of the dog, and more dogs in shelters. My opinion is that if breeding a dog is a goal, it should not be a side venture, it should not be done for the dollar, it should be done for the love and the improvement of the breed overall. These are just my opinions. I have seen all too many people become "breeders" for all the wrong reasons.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm mixed between German Shepards and Rottweilers. Both of my dogs are a mix of the 2. Had black labs in the past, great dogs but not what I'm looking for, Golden retrievers are great dogs too but not my cup of tea either.

Also we have been going to the rescues and shelters.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dachshunds. Have 2 in our house and 6 in the whole family. Lots of people love them. Perfect family pet.

Although I've been wanting a Shepard for awhile....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would be willing to have one of these:
    NWS_2014-07-30_NEW_002_32451258_I1.JPG

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Probably just looking to get a male and female. Not looking to start a kennel. I grew up raising collies, so have some experience with raising dogs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My wife and I are planning to start a dog breeding business on the side and we need your input. Were contemplating on getting golden retrievers or yellow labs. Which one would you be more willing to take home??

Please define: on the side. In my experience, this equates to subpar breeding, half assing a lot of things that need to be "full assed", looking out for the dollar vs. What is best for the breed of the dog, and more dogs in shelters. My opinion is that if breeding a dog is a goal, it should not be a side venture, it should not be done for the dollar, it should be done for the love and the improvement of the breed overall. These are just my opinions. I have seen all too many people become "breeders" for all the wrong reasons.
    My opinions as well.

Will you be getting OFA certificates for the parents?

Most people now know that AKC certificates are worthless and not a guarantee of any sort of quality, conformity or health.

What will you do to insure your dogs conform to breed standard?

If you are breeding for money, then just don't do it. The world doesn't need any more puppy mills, not even small ones with only 1 breeding pair.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My opinions as well.

Most people now know that AKC certificates are worthless and not a guarantee of any sort of quality, conformity or health.

If you are breeding for money, then just don't do it. The world doesn't need any more puppy mills, not even small ones with only 1 breeding pair.

My thoughts as well.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    My opinions as well.

Like I said in my last quote, just getting two. I worked at a puppy mill with 300 dogs when I was in my early teens and I would never come close to that. All dogs deserve love and attention. I've always had a passion for them. I've trained labs to hunt for some time now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Like I said in my last quote, just getting two. I worked at a puppy mill with 300 dogs when I was in my early teens and I would never come close to that. All dogs deserve love and attention. I've always had a passion for them. I've trained labs to hunt for some time now.

Understood, but it doesn't even address my concerns/questions, and I suspect that others here feel just as I do.

1 breeding pair is still a puppy mill, just on a smaller scale than one with 300 animals.

If you are not breeding for conformity of the breed standard then what is the real point. Anyone can get 2 dogs and breed them. Doesn't mean they will produce quality dogs. Doesn't mean the dogs will be healthy. So again, and this is my last comment on your thread, please do NOT do this.

Top Bottom