• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's been my experience that the guys who work in gun shops are some of the most ignorant people that I speak to when it comes to guns. The guy at the gun shop is the LAST guy I will ask for advise.

There are of course, notable exceptions but typically I find them to be macho redneck buffoons. You should research yourself, or at least protect yourself by going to Bradis

You evidently don't shop where I do.

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    It is because of us,buyers, that they have jobs, its like going to a fastfood place and employee has the attitude like come on your taking up my time, I wouldnt expect anything other than attitude at midwest,I quit going there. Also, i will go somewhere else to pay too much for ammo and guns, zx is my new gun store.Zx has good prices, inventory, and good people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    We know way less than the folks that come in to buy guns...Truly the customers are the smartest and most knowledgable about guns....I mean some of these guys are like prestige level 20 on Call of Duty...

Just curious...Do you let the guy at the gun shop know you think he is an ignorant macho redneck buffoon at the shop or do you wait until you get home???

No, I never (at least, rarely) treat people rudely, unlike clerks at gunshops. For the most part I spare myself the pain and follow my own advise...... I go right to Bradis first, so there are never any problems.

From the way you are getting bristly I am betting that you work at Pop Guns.......

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    It is difficult to hold one's tongue sometimes... I was in a gun shop in North Central Indiana (I won't say the name because the person no longer works there) looking at a .30-06 (used) 700 Remington rifle, when a sales/helper person came up to me and engaged me in conversation. He took it upon himself to quickly inform me that I would never be as happy with "That ole .30-06" as I would be with a .308 Win... He went on to explain to me (as I listened) how a ".308 was more powerful then an ole 06." "Had a better bullet selection available then an ole 06, if I wanted to reload." and so on. But the funniest thing he said was "He would much rather have a 7.62 any day over a .30 caliber for hunting."

I thanked him for his knowledge.

I avoided him from there on any time I was in that gun shop. :)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    LOL, I go to the LGS's, poke around and have often been asked, "Can I help you with something", or similar words.

In this current market, I just say "Yeah, when the prices come back down", LOL... :D

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Try being a woman! I was in one store recently and they wouldn't even acknowledge my presence. When I finally did get their attention, he was rude and condescending. I will NOT be going back!

Last time I tried being a woman in a gun store, I got nothing BUT their attention.

It did not end well.... :n00b:

Midwest Gun's management does NOT generally promote Doofisim.
    It just comes natural to some individuals. What he said to you is very questionable, for sure, but don't let it stop you from going back there. They do have some great deals at times.

ZX Guns is also a great shop in the area. As is Granger Guns.

Ultimately, I too like to touchy, feely things before I buy them but, I have personally bought more items on Gunbroker and Sturmgewehr than all the gun shops and gun shows I've bought from combined.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    As everyone else said. Alot of new gun owners with alot of question. I've came across a few gun shops I wont mention that they had terrible customer service and were very rude to customers for asking what they would consider a dumb question. Needless to say ones closed now the others under new ownership. Anymore now adays its more convenient and cheaper to shop online. That also being said nothing can replace the advice of a knowledgeable gunshop owner that can help you with your gun problems vs looking up info on endless forums.. If your ever in the logansport area Downham and sons, Doug is a great guy and can help you with about anything.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Here is my all time favorite...I called a gun shop and specifically asked for a guy I have bought from. When he answers I cordially ask him how he's doing. His reponse was a very terse "busy". I asked hiim to call me back and never heard from him. LOL. I don't ever want to trouble someone by making them more busy in an effort to SELL me something. I am NEVER too busy for my customers. Especially those that are very loyal to me.

Some of these guys need to enjoy the ride while it lasts, but once things settle down and people aren't scrambling to buy things normal market conditions will determine who makes it and who goes out of business or struggles.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Mine is full of guns, only problem is they have to pay higher prices to get them. The Distributors are not helping anything.

My distributor pricing has not increased as much as the retail pricing of retailers.......they, (distributors), just can't get stuff in. Demand has made the prices increase, not necessarily the distributors.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Then I would have asked for the owners name and contact information and let the "salesman" know I would be calling him or her! (And I certainly would have called and discussed the situation with the owner!). I would bet the owner would have a pretty "hot" discussion with the salesman, and I probably would have received an apology and very good service when I returned to the shop.

It sounds good in a Business 101 textbook but, in reality, especially in the gun business, the owner likely would have ignored you. The guy behind the counter gets his example of what's acceptable behavior in the shop from the guy who owns it. The owner chose this guy and trained him as he wished (which usually means not at all.)

Your best bet is to look for another store. Let the invisible hand of competition take care of the problem in the long run.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i live in south bend, and when i am on grape i stop at midwest i usually get ignored, but they have the inventory (usually) so if you want to check something out in person and they arent busy its a great place to go, however if they are busy then you wont be able to talk with anyone or see anything, i was there a week ago for about 35 minutes wanting to look at a beretta nano, i never got to a sales person, so i left. i really like zx guns and rocket guns (both in goshen) and in both shops the guys are great. also in south bend is a tiny gun shop Indiana Arms & Ammo Inc (on indiana ave) its a very small shop, not much in guns to choose from (maybe 40 guns total), but when i need ammo, mags etc i always go to indiana arms first they are super friendly and really knowledgeable. there is also Indiana Defensive Firearms on lincolnway west in mishawaka its an even smaller shop (maybe 20 guns) but usually a good source for ammo (i got a 325 rnd box of 22lr for$30 on monday), the guys there are really friendly . there is a place on the south side of south bend getting ready to open called top shot armory, i talked to the owner for a while and he was pretty cool guy, looking forward to his shop opening up, hopefully soon!

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I have bought many a gun from the Elkhart Midwest, service has always been pretty good. When I go to the Grape store I've only bought one from them and the service is hit or miss. Bought from Granger, he can come off as a little rude sometimes but he's just that way, some days he just doesn't have much to say. ZX is always decent service with good prices, just not the greatest selection. Titus guns in Elkhart has by far been the most friendly and helpful store I've ever been in, just wish he had more to choose from, in fact I now go there first for what I'm looking for just to help his biz grow (also recently broke into the other night). Customer service is what it's all about, it doesn't matter if your customer doesn't know what they are talking about, your job is to sell, and firearms just like drugs are addictive, good service leads to future sales. I really want a FNP .45 but will never in this life give FNH another penny after the defective pistol and the new defective replacement, but most upsetting was the HORRID customer service.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    From the way you are getting bristly I am betting that you work at Pop Guns.......

No..I would consider calling someone a "redneck buffoon" getting "bristly".

I do not work at Pop's guns..I am assuming that it's somewhere up north. I own a small gun shop on the river and my wife would take umbrage with anyone saying I actually work here..I mostly stand around and pontificate from a soap box while giving INGO members a place to hang out and BS..

"It's good work if you can get it" as the Bodeans might say..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8eVAU82K94[/ame]

Last edited:

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Every time that I have been in Midwest Guns, both in Mishawaka and Elkhart, I have been treated with dignity and respect. They are very knowledgeable about firearms. I did notice that if there are more customers than sales clerks in the store I might have to wait for service. Understandable. No problem.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    I love these threads where everyone rips on the gun store of thier choice for whatever reason. Not to say that many stores and the people that work at them dont supply enough ammunition to make these threads pop up on a regular basis.

Gun stores have changed over the years and the current climate has changed some of that for the worse. High prices, yep and as long as new gun buyers and old buyers keep buying the crap at inflated prices, then they will keep asking for higher and higher prices.

When a noob says " oh $25 for a box of 9mm thats a good deal" and then buys all they can. It wont stop!:n00b:

I could go on, but its somewhat pointless really to complain on and on about it.

Top Bottom