• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Went with a co-worker at lunch and fired off 30 or so rounds of .380 on his property(in the boonies). He had a Ruger LCP I wanted to see and try out. I have always been to a range with ear and eye protection. The only thing I have fired without it was a .22 rifle. I was caught off guard by how loud it actually was. I wouldn't do it on a normal basis as it would most likely damage your hearing (my co-worker is half deaf), but i'm glad I know what it will sound like if I were to get into a defensive shooting. My ears were ringing initially and i had trouble hearing clearly for 5 or 6 hours afterward. Anyone else ever shot without ear protection?

On a side note, I wasn't very impressed with the Ruger. It was all over the place.

Every now and then I fire without hearing protection, usually at a varmit or whatever. I already have hearing damage, I don't skip PPE without a good reason.

Regarding the LCP, it's not the gun, it's you. I've fired two and three KelTec P3ATs and with each one I can maintain a 4" full magazine group at 50'. If it doesn't fit your hand, or you are not used to a long trigger pull then you won't be very accurate with it.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Ok, so what TYPE of hearing protection does everyone use? Which is best? I have pretty much used just those E.A.R yellow foam earplugs. Really cuts the noise down, but also can't hear a darn word when someone is talking.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I'm target shooting I have earplugs and electronic earmuffs. During hunting season I have a pair of earplugs available and if there is time when I spot a deer or turkey I'll slip them in, but if I don't have the time I am not overly worried about a shot or two. I tried electronic muffs for hunting but they didn't give me good directional capability.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My dad's cousin was a police officer and returned fire wounding a criminal. He fired 1 shot from 357mag and lost 90% hearing in his left ear.

There's just something about the 357mag that gives it a real bad crack compared to other calibers.:twocents:

Many years ago I fired several 357 rounds without hearing protection and it definitely produced a different effect than other handguns I have shot without hearing protection. Wasn't sure if it was due to it being a revolver vs an auto pistol and blast/sound escaping from cylinder gap, but I could not hear properly out of one ear for several days.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have fired at least a few shots from each of my firearms to get an idea of what it would be like to use them in a SD situation without earpro. It is much louder than expected. Especially indooros. Even a .22 rifle indoors or under baffles is a little painful.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I hunt without hearing protection. I'm not sure if its the concentration or the adrenelin rush of sighting in on a deer but I have never had my ears ring after taking a shot. I always use hearing/ eye protection when at the range.

Same, I always hunt without hearing protection (12 ga. slug) and have never had a problem with ears ringing afterwards, or usually even remember feeling much recoil. I chalk it up to adrenaline.
    I'll shoot .22 rifle without ear protection, .22 pistol or anything bigger gets hearing protection.

Top Bottom