• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just curious if any of you have given any thought to flashlights for your emergency kit?

I'm not interested in batteries or rechargable battery flashlights. My little solar radio has a little light on it. I may buy a couple shake lights or those rock solar lights for the garden since they could charge during the day. Besides that I've got a couple of candles just because.

What are your thoughts on lighting when the powers out. I know it attacts attention IF seen and tactically isn't a good idea to be showing off, but if you're in a basement you're going to need to see.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have four rechargeable flash lights one mag light and the rest are streamlights, a good flash light at night cant be beat, they all recharge from 12 volt or 110.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm a bit of a flashlight whore so have more than a few of those and at least one in every kit/pack, mostly fenix other than that I have camping lanterns that get use at home when I know the power being out doesn't warrant me using the generator.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Here's what I'm using for now:

1. Surefire 6P LED
    2. Princeton-Tech Quad head lamp
    3. Rechargeable batteries w/ some lithium spares for cold weather
    4. Also looking at a Freeplay hand crank light for those more comfortable settings...

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Big mag light, plenty of extra batteries. Lots of candles. Propane Coleman lantern with several extra propane tanks. A white gas Coleman with about 5 gallons of fuel. Don't forget extra mantles.

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    whats with the flashlights? Must be my Riddick eyes that let me see in the dark :D

Lots of candles, small mag lights all the way up to hand help spot light

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Currently I have a Mini Maglight on my belt. I've got a much better Surefire 6P that dates back to 1989 or 1990, I think, sitting here in need of a lamp assembly and batteries :( The Surefire is by far my favorite light.

Bunches of other lights and flashlights around the house in various locations.

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    Got almost every maglite known to man throughout my house. I usually keep a single LED flashlight that takes 2 lithium camera batteries. Its bright as hell and says police on it. Got it at a local gun show for 15$ and it could blind someone in the dark. I think my brother stole it though. That was my favorite :( I usually keep a mini light on my keychain as well since it helps get into doors at night and can somewhat view in darkness so im prepared if I have to pull on someone/something.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Maglite LED are my favorite and are a good price compared to surefire and others LED's. I keep a couple of the 2AA models and the D-Cell models around the house. Where do you guys buy the long life emergency candles?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sounds like most everyone is using battery powered flashlights. What do you plan on using if the power goes out and the batteries are all used up?

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I was about ready to say... while we do have dozens of miscellaneous flashlights (I prefer ones that use AA's so the batteries swap with everything else) we also have Kerosene lanterns and candles. You can even make a rudimentary candle with tallow (or even less refined fat... but it will smoke a lot more and the smell is worse). But I won't worry about that unless it comes to it.

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    Sounds like most everyone is using battery powered flashlights. What do you plan on using if the power goes out and the batteries are all used up?

Have extra batteries and a generator with recharable batteries FTW :rockwoot:

I never really trust candles since the slightest wind would knock them out and I wouldn't feel like lighting them 100 times a night. I would just preserve my battery life for when I need to see rather than keeping the flashlight on the whole time.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    LED flashlights last a LONG time. Also, anyone worth their weight will have at least an 8 pack of AA batteries saved up. I would recommend candles for just having around the house.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I have a little of every thing from candles, shaker lights, LED, rechargable, battery powered, propane lantern and a kerosene fuel lantern.
    Also have solar powered patio lights that I would take down at night so as not to atract attention to myself if SHTF and just use them indoor.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Candles. Propane. Kerosene. Eventually starlight. We've had a few of the flashlights with generators. Squeeze kinds, shake kinds, crank kinds. The ones we've had haven't been all that durable. Last longer than batteries do, but not forever.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Buy the CR123 batteries in bulk online....much cheaper than getting a two-pack. They have a ten year shelf life if stored properly.
    I rotate AA and AAA batteries so that at any given time I have plenty of "new" batteries.
    And like any good gun-geek, I have many, MANY flashlights. They're stashed all over the house, in the car and in my Bug Out Bag.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    Several Maglites of assorted sizes, and Crank-powered LED Flashlights in the BOB(s). Also have several military emergency candles and a couple LED head light rigs with extra batteries. Don't forget the solar charger! :D

Top Bottom