What Have The Courts Ruled Are Permissible Infringements Of Speech?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In light of the “ministry of truth“ being established as part of homeland security (thank you Bush) it prompted me to ponder just what infringements the courts have allowed. We all know the yelling fire in a theater bit, but what else have they allowed to be controlled?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Isn’t that the same thing as yelling fire?
    You are free to yell fire in a crowded theater but you will face consequences.

Maybe it’s a difference without a distinction, I don’t know.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In light of the “ministry of truth“ being established as part of homeland security (thank you Bush) it prompted me to ponder just what infringements the courts have allowed. We all know the yelling fire in a theater bit, but what else have they allowed to be controlled?
    "Fighting words" it decided that some declarations were so offensive that they would cause a reasonable man to come to blows or something like that. IN has it in the code book.
    IC 35-42-2-3Provocation
    Sec. 3. A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally engages in conduct that is likely to provoke a reasonable person to commit battery commits provocation, a Class C infraction.

ETA And no I don't think that is a defense to a battery charge, but you'd have to ask a real lawyer to make sure.

And for the SCOTUS cases covering it. But they have also ruled that even if they qualify as fighting words, if the govt is punishing based on viewpoint discrimination they are still protected under the 1st.
    Isn’t that the same thing as yelling fire?
    You are free to yell fire in a crowded theater but you will face consequences.

Maybe it’s a difference without a distinction, I don’t know.
    Slander isn't illegal. But you can be sued civilly for it. For yelling fire in a crowded theater, you can be charged with a crime generally something along the lines of inciting a panic and imprisoned. Also IANAL but I don't think the govt "itself" can sue you for slander, but individuals in govt can if you slander them. But the burden of proof is much higher.

ETA Yelling fire in a theater is from the Schenk v US which concerned sending petitions out about the draft in WW1 telling people to resist the draft. Schenk was partially overturned in Brandenburg v Ohio which was about words said at a KKK rally.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a tough question as until now we have never had a "ministry of truth", a star chamber that is the final judgement of right and wrong info. A court case will have to get started to block what they are doing, but they will have to do something first other than just exist. It could be that this is a one shot deal to help keep congressional seats knowing that in the end it won't pass constitutional muster, but will be too late after the elections.

Top Bottom