What gun do you prefer for coyote hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I've got an old 788 Remington in .222 I like for Fox and Coyote. I call 'em in and most shots are fairly close.
    The .222 is quieter and doesn't disturb neighbors.
    I use the exact same gun. Works well for me. The only thing I didn't like about mine was I lost the clip in a 200 acre hip high in weeds field and when I finally found one to buy I was not happy at what it cost. It's been a while but 65 bucks is what I'm thinking it cost me. I added a little tension to the clip release spring since then.

Cadre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    If you are wanting to be a multi purpose gun go 243 or 260 rem. the 243 you can load from 58 grains to 115 grains the 260 you can load 85 grains to 160. If you want the abilty to be able to pick up cheap ammo go 223. 22/250 is a great gun and this is what I use but unless you reload ammo can get expensive.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I would say the .223 among all the other good reasons, it is the cheapest to shoot.

troutward

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    You will not be disappointed with a 22-250 and a 4x12 scope. Flat shooting with plenty of energy. The only draw back is the sharp report of the bullet leaving the gun, fix that with ear plugs.:)

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I use a 204 Ruger loaded with the heavier 40 gr Hornady and had good kills out to 150 yds. I waiting to use the heavier 45 gr hollow point instead of the VMax to see how it does. That said, I dont own a 22-250, but I have heard it is a great coyote gun.

Found out a 300 Win Mag works well to...... just rolls them a bit further. Use various calls, cheaper e-caller by Johnny Stewart and no particular brand hand held mouth calls. Coyotes and red fox have responded to both, but my best luck has been early morning right at first light. Im still not good at night.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    In the calibers you have listed I'd go for the 22-250. I use a 243, like the distance and groups I get with it. If yer gonna do alot, 223 is the cheapest to shoot. I reload my 243 and it stays respectable.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I use a 22LR if I'm really close to a town. A 204 if I'm 1/2 mile out of town. A 243WSSM if I'm out in the country. I've dropped coyotes dead in there tracks at 75 yards with a 22LR and 418 yards with a 204. Even further with a 243WSSM. Basically any caliber will do. Just make sure you are proficient with the gun and caliber you use.
    I prefer the ballistic tip bullets in center fire rifles. Less chance of a ricochet when shooting over frozen ground and definitely no FMJ on any animal.

I do prefer above all a semi auto. Works well for follow up shots for the double or triple that you call in. Most of the time you will get at least two coyotes to a call if you are patient.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom