What firearm is everyone carrying in an IWB holster or similar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Well, the OP might get at some kind of answer by looking at some previous INGO polls.

Most people on INGO (the largest group) seem to carry IWB on the strong side [1].

Also, most people on INGO seem to carry a semi-auto rather than a revolver. I'll say at least 75%ish. (I won't bother to cite the polls on this.)

Furthermore, the largest group of people also report carrying an auto of at least medium (to full) size with a 4" barrel. [2]

Put that all together and I think you'll find that carrying at least a medium-size semiauto (ex. Glock 19 or similar) in an IWB holster is a very popular option.

Eyeballing the responses to this thread so far seems to confirm this once again.

[1] - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/238328-concealed_carry_method_poll.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_type_of_holster_do_you_use_to_carry.html

[2] - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/153070-favorite_frame_size_to_carry.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e/64019-advantages_to_carrying_full_size.html

Thanks for the links. I was more interested in the size of handgun everyone was carrying and the barrel length to me is less of a factory than grip size and thickness. A nice three dimensional poll or plot would work great ;-)

If have a rainy day w/o billable hours, should compile the answers and post.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Was wondering what everyone is carrying now days when something more than a pocket carry is possible? (i.e. IWB holster under a square cut polo jersey, jacket, in a vest etc.)

1: A "large" pocket pistol (i.e. Kahr or S&W J Frame)

2: A subcompact full size pistol, such as an officer's model 1911 or the Sphinx SDP Subcompact is looking interesting.

3: A compact full size pistol, such as a Glock 19, USP Compact, Commander etc.

4: A full size pistol such as 1911, USP, M9, FNX, CZ75 etc.

Thanks
    John

Commander length 1911 S&W. Or else a S&W model 66 4".

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I made a liar out of my myself earlier in this thread. I never got a compact 1911 for carry. I opted instead to get a CompTac MTAC holster for my CZ P-01 and man I couldn't be happier with my EDC set up.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    G19 in a Desantis Nylon IWB, or a Kimber(1911) Tactical Law Enforcement Custom II, in a knock off Crossbreed style. I found a place that sells jeans for men with a flex waistband, allows a little room for any holster/firearm IWB. Also use a nylon BDU belt in either black or coyote brown. Stiff belt to clip/ or snap strap. If you remove the holster you just tighten the Bdu belt a bit. Works great.
    Good luck.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Always one of the 1911s, usually one of the 4" on compact frame.
    Currently, this gun in this holster.

Meanwhile, in Heaven someone tries to sit in an empty seat to the right of John Moses Browning...John Moses says, "No, that seat is being held for someone." "Who?" says the interloper..."Jetgirl" replies Browning..."That girl knows what's what...":D

Novocaine.223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Indy
    picture.php

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    M&P9C Compact, appendix carry IWB or M&P9 FS Strong Side carry IWB. I don't have any desire for pocket carry at this time.

Top Bottom