What happens if you don't pay credit card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have been talking to friends & co-workers about the open house for the David Ramesy program that will occur this wed. (See here for more details:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._house_the_debt_snowball_by_david_ramsey.html)

In any case some of the people (not really a friend more like someone I commute with) told me the following as I told her about the program and it left be with a "hu?" "I don't know".

The conversation went something like this.

me: so are you coming on wed?

her: why?

me: it's good info

her: how about I just stop paying me credit card debt. What are they going to do?

me: Well you are going to get hit with a late payment, your interest will probably increase heck worse they will send it to a collection agency.

her: ok so. I won't pay the collection agency either.

me: your credit will do down the tube

her: so? I have no plans on buying another house or car.

me: okay perhaps not another house but what about another car in the future. How are you going to get it financied since...

her: I'll pay in cash for the next car.

me: ... OK but the collection agancy will still all you.

her: I'll cut my phone/cell. What are they going to do? If I have no money I have no money they can bother all they want I won't pay.

---
    At this point the conversation ended as we got to the station.
    This left me a bit out of it. I've always paid on time even if I had to cut in other places but thinking about her logic I wondered about it.

So what happens after the collection agency? I guess in my mind I have taught getting sued by the credit card company, getting my wages garnish like they do for child support, etc.

Do they sue? And what if they do and the judge says you have to pay xyz dollars and you don't what happens then? Don't they throw you in jail for not paying? Can they toss you in jail since this is a civil thing?

I did not want to push this with her anymore since I bumped into uncharted waters on my end. So anyone know what happens?

Seems to me that if you are not going to pay (for whatever reason) then perhaps bankrupty is what you should do.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    To the best of my understanding it's an unsecured loan. Which means they have no real recourse other than trashing your credit. perhaps some one with more knowledge will chime in here. I tend to believe that if you use the card you pay for it, because it's an agreement between you and them and to not pay it is breaking your word.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    According to my Dave Ramsey friends, the CC is limited in their ability to hurt you unlike a Mortgage company that can make you homeless. That is why you NEVER take out a second mortgage to pay off CC debt.

The CC is all bark and no bite. They can storm and storm but not cripple you beyond your credit score.

The Mortgage company is all bite and no bark. They may do little to warn you before they take your house for late payments.

That being said, it is a moral duty to pay off debts even when they are massive, and owing the CC should not change that imperative. Do what you can, as fast as you can, and keep it up.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Credit card companies are slow to sue, but if you owe a lot, they can go to court and garnish your wages.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    They will sue you in the local small claims court and they will win. A judgement will be awarded them and will be automatically deducted from your paycheck...to the tune of one-fourth of your take home pay...plus 18% interest. And they do not care what you will not be able to pay once your check is 25% less.

Quit your job to avoid paying and they will throw you in jail for contempt. Ask my ex... :laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    They will sue you in the local small claims court and they will win. A judgement will be awarded them and will be automatically deducted from your paycheck...to the tune of one-fourth of your take home pay...plus 18% interest. And they do not care what you will not be able to pay once your check is 25% less.

Quit your job to avoid paying and they will throw you in jail for contempt. Ask my ex... :laugh:

This is per Indiana law? I ask so I can show her some concrete proof of what can happen and as I have done a few Google searched I'm seeing that it variyes what they (CC) can do from state to state.

Heck I think the solution would be bankrupty if she is going to take that attitude.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd like to point out the stupidity of the republicans caving to the CC companies when they passed the new bankruptcy laws.

The current economic issues were plain as day to them and they knew this day would come.

Bankruptcy is not what is was. Very few people can qualify (read anyone middle income) and they wind up in 'debt resettlement'. You still have to pay it back and get your credit screwed. Yippee. Thanks again bush! FYI if you are the people making no money (read welfare whores) they are about the only ones who qualify for bankruptcy anymore.
    ----
    The above posters are mostly correct. If you don't pay eventually you go to court and the collection agencies garnish your wages.

Keep in mind AFTER day 90 you stop paying, you no longer owe the CC company a penny. The debt is (contractually) gone. The CC company sells your debt information to a collection agency.

Short and simple, settle w/ the CC company BEFORE day 89. They will work with you (considering). Once you go to collections it's game over in the long run.

On the flip side, if you only owe 300 or less, collections will only send letters and phone calls. Over 1,500 and you WILL go to court. 300-1,500 is up in the air on how long and what happens.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN

I can attest to this, recently when I was off injured at work (couldn't work for 3 years), maxed out a couple of c.c's to keep food on the table. Couldn't pay them, stopped talking to them. Then I was sued, and had my paycheck garnished. I'm all out of debt now and trying to build my credit back up...But if you can't pay them, at least talk to them, they will work with you. Besides you'll get stuck with court costs. While my paycheck was getting garnished I had a bank sue me cause I owed $100, ended up getting a judgment against me for $593. Since my check was already being garnished, they couldnt garnish it at the same time. I recieved another court date, where I was supposed to pay, mis-placed the paperwork, and went to court on the wrong day. Thats when I found out I had a warrant out for my arrest. I ran to Check-n-Go so I could pay it before I went to jail. Don't mess with creditors.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    This is per Indiana law? I ask so I can show her some concrete proof of what can happen and as I have done a few Google searched I'm seeing that it variyes what they (CC) can do from state to state.

Heck I think the solution would be bankrupty if she is going to take that attitude.
    Probably the quickest answer to that would be to call one of Marion County's civil courts. It's legal...but I can't quote you civil code. I can only tell you from experience (fortunately not my own) what happens.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all. I'm just going to print these post out and show them to her. I'm not sure if she was playing devil's advocate or being serious. In any case I'm going to see if I can get her to go to the open house on WED.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My mom has never once taken any foodstamps or welfare and she filed for bankruptcy under the new laws and got her debt wiped clean. Granted, she had in excess of $25K in debt, but she didn't include her mortgage as they would have taken her home in the route she took. And bankruptcy doesn't ruin your credit as some would believe. After my mom's bankruptcy, she took her tax check and went and bought a nice car that she financed and still got a decent interest rate. Now that's not to say the bank won't hit her hard if she ever misses a payment, but I doubt that will ever happen since she only owes like 2-3K on a 9K car...

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    sounds to me like she needs to either work something out with the creditors or file chapter 13 BK. the creditors will make her life a living hell,they will start by calling her home and cell none stop {usually once an hour} then they will start contacting family members and her work,she can have the calls stopped by writing a letter to the creditors telling them to please stop contacting her,family and work but its still nothing but a headache,she will eventually be sued and her wages will be garnished. things come up and people have a hard time making ends meet.
    my wife and I both had good jobs and where living well within our means,at no pint where we ever rich but we where comfortable...then my wife lost her job and I took a 20% pay decrease and fought every month to be able to pay for the cars and our mortgage not mention put food on the table and make sure my daughter had everything she needed at the start of this year it got to where I was working multiple jobs along with my normal "day job" just trying to make ends meet and with school being out we would have to pay $200 a week for day care for my daughter so my wife taking on some burger flipping job would be pointless as her whole income would go to pay for day care so she has been staying home taking care of our daughter. and my income is just enough to pay the mortgage and put food on the table and pay some of our smaller bills and all of our savings are going towards other bills and will be gone very soon.
    will be forced to start selling things soon to pay bills so we decided the other day we couldnt handle this anymore and hired an attorney to file BK,we are going to reaffirm our car and let everything else go. I was forced to sell most of my guns the other day to pay for an attorney. what gets me is how much it cost to file...obviously if you need to file you are broke so how do they expect someone to come up with $1k to pay a lawyer then $300 to file plus $50 a piece you have to pay to take the required credit counsling classes and then after you file you are required to pay to take more counsiling classes. thankfully I had things I could sell to pay for this stuff. bad things happen to good people and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you can't pay due to no fault of your own, then my sympathies.

If you can't pay due to poor decisions on your part, or you just feel that the "system" will absorb any losses, and you ain't payin...... I hope you get yer clock cleaned, and I'm tired of supporting yer a$$

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you can't pay due to no fault of your own, then my sympathies.

If you can't pay due to poor decisions on your part, or you just feel that the "system" will absorb any losses, and you ain't payin...... I hope you get yer clock cleaned, and I'm tired of supporting yer a$$

I like this guy. :D +1

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I like Jay's thinking as well. I'm sick and tired of paying other people's debt do to poor choices on their part. It's time that people be held accountable for their own actions. Stand up and be a good person and pay your debt, I have my entire life.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The first thing out of my mouth is that "you have a moral obligation to pay."

But it seems that morals aren't what they used to be.

Top Bottom