• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you consider "Proper Training"?

• Total voters

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I hear all the time that firearms owners who choose to carry for self defense should seek some kind of "training" before they carry. Unfortunately, nobody has yet to define what exactly constitutes "proper training." I guess it differs from person to person as to what they believe is proper training. So here is the question... What do you consider proper training?

ETA: Poll added

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    If you don't accidently shoot someone, you got proper training. Unfortunately, the medal has to be awarded post humously or at which point you swear never to pick up a firearm again. :)

Editted to agree with Kutnupe14: you should also not lose a gunfight. ever. or at least make a good showing at it.... (read with a semi-purple tint?)

As for classes, I think they can only help, but in the end it is what you learn, not the experience you have. Experience is worthless if you do not learn from it.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hear all the time that firearms owners who choose to carry for self defense should seek some kind of "training" before they carry. Unfortunately, nobody has yet to define what exactly constitutes "proper training." I guess it differs from person to person as to what they believe is proper training. So here is the question... What do you consider proper training?

The ability to know when to pull your weapon, to place rounds on target, and not hurt innocents. Simple enough, right?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I ask this because I have taken hunter's safety, the Utah class, and a Michigan CPL class. To be honest with you, I didn't learn anything in any of those classes that I hadn't been taught growing up, or researched on my own. I have honestly learned more on INGO than anywhere else, by hearing about interactions, and determining what I would do in a given situation. I practice as much as possible, even doing different practical shooting drills. I have researched Indiana Code to find out where I can carry, and under what circumstances I can use deadly force.

I'm not saying that everyone should be required to take a training class. In fact, I wonder what good the class actually does, other than teaching the 4 basic rules. I have to say I have learned much, much more through my own personal research than any class that I have taken.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think you need many things to make the "proper training" that one needs to carry a firearm.And I dont think you can find them all in one single class.
    Of course you need to know how to use your gun safely (4 safety rules and such) and know how to put rounds on target (trigger control, breathing, sight picture etc).
    For this I guess a basic pistol class is a good way to start.But of course it's not enough.
    To become a good shooter you need to spend hours at the range to practice.
    You also need lots of dry fire practice, practice draw from the holster and such.
    You need to know the law regarding firearms and self defense, local laws and more.
    You need to have the proper mind set (I think it's one of the most important), know when to draw your gun, when not to draw, when to use it, know if you are ready to use it to shoot another human being.

I dont think you can find anywhere any kind of class or training with the "full package" that I mentioned.
    Lot's of the training (like dayly practice, knowing the law, having the correct mind set and all those thing) will have to be done on your own and it's not something that you can teach someone during a class.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Proper training?

1. More.

2. 100,000 hours

3. 50 times the amount of the New York City Police Department combined (wait, that's far too low)

I'm working on it.:D

In fact, I wonder what good the class actually does, other than teaching the 4 basic rules.

It's just like any other school, training. Until I went to gun school I did not realize what a numbnuts I was.

Sounds like a good excuse to hit Gunsite 250 and let us know what you learned.

"Honey, I have to fly to Arizona, some guy on the Internet said so.":D

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I wish I could have picked both Hunter Safety and Practice, as I believe they are both valid points..... Hunter Safety will teach you the basics, but I learned as much, if not more from my father, and our MANY trips to the range.....

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I wish I could have picked both Hunter Safety and Practice, as I believe they are both valid points..... Hunter Safety will teach you the basics, but I learned as much, if not more from my father, and our MANY trips to the range.....
    This is the same thing i was thinking. I voted for hunters safety because it normally happens when you are young, and i think you need a good foundation. I have taken a few classes, and have a little military training, and i still think i need more information. My grandfather always told me " if you get to comfortable, that's when it will bite you in the ass". I have tried to live by this and never become complacent. I think you need the basics, continue practicing, and try to "learn", not just hear, as much as you can for the rest of your life. I also think that if people had, and used common sense, a lot of human errors would stop happening. I don't believe in gun accidents, only improperly thought out behavior, or a malfunction.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    I voted other, as 'Advanced Defensive Techniques' seemed too general to me.

I agree with Kirk... Gunsite 250 is an excellent place to start. When I finally got serious about learning how to use a handgun, I had the extreme good fortune of meeting a friend who was generous enough to share his experience with me (multiple Gunsite and Thunder Ranch graduate). Under his structured and focused guidance, I was able to progress up the learning curve quickly, which helped make my 250 class a great success. This experience convinced me that there is no replacement for quality training to learn a new skill (be it motorcycles, guitars, golf etc).

To me, 'quality training' means supervised execution of the fundamentals (stepping off the line of fire, clearing the cover garment, presenting the pistol, sight alignment and compressed surprise break, follow through, repeat as needed) until its second nature. It must be supervised so that corrections can be made quickly, before they become burnt into muscle memory.

Remember: Practice makes permanent.... Only Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Thanks,

Craig

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    "Proper Training" all depends on why you are carrying that gun, or knife, or baseball bat, or first aid kit, and what you intend to do with those tools.

Want to hunt? A Hunter's Ed class would be a great place to start.

Want to carry a pistol for personal protection? I'd recommend courses on firearms safety, function, and deployment, as well as courses on gun law and a defensive mindset. Some first aid courses would really top things off nicely.

Want to shoot accurately at 1000 yards? A course in long-range marksmanship sounds "proper" to me.

Now once you've taken those courses and received "training", you can now go out on your own and "practice" what you've learned. :yesway:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I shouldn't even think like this, but society has made me. What is the possibility of a jury understanding that you have taken training classes to know when/where to protect yourself and possibly acquitting you because in their mind you must have been justified in firing. Possibly help sway the verdict? Dunno-but figured I would throw it out there.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I find it funny that so far 40% voted for "practice practice practice".

IF you don't take a training class, HOW would you know what you're practicing is correct? You could be using bad and wrong techniques and developing bad habits while you're practicing.

You should take a training class and learn the proper techniques and then "practice practice practice"

Take a training class for what your goal is. If you carry a pistol for defensive carry and home protection, take a defensive pistol class.
    If you have a rifle or shotgun for home protection, take a defensive rifle or shotgun class.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I find it funny that so far 40% voted for "practice practice practice".

IF you don't take a training class, HOW would you know what you're practicing is correct? You could be using bad and wrong techniques and developing bad habits while you're practicing.

You should take a training class and learn the proper techniques and then "practice practice practice"

Take a training class for what your goal is. If you carry a pistol for defensive carry and home protection, take a defensive pistol class.
    If you have a rifle or shotgun for home protection, take a defensive rifle or shotgun class.

I agree with you, you need BOTH training and practice.
    Many people just take a class once and think they are trained, they dont practice after that class.
    Other like you said practice but dont have any training prior to their practice.
    Get good training and then practice to keep your skills sharp.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Training is a journey, not a destination.

I've been a certified instructor for 15 years and I learn something every time I take a class - or teach one for that matter. I take courses every time I have the opportunity, because "education is the progressive discovery of your own ignorance," as a wise man once said - everything you learn makes you realize how much more there is out there that you don't know.

If we were to substitute "minimum" for "proper" in your question, we might be able to define an answer a little easier. (Just a suggestion.)

To answer that question, in the context of the courses that I teach, someone should have Basic Pistol and both Personal Protection courses. Obviously, there are many other equivalent or higher-level courses, but that would be my definition of "minimum" training for someone to go walking around with a gun on their hip.

Guy

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    "Proper Training" all depends on why you are carrying that gun, or knife, or baseball bat, or first aid kit, and what you intend to do with those tools.

Want to hunt? A Hunter's Ed class would be a great place to start.

Want to carry a pistol for personal protection? I'd recommend courses on firearms safety, function, and deployment, as well as courses on gun law and a defensive mindset. Some first aid courses would really top things off nicely.

Want to shoot accurately at 1000 yards? A course in long-range marksmanship sounds "proper" to me.

Now once you've taken those courses and received "training", you can now go out on your own and "practice" what you've learned. :yesway:

I agree 100%.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I said othere because I believe all of the above is "proper". Hunters Ed starts you out. NRA Basic is a good progression, Advanced defensive training for carry purposes.and PRACTICE all you have learned.And anytime you have a chance to take another class is time well spent.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I believe that it is a MUST to be "trained" by a qualified individual that has some type of formal firearm training as well as YEARS of shooting firearms. I also believe that a person MUST practice, practice, practice. Before someone thinks that they are ready for personal protection they should be able to load, chamber, release a safety, fire and clear jambs on a firearm while blindfolded. I know that it sounds like a lot but as we teach our kids Shooting Sports we explain that once the bullet is fired there is no getting it back. It is a HUGE responsibility!!!!!!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

Even though I am an NRA Certified Instructor I voted "Other" instead of the NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Like a lot of things what "proper" means depends on your situation. If you are new to shooting or perhaps have never had training at all then some basic training is what you probably should look into. Remember, just because someone has been shooting for 20+ years doesn't mean they have been shooting correctly for those 20+ years.

Just practicing is not enough. If you don't know the proper way to choose, use and deploy a firearm, then practicing isn't going to help. "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." You should learn the basics and then practice so that they are second nature.

Once you master the fundamentals, then you can look into the more advanced concepts and methods for using a firearm for personal protection/defense.

If you don't master the basics first, you will have a tough time learning advanced concepts and practices.

Being an NRA Instructor, I of course think the NRA "Basic" courses are a good place to start and I encourage you to find some near you (even if it's not one of mine) and learn the fundamentals for a particular discipline (pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc). Then you can look into more advanced courses either through the NRA or other reputable training providers.

Finally, you hit the nail on the head when you said you've learned the most by doing your own research. Taking personal responsibility and interest in your training will result in the best type of learning.

Good luck in your pursuit of becoming a better shooter.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    The ability to know when to pull your weapon, to place rounds on target, and not hurt innocents. Simple enough, right?

I think the above quote covers most of it. All I would add is know the laws in your state (or states your travel through) and keep your attorney on speed dial, just in case.

Top Bottom