• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There have been plenty of postings on all kinds of web forums about random parts on the Taurus breaking...namely the safety.

I've never owned a Taurus product...and I only have a handful of rounds through a PT1911 that belonged to my brother in law. He didn't have any issues with his for the short time he owned it.

-J-

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a taurus 1911 and is was a fine piece but with one warning, Many Many off the shelf 1911 parts do not fit, if you are going into the purchase like a man choosing a wife you will be happy with it because it is what it seems. If you are going into the purchase like a woman chooses a Man for and you see it for what it can become then you might want think about the RI because I think they are standard 1911

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a taurus 1911 and is was a fine piece but with one warning, Many Many off the shelf 1911 parts do not fit, if you are going into the purchase like a man choosing a wife you will be happy with it because it is what it seems. If you are going into the purchase like a woman chooses a Man for and you see it for what it can become then you might want think about the RI because I think they are standard 1911

Don't care for Taurus & never shot a RI 1911; however, I do like your logic in the purchase of a hand gun or anything else for that matter!

Semper Fi:ar15:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have owned both. The Taurus safety DID break on mine. It shot nice but had a dismal think blue coat on it. The Rock Island costs less and seems to me to be more durable. I sold mind bc I couldn't hit squat with it but that was my fault, not the weapons.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County

To the best of my knowledge, only the grip screws are not spec 1911 on the Taurus ( the head is slightly bigger). My Brother in law has swapped out several parts without any problems ( upgrades, not breakage). I have shot my PT1911 for about 3k rounds, without a single problem.

Both handguns are a great entry into the 1911 platform. Neither one is any kind of serious contender compared to higher end models. Whichever one you like the feel of better would be your best choice.

Keep in mind that the PT1911 uses Heine straight 8 sights. On straight 8's, you stack the dots. It takes some getting used to, and my brother and I have a hell of a time when we trade guns at the range for a bit:D. He has a Rock Island, but it is the basic stripped down version. He loves it.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    I have owned both and prefer the RIA. Taurus was not a bad weapon, just didn't really care for it. RIA is a great gun for the money you will spend. I would still push for a Springfield though...

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I have never owned the Taurus 1911; however, I do own several other models of Taurus pistols and enjoy each and every one of them.

I do own and RIA 1911 and have had no problems with it what-so-ever.

As with any piece of equipment, it can be apt to fail at some point. I have owned several HIGH priced name brand guns that have had parts fail. On the other hand I have also had some off-brand handguns that have chewed up targets without fail.

Essentially, pick the one that you like. Take care of it. Shoot the ammuntion recommended for that weapon. Keep it clean and oiled. Keep both rust and the politicians away from it and regardless of which weapon you choose, you'll do just fine.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i dnt own a pt1911 but i do have a taurus pt92, and i love it. very smooth. i have never had any probs with the taurus but like any product u buy somethng can break. one of the thngs about the taurus pistols is they have a lifetime warranty on all parts. im not sure about RI so that may b something to take into account. so get what u can afford and what u like.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've never shot a Rock Island 1911 but I would go with them over the Taurus based on the experiences of two friends who have had Taurus 1911s and have had many problems with them. Taurus finally replaced their pistols due to multiple returns to their customer service and their inability to make the guns work.
    I haven't owned a Taurus in many years since I had similar multiple problems with two Taurus revolvers that were also eventually replaced with new guns. If they built their guns right the first time, they wouldn't have to keep replacing them with new guns; that can't be cheap to do.
    The Taurus 1911s look great but, since you're asking for opinions, I would suggest going to something else. Good luck with whatever you decide and please let us know how it all works out for you.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Taurus is junk in my opinion. Had a Beretta look alike which was not best quality. Then purchased a 22lr. It took two fingers to pull the trigger. Took it to a gunsmith, was told that I'd have more money in a trigger job than the gun was worth. Went and talked to the dealer, he had another in stock and the trigger was the same out of the box. Never own another one. Not sure about Rock Island.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My son owns the Taurus 1911. It works fine. Nice weapon. I own two Taurii, 24/7 and 709. Both work great. Reliable when used with good ammo (I used some poor quality stuff at the range and had FTFeed troubles with both. But with quality self-defense ammo - even WWB JHPs - they go bang first time, every time.) My son's Taurus TCP is a work in progress. Constant FTF problems.

Of course, this was before that boating accident on Lake Wawasee. Soon as the water warms up I will try scuba diving out there.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had both, I still have the RIA; the Tactical. For the money it is nearly impossible to beat the RIA. I did not feel that way about the Taurus.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Not the Taurus

I don't have either but wanted to share an overall Taurus watchout. In late 2007, I bought a Taurs Judge the light weight model. I sent it over to my gunsmith back in Colorado (lived outside COS at the time) to do a trigger job. When I went to pick it up the gunsmith said the gun wouldn't fire any shotgun shell rounds at all. No problem with firing the .45 LC rounds. He fixed to fire both. Those with Taurus products make sure you break in your gun in ensure proper function. I'd pick the Rock Island...

Srtutt75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    I have the PT1911 I have put about 700 rounds through it and have not had any problems. Shoots nice for the money.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    i went through this same debate in november. i found far fewer problems with the ria 1911. i got the tactical full size and added an ed brow match trigger and a steel mainspring housing(factory was plastic). i havent had a problem out of it and it shoots good. it does not have the firing pin block. or any kind of lock on it at all. the parts i ordered dropped right in with no fitting. my grandpa just bought a springfield armory mil spec and i like mine better. the only advantage i can see in the sa is the finish. the finish on the ria doesnt seem as durable as the springfield. other than that seems like great quality for the price:twocents:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    IMO...

I would still push for a Springfield though...

:rockwoot:

I have owned several Springers & Colts, after starting life w a cheep Llama. When it comes to pistols, if I'm not buying a Glock, I'm buying a Springfield. The base models are very BASE. The next step up (Loaded, Champion, etc...) is where they start getting smooth.

If you want a gun to build that's worth building, get a Springfield GI, or the equivalent in a barrel length you want to carry. If you are looking for something already built & polished, go a step up.
    :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom