• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Got a good training session in today with a couple fellow ingoers. I was blown away but how accurate I was with my cheap Wasr-10 AK!!!! Hitting squirrel size targets regularly with iron sights at 75 yars unsupported. Also got a lot of rounds down range with the 12g, 10/22, and .357 mag! Good day!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I went to the range twice and when I was there by myself I practiced off hand shooting as well as worked some dry run one hand reloads at home. Also, picked up a few ounces of silver for putting back. My big focus is building on the skills I learned at my last class so I am doing a lot of dry fire practice and manipulation drills at home.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Dang me again...I took my 5 year old to the woods for a few miles of hiking and time around the lake. I helped him use his compass and learn to better walk the trails while looking ahead for trouble instead of only what is directly in front of you. (Good life lesson I learned the hard way as well) Also, we put some silver away and talked about how a silver quarter is not really a quarter anymore. I know he's young for the money is not money talk but I wanted to help him learn now so he can help me mess with silver later and collect it. It has become a little game for us a few times that we have done it now.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    In the last week or so I've added 3 weeks to my family's long term food storage, added 1k rds 5.56, 2k 22lr and 100 rds ea 9mm and 45acp. I've also updated the family sundries kit (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, tp, pt, feminine hygiene products etc) to match our increased food supply. We've been eating from the garden almost daily and have increased our efforts to acquire more
    land to increase garden production and secure a second (some would say BOL) location to produce more food etc.

FAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    NWI
    We finished the last of the raised garden beds so we can have a garden next year. Bringing in dirt next week for the raised beds we built. Also planning a trip to Shipshawana over Labor Day weekend to stock up on rice, honey, wheat, popcorn and other staples.

Picked up 6 of the hand lighters today at Menards for $3, as they have a 2/$1 special going on. Good for starting the grill, fireworks, and good to have around for an emergency.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After building a new pantry area and totally re-arranging almost everything the wife has put me to the task of restocking and rotating stores. This is a lot like work.

We built more shelves in the out-buildings and re-arranged everything in them as well. All the emergency gear is readily accessible now. No digging. Genny's, fuel, everything. Added more fuel storage and rotated out the older fuel in the vehicles. Again, a lot like work but the end result is well worth the effort.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Took the power scythe out to the buckwheat patch.....it cuts ok but a narrow swath....got to cut one direction if you want to pick up grain with the heads on one end of the bundle. Had limited success threshing the seeds but thats because the bundles were a mess. did find out chickens love buckwheat, even in the husk.
    This unit came from Stihl and has a removable power unit. The head looks like a hedge trimmer but the teeth are farther apart. I hope to use it arond the pond as it lays the weeds down without scattering them into the water. It's a bit heavy but cuts with little effort, and does not hurt my back like a real scythe would.....also it has the option of a 12" pole saw attachment that makes cleaning the limbs from a felled tree easier on a bad back. You can stand up straight while cleaning the trunk instead of bending over with a heavy chainsaw. I've felled 8" trees with an 8" polesaw....not that that's the best choice.
    All in all it seems like a good investment, but only time and trial will tell...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Getting better with team drills with some propper instruction. Slowly the team is getting to a decent starting point.

Noticed the "where to buy ammo thread" is well over 400 pages now and gave myself a big pat on the back for learning my lesson after the '08 panic buying. Still have plenty of ammo laying around and I've been burning through it like I never heard the words ammo shortage.

Got my wife a pink G19 heading her way so hopefully she'll have more fun shooting and do it more often. We also did the Color me Rad 5K in Ft. Wayne.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Added 25 gallons of diesel to the stores and another 10 gallons of gas. Rotated out some old gas and added a large bottle of Sta-Bil to the shelf. Wife's getting into the new can shelves I built! She's liking the first in forst out idea . They're almost full now!

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Took the power scythe out to the buckwheat patch.....it cuts ok but a narrow swath....got to cut one direction if you want to pick up grain with the heads on one end of the bundle. Had limited success threshing the seeds but thats because the bundles were a mess. did find out chickens love buckwheat, even in the husk.
    This unit came from Stihl and has a removable power unit. The head looks like a hedge trimmer but the teeth are farther apart. I hope to use it arond the pond as it lays the weeds down without scattering them into the water. It's a bit heavy but cuts with little effort, and does not hurt my back like a real scythe would.....also it has the option of a 12" pole saw attachment that makes cleaning the limbs from a felled tree easier on a bad back. You can stand up straight while cleaning the trunk instead of bending over with a heavy chainsaw. I've felled 8" trees with an 8" polesaw....not that that's the best choice.
    All in all it seems like a good investment, but only time and trial will tell...

I am a Salesman for Stihl, and I worked in tree removal and lawncare for 5yrs before this and honestly, the Kombi unit (Thats what you have if it has multiple attachments) is AWESOME! The pole saw works great and we have sold TONS of them!! I think it will serve its purpose for years to come. Just remember to use Non-Ethanol Gasoline and/or Drain your fuel when it isn't going to be used for more than 30 days. We have had people who stored their trimmers one winter with fuel in and have had to replace carb. due to the Ethanol count being so bad. It destroys small engine carbs..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have cycled through most of the bottled water we had stored. Now we replenish with fresh.
    The new pantry space is near full and very well organized. We have rotated all the dated supply's and are using them.

I am putting together a parts pile for a new rain barrel system.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Did some practicing with the 10-22 & M&P22 on some drills I've learned.

Inventoried and reorganized some food preps tonight with my little girl. She kept asking what the "brown bags" (MRE's) were for and all I could say was that they were lunches.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Finished next yrs. firewood up today. Glad that's done! Bought some 35 gal. drums for added gas storage last Fri. Added 110 gal. of water to the water storage. Looking into back up battries for the basement. Feels like I've made a lot of headway this summer.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Compass.jpg Bought the following: a case of Chef-Boy-R-Dee Ravioli, a case of Ramen Noodles, a Glock 19 and 6 extra mags, 2 olive green polo shirts (non-camo camouflage) at K-Mart for $6 dollars each and 5 Coleman compasses marked down from $9.99 to $1.84 and 4 Emergency Blankets marked down from $3.99 to .74 cents!!! View attachment 21256

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Today's lunch was a can of dinty moore beef stew that expired in May of 2012 and it was Mmm Mmm good. It was time to cycle some of the stored canned foods so my lunches for the foreseeable future are already paid for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom