• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you consider "Proper Training"?

• Total voters

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Practice is worthless without knowing how to do something correctly first. Think about it, do you want someone who has not been trained to "practice" open heart surgery on you?

If you don't learn anything from a class like the NRA Basic or more advanced classes it is because you don't want to learn.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :D i voted other because all of them are good advice. with practice trumping the others i think..after you recieve training. also the military is good training. i always tell newbes to get some kinda training. once the bullet leaves the barrel theres no calling it back.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The question I would ask is training for what?
    Marksmanship? Legal responsibilities and liabilities? tactical situations? Strategies?
    Each of these would require a different type of training and therefore have a different type of "proper" training.
    You need to be comfortable with what you are doing. If you aren't you haven't had proper training.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I started with reading the rules then practicing them, and figuring out how to shoot on my own with the occasional tip from others.

Why didn't I take a class? Because of $$$ and the fact that I'm perfectly capable of learning on my own.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In WV, we had hunter safety classes in elementary, and that's what I voted for. That combined with living around guns, seeing them used, and using them. Is enough training in the safety department. Those shoot don't shoot videos they showed us have left an impression on me to this day, especially after I marked shoot on a deer beiing carried by two men just over a ridge that I WOULD HAVE sworn was still alive.

I think perhaps it can be different for someone that picks up a gun in adulthood for the first time.

Then practice, practice, and practice hitting what you are trying to hit.

Maybe its different on a rural vs urban level also. I believe my chances for being in an all out gun fight or mugging stem largely on where I spend my time. If I lived/worked where my life felt threatened then perhaps training classes under stress would be appropriate, but I don't and since I don't taking a training class once would be almost a waste of money for me.

I took calculus, chemistry, and physics classes once and never used them much now I couldn't solve a high school level calc, chem, or physics class probably and I view gun training classes the same way. If you aren't exercising the knowledge on a somewhat regular level then you lose it. Sure you can pick up a tip or two that might "change" your life, but there is enough learning for me through forums and you tube :)

We need to learn safety and respect for our firearms and if you have the money and/or enjoy continuous training, then by all means do so. I go take a Basic Motorcycle Safety class ever other year because i know I forget things.

My life is threatened more often in every day life by people drinking and driving, texting or talking while driving, or just being mad at me for some unknown reason. I have only had a gun pointed at me once. While on my motorcycle, I have drug center stands leaning over while getting out of the way of traffic taking my lane, I have had a stopped car in a round about roll forward and hit me because I was taking my motorcycle between him and the car in front of him even though I was not cutting line but taking a different exit.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There's a big difference between "Training" and "Practicing".

There's also a big gap between NRA Basic and Advanced Training Techniques.

Practice can not be overemphasized, however...

I prefer to use the word "preparation".

Prepare your mind. Prepare your body. The body can not go where the mind has not been.

Preparing/training your mind is reading, studying, taking classes. It's also knowing the laws and knowing what you can do and deciding ahead of time what you will do in specific situations. Action always beats reaction.

And the old saying by Vince Lombardi "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." <-- This is training, and what JetGirl means. (I think.)

in other words, practicing bad habits makes for habitually bad performance. Only practice good habits. To know what those things are you need to study the things that experts teach.

When it comes to personal defense, I believe that becoming expert at a few things is much better than being a novice at many things.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why didn't I take a class? Because of $$$ and the fact that I'm perfectly capable of learning on my own.

While I agree that learning the most on a limited budget is a sound idea, I think its worth re-prioritizing some things in order to get professional training. "You don't know what you don't know" rings true here.

I compare the issue to learning how to cook.

Sure, you can watch the Food Network on your own and you will keep yourself fed. (this is akin the guys who watch Magpul's AOTTC and then practice the drills on their own over the weekend)

Even better is if you've had a family member teach you from their experience. You learn more this way and your taste buds will thank you. (this is akin to the guys who learn from "a cop/soldier/seal buddy")

Or you can seek out lessons from a professional chef. It will probably cost you some money, but they'll teach you the accepted practices of the industry as a whole. They will be able to pull from various experiences and standards that Grandma just can't match. (this is akin to guys who pay to train with various gun schools and professional trainers)

And finally I guess the next step would be becoming a full blown chef yourself. :D (this is akin to those who make firearms training their career-- a very small percentage of shooters)

Point is that everyone needs to figure out for themselves where they want to fall into those categories-- it won't be the same for everyone.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    1. I suggest to anyone that is new to firearms to take a basic pistol course. Even before you attend you need to know the basics. A) how to load a magazine B) how to work the slide. C) how to work the safety/dococker if applicable. D) Most important property "SAFETY". Then it comes down to practice, practice, and practice.

2. Once you learn the basics, if you have the time and money, take some advanced pistol classes.

It's like anything else you learn, practice until it becomes second nature. I started shooting when I was 18, but I learned a lot when I was in the service. It definitely helped me with my shooting skills!

I see to many people at the range that have no clue what they are doing. They blow through ammo, do not know how to site in a rifle, or even know the basics of marksmanship.

Dminnick6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Muncie
    In my oppinion, no amount of trainin really prepares you enough for anything. that old saying " battle plans are lost with contact to enemy" applies to what i mean. But i do think proper training would be getting very familiar with whatever your doing/using and just lots of practice

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I haven't gone through all of these posts, however I know there are plenty of firearms instructors and selfproclaimed experts all over the place and so you will be sure to get adequate firearms advice and places to train/practice locally. The best thing I can suggest is to take some hand to hand courses as well, because the majority of gun fights are at close range but what most untrained personnel don't realize is that an average man close a distance of about 20 feet faster than you can draw and fire a sidearm....meaning knowing how to defend against a knife attack and utilize your weapon at the same time is going to be make the difference between life and death. People can criticize hundreds of forms of training all day long, but when the key to any is practice. When your adrenaline hits and your react the way you should, you will understand the purpose of training for real life scenarios.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    I ask this because I have taken hunter's safety, the Utah class, and a Michigan CPL class. To be honest with you, I didn't learn anything in any of those classes that I hadn't been taught growing up, or researched on my own. I have honestly learned more on INGO than anywhere else, by hearing about interactions, and determining what I would do in a given situation. I practice as much as possible, even doing different practical shooting drills. I have researched Indiana Code to find out where I can carry, and under what circumstances I can use deadly force.

I'm not saying that everyone should be required to take a training class. In fact, I wonder what good the class actually does, other than teaching the 4 basic rules. I have to say I have learned much, much more through my own personal research than any class that I have taken.
    OMG....you have unwittingly opened yourslf up to all kinds of ridicule and embarrassment. I have noticed that there are plenty of "well intentioned" posters on INGO that cannot wait to let EVERY ONE know how INTELLEGENT they are about guns. So....instead of actually promoting and encouraging others to get more involved in the hobby/ pastime, they have set up the classic "intimidating" gun store scenario.....by chastising anyone who has any kind of simple question. Is this the intention of this website??

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    "OTHER" proper training is when a old timer took you huntin or shootin and laid down the law, which was " don't be a dumba&&" and "never point at nothin u don't intend to kill" PERIOD...........

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have noticed that there are plenty of "well intentioned" posters on INGO that cannot wait to let EVERY ONE know how INTELLEGENT they are about guns. So....instead of actually promoting and encouraging others to get more involved in the hobby/ pastime, they have set up the classic "intimidating" gun store scenario.....by chastising anyone who has any kind of simple question. Is this the intention of this website??

Huh?

Top Bottom