What happens if you run an oversized muzzle brake?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

"It’s no secret it’s possible to run an oversized caliber brake on your firearm.
    The question remains: should you? We put some oversized brakes to the test on our recoil rig, and the results might surprise you. Check out what happens in this video!"

Good information.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's a pretty good brake on the Weatherby MK5 in 460 and I imagine on 378 but I don't own one. Never fails to get everybody's attention when you touch off higher powered ammo. ;)

enough gun.jpg

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    There's a pretty good brake on the Weatherby MK5 in 460 and I imagine on 378 but I don't own one. Never fails to get everybody's attention when you touch off higher powered ammo. ;)

View attachment 338691
    OK, completely off topic, but I knew a guy in Colorado that thought a .340Weathery was just about the best round for Colorado antelopes!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    good stuff dadsmith. I’ve never considered that with brakes, only suppressors.

It was interesting to see how much more bare muzzle was compared to any of the brakes.

Side note about brakes I learned this week, you absolutely can over tighten a muzzle device. So much so that it compresses the bore. Brownells did a video about it where a pin gauge was passed through with proper torque, but with excessive torque pin gauge almost sticks in bore. Never would have guessed that.

Top Bottom