• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The only common sense legislation would be that which eliminated laws restricting our gun owning rights. We have rights to own guns, they have no right to take them, or for the anti's to live in a gun free environment.

But then again reading comprehension is not their strong point. Just as freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    As said above, "common sense gun laws" is just a marketing tool to advance their agenda of confiscation. They're so full of s**t they stink every time they open their mouths. I called NPR once to refute some propaganda and was asked "well don't you think there are ANY reasonable gun laws?" When I pointed out that the NRA lobbied 3 years for an electronic records check system, before the anti gun lobby and their cronies in congress would accept it in any way, shape, or form, the response was "well...thanks...abda, abda, that's all folks!". They're NOT looking for their "honest conversation" in search of reasonable solutions.

That they think "gun free zones" are common sense gun laws when virtually every massacre happens in one, is proof that they're either liars pushing an agenda or they're "libtards" who have no business discussing public policy.

They might not have thought this through, but if they ever do manage to disarm the public, they'll have to regroup in their "war on guns" and support real common sense policies like securing the border in order to keep the narco cartels from flooding the country with AKs and other latin American civil war surplus

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Yesterday, a gunman in California killed his wife, 2 neighbors, then went on a rampage and attacked a school before being killed in a police shootout. He had been ordered to surrender all his guns last April, yet the neighbors often heard him shooting. He violated a bunch of laws including recent rulings against him. We can't have "common sense gun laws" for those in our society who have no common sense. It's like trying to reason with a person who suffers from dementia or Alzheimers.

It's like having a Universal Background Check that doesn't violate your personal information or add your name to somebody's list of gun owners that can be hacked or used against you. Right now, a LTCH is about as close as it gets.

On a similar note, why does a NICS check include the firearm? Shouldn't a FFL run a NICS check on the gun when it comes in?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's a phrase that focus-grouped well and means whatever you want it to mean. It also allows the anti-2As screech and bellow words that mean absolutely nothing.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Disarming you is not the end goal. The end goal is to take your right to defend yourself. To make it illegal to defend yourself. To be able to jail you for self defense. To take being in fear for your life away as justification for defense and as a legal defense for your actions. Or as a friend said,"[FONT=&quot]The gun angle is a distraction to the real agenda...eliminating self defense as a legal construct. That is the end game, after all."[/FONT]

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I would debate "Common Sense Gun Laws" by asking, "Why don't we come up with Common Sense Violence Laws?" Or, I love it when they say that the founders could not have envisioned the firearms we have today. But, I think the first semi-automatic ( or automatic?) firearm was patented in the 1780's-ish. I retort with, nor could they have envisioned the tv's or computers we use for free speech. So, Mr/Mrs Progressive, if you want Common Sense Firearm Laws, I want Common Sense Truth In News Media Laws.

Sorry for not getting that historical fact straight right away, brain on low batt......-------

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I thought I noticed a shift a couple of months ago by the anti's from using the term "common sense" to using the term "reasonable" gun laws. Same goals, just refining the sales pitch.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My same thoughts from another thread:

Common sense gun laws:

1). Remove suppressor legislation. I show them information regarding hearing damage and how suppressors are used in Europe.
    2). Remove SBR legislation. I show them a picture of an AR pistol with a sig brace and a SBR.....and show how silly BATFE is.
    3). Remove the Hughes Amendment to allow full auto firearms for public sale manufactured after 1968. I show them the legal path for owning full auto firearms and how silly it is to basically only allow rich people to own them.

That’s the conversation I start when they say they want compromise and “common sense” gun laws.....lets start there. Otherwise, it’s not really compromise, and it’s not really common sense.....it’s just them wanting to take away another piece of our already quite small cake. AND I WANT MY ****ING CAKE BACK! Personally, I’m done listening to anything they have to say about gun control until they listen as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here are a couple I'm in favor of:
    - Not allowing violent felons to have guns.
    - Not allowing violent crazy people to have guns.

I can probably come up with more, and probably not as confiscatory as what the Founding Fathers accepted.

Back in the day we used to hang violent felons and lock up violent crazy people in asylums. That was considered common sense.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think I finally figure it out, common sense gun law. No politician who is against the private ownership of firearms (any) will be allowed themselves, nor their family members to own firearms, as well as their security personnel.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The liberals consider it common sense that only police and military have weapons. That is their end goal. Occasionally one slips and admits it publicly

IMO if you vote for a Dem, you are voting for someone who supports disarming you. Yes, there are rare exceptions.

As a lefty, it boggles my mind to hear Democrats express outrage over wrongful police killings, then turn around and demand everyone be disarmed and the state be granted a monopoly on violence. Like, bro, you just said the state can't be trusted with a monopoly on violence because they use it to shoot black/poor people for no reason. Which is it?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    There are no such things as "common sense" gun laws. Any laws will be followed by the law abiding. Criminals could care less. I would suggest the term "common sense" is lost in this modern era of politics, much less the vast majority of politicians understanding the term.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    To me, common sense gun law would be pretty simple. Allow unrestricted gun ownership, but hold people that misuse them accountable for their actions. If someone commits a crime that is dependent on the use of a gun, bar them from gun ownership for 10 years of good behavior. If they go 10 years without any sort of incarceration or legal issues, then their gun rights are restored. If they abuse gun ownership again, they lose the right to own a gun for another 10 years.

If they use the gun in the commission of a crime, they get special treatment in jail. During whatever sentence they serve, they either lose social privileges or serve time under hard labor.

That's how I see common sense gun law.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    Agreed!
    My same thoughts from another thread:

Common sense gun laws:

1). Remove suppressor legislation. I show them information regarding hearing damage and how suppressors are used in Europe.
    2). Remove SBR legislation. I show them a picture of an AR pistol with a sig brace and a SBR.....and show how silly BATFE is.
    3). Remove the Hughes Amendment to allow full auto firearms for public sale manufactured after 1968. I show them the legal path for owning full auto firearms and how silly it is to basically only allow rich people to own them.

That’s the conversation I start when they say they want compromise and “common sense” gun laws.....lets start there. Otherwise, it’s not really compromise, and it’s not really common sense.....it’s just them wanting to take away another piece of our already quite small cake. AND I WANT MY ****ING CAKE BACK! Personally, I’m done listening to anything they have to say about gun control until they listen as well.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Only common sense law, don't matter what law they come up with only law abiding people follow the law. The bads guys, rapist, murders and the like don't care about law.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Here are a couple I'm in favor of:
    - Not allowing violent felons to have guns.
    - Not allowing violent crazy people to have guns.

I can probably come up with more, and probably not as confiscatory as what the Founding Fathers accepted.

You got some splainin to do Lucy.

I have read rhe federalist papers and The Sounders Second Amendmen and I am not certain what you are talking about.

Top Bottom