WHAT HAPPENS IF CAUGHT CARRYING IN A NON RECOGNIZING STATE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    What would happen if say--I was carrying in Illinois and was pulled over for some reason and the officers noticed my handgun? Or say WI where I go flyfishing after driving thru Illinois?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Depends on the state. In some parts of Illinois the cop might just let you skate, but I wouldn't count on that in Chicago. I don't think anything would happen in WI. If you were in Jersey and got caught, (and had the "wrong" kind of ammo) you'd go to prison. It really just depends on the state and the cop.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    What would happen if say--I was carrying in Illinois and was pulled over for some reason and the officers noticed my handgun? Or say WI where I go flyfishing after driving thru Illinois?

Wisconsin now recognizes the Indiana LTCH. Illinois will charge you. You will at least pay a fine and loose your handgun. Just unload it and put it in the trunk until you cross the border and enter a free state.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    In Ohio you will spend thanksgiving weekend in jail and fight a felony charge when they release you. Then you will plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge agreeing to forfeit your pistol and slug gun and give up your LTCH For 2 years. At least that happened to "someone I know" back in 2000.

Oh yeah. Spend a couple grand on a lawyer too.

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Depends on the state. In some parts of Illinois the cop might just let you skate, but I wouldn't count on that in Chicago. I don't think anything would happen in WI. If you were in Jersey and got caught, (and had the "wrong" kind of ammo you'd go to prison. It really just depends on the state and the cop.

This says it all. It also depends on the location you're caught in and the person who catches you. Just unload it and leave it in your trunk. IMO I just don't think it's worth it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rottenecards_50596271_8h8wxsd6my.png

Now approved by the SCotUS. ;)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a friend loose his Glock, have to appear before a judge and ended up on the no fly list. this was in Cook County or should i say country seening how they don't have the same rights as most of America.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Oh my God.

It's LOSE, people. Loose is the opposite of tight. TWO TIMES IN ONE PAGE.

It's agonizing. Please use the correct words. Please.

You cannot "loose" a gun, because "loose" is not a verb. "Lose," however, is, so once you lose your gun, it's lost. If you loose it, it won't be loost, but you should take it to a gunsmith for proper fitting.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You cannot "loose" a gun, because "loose" is not a verb. "Lose," however, is, so once you lose your gun, it's lost. If you loose it, it won't be loost, but you should take it to a gunsmith for proper fitting.

While I commiserate with you, a true grammar nazi would know that loose can be used as a verb. ;)

OP, if you decide to carry where you legally can't you're taking a risk, you need to be prepared to live with the consequences.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Oh my God.

Really? Lets get excited about a grammar or perhaps even a typing error. Everyone who did this, go back and immediately edit your post. We can't loose no grammar skills here. We gots to speak English good :laugh:

Buddy I'm just giving you heck, but in all honesty it shouldn't bother you that much. I noticed it too but I didn't comment on it. I understand its agitating but it's really not that important. :dunno:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Oh my God.

I did know the grammar police were on duty or I'd have been more careful. I'll just blame it on my meds. :D

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Really? Lets get excited about a grammar or perhaps even a typing error. Everyone who did this, go back and immediately edit your post. We can't loose no grammar skills here. We gots to speak English good :laugh:

Buddy I'm just giving you heck, but in all honesty it shouldn't bother you that much. I noticed it too but I didn't comment on it. I understand its agitating but it's really not that important. :dunno:

Some of us care about the image firearm enthusiasts portray to the outside world. It's a lot easier to portray us all as ignorant hillbillies when we can't master the difference between their and they're and your and you're.

My apologies for the thread-jack.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Just "axe" the police officer if he can give you a break. Tee Hee. No really, in the state of Ohio they are very serious about the firearm laws. My sons best friend is a State police officer and he has said in the past 3 years he has arrested and taken away 5 different firearms and all men went to jail until seeing a judge. Losing the firearms and fines. He has been told by the commanders no one gets a free ride until laws change.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

loose may be used as a verb, as in, to "loose" an arrow, means to let fly.

Top Bottom