What happens when you have too much time............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Zero reason that room cannot also be a "severe storm room". Just don't close the door. The room will protect you well enough without the door being closed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, man . . .

I've been fantasizing about a poured concrete home for a long, long time. Fire-proof!

It's awesome to see someone making it happen and with a custom secure room incorporated from the start.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Zero reason that room cannot also be a "severe storm room". Just don't close the door. The room will protect you well enough without the door being closed.

Or also install a standard steel exterior door on the inside that swings in. See an old lady on a bicycle flying through the air? Run in leaving the vault door open and close the steel "storm door". Might also be useful for situations where you want to secure the room quickly, but dont feel the need to use the vault door. Like if you are going in and out frequently and dont want to leave it open and dont want to hassle with the combo repeatedly.

But you might want a way to latch the vault door open so in the chaos of wind, etc it doesnt accidentally shut.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Those are the "ties" that goes through the wall. Metal straps that hold the forms together. You take a hammer and smack the top of them and they break off flush with the wall.

I miss those days when I did concrete construction after high school and before the service. Was amazed at how fast from set up, pour, to tear down that basement walls could be made. Was making good money too back in 04 for a recent high school grad.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Will be working tonight on the fire doors for the ventilation ports. I wanted ventilation, but retain fire resistance, so hvac ducts were out as there is no easy way to close them off in the event of a fire. I have instead, made 2 ports that are now in the walls. They can be seen on either side in the first pic. They are 8" dia, with 3/4" solid bars through the middle, and will have an 8" duct fan on the inside of each one. One pulls air in, and the other pushes air out. I'm thinking that this may provide enough air movement from the living area of the basement, to keep the temp and humidity inside the same as the rest of the basement. Here is a little better shot of the port.

nyzbet.jpg

Now for the fun part. I needed a way to close these off in the event of a fire. They would have to be "automatic". Sounds a lot more complicated then it really is. First off, this is all made of 1/4" steel, with the hinges 3/8". The only thing less then 1/4 is the inner lip that engages the rope seal. They will bolt to the outside of the wall over the ports with fire calking between the plate and the wall. They will hinge up, and tie off to the ceiling with a small plastic zip tie. In the event of a fire, the plastic melts, letting the door shut on its own. This one in the pics is almost done. Just a few minor details yet, and I think I'll add a weight to the outside of the door at the bottom to hold it closed a little better, then they will be ready to paint and mount to the wall. Here is pics of the first one. Pics may be sideways.

2h6zzom.jpg

5wgxvd.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i don't have a motherinlaw

If that is because you do not have a wife, then that explains why you have so much time to plan and the money to be able to execute on something like this.

On a serious note, pretty awesome so far. Looks like a basement that would have even Kirk Freeman drooling.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    If that is because you do not have a wife, then that explains why you have so much time to plan and the money to be able to execute on something like this.

On a serious note, pretty awesome so far. Looks like a basement that would have even Kirk Freeman drooling.

I do have a wife, so I guess technically I do have a motherinlaw, but I have never met her, my wife hasn't seen her sense she was young, she is in Central America and doesn't speak English. So it's like I don't have one.

On another note, my wife is pretty awesome. She works nights, but when she isn't at work, she is right there with me in all of this. She's not the typical wife.

As as fas as the cost of this goes, it will work out to add less per month to our house payment then what additional insurance would cost. It's a win win.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW!
    You have a wife and you don't have to deal with your mother-in-law?

Do you know how lucky you are. :bowdown:

Top Bottom