• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Recently got a "Car Survival Kit" together and put that in my vehicle since we have had all of this bad weather recently. Even hard rain can keep people from driving for long periods of time. I've pulled over several times because I just couldn't see. The things i've been hearing about this coming winter are also of concern.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Recently got a "Car Survival Kit" together and put that in my vehicle since we have had all of this bad weather recently. Even hard rain can keep people from driving for long periods of time. I've pulled over several times because I just couldn't see. The things i've been hearing about this coming winter are also of concern.

I need to address the trucks for winter.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I need to address the trucks for winter.

I just serviced mine.. All fluids...Tranny, Diff, engine oil and flushed radiator. Plus fuel pump and filter. Oh, and put a locking kit in the front diff to get rid of the vacuum 4wd actuators that chevy uses that always mess up. Now just pull a cable and push the button for the transfer case and your ready to go!

It is about that time to get the vehicles ready, Churchmouse..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just serviced mine.. All fluids...Tranny, Diff, engine oil and flushed radiator. Plus fuel pump and filter. Oh, and put a locking kit in the front diff to get rid of the vacuum 4wd actuators that chevy uses that always mess up. Now just pull a cable and push the button for the transfer case and your ready to go!

It is about that time to get the vehicles ready, Churchmouse..

We ran all the services as you have done. We did all the diffs and fluids in both rigs. The pinion seal on the van is wet. Leaves a spot here and there. I will fix that next spring on the seasonal service. Rotated the tires. Put new front brakes on the van and shocks. I still have the on the fly 4-WD system in the Z-71. If it ever gives me pause your idea sounds good.

I have to change out the Survival gear to cold weather in both rigs.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    We ran all the services as you have done. We did all the diffs and fluids in both rigs. The pinion seal on the van is wet. Leaves a spot here and there. I will fix that next spring on the seasonal service. Rotated the tires. Put new front brakes on the van and shocks. I still have the on the fly 4-WD system in the Z-71. If it ever gives me pause your idea sounds good.

I have to change out the Survival gear to cold weather in both rigs.

Sounds like your doing well.. Oh, I also swapped out to my winter tires/wheels and put new shocks on the truck too. Its a S10 and i love this truck. Good gas mileage and never been stuck in mud or snow.

The pull cable is easy and is well worth it if/when your vacuum system fails.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like your doing well.. Oh, I also swapped out to my winter tires/wheels and put new shocks on the truck too. Its a S10 and i love this truck. Good gas mileage and never been stuck in mud or snow.

The pull cable is easy and is well worth it if/when your vacuum system fails.

I did have a few 1st roll out early morning slow responses from that system but it was -20* and even I was slow. After initial selection it ran fine for the remainder of the day. 2004 GMC extended cab. Never been stuck with it but I use my noodle addressing where to go........:)

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I did have a few 1st roll out early morning slow responses from that system but it was -20* and even I was slow. After initial selection it ran fine for the remainder of the day. 2004 GMC extended cab. Never been stuck with it but I use my noodle addressing where to go........:)

Sometimes i take my chances ;)

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Oh yeah, we know all about that. I built this in the early 80's and had it so deep in the stuff it was amazing we got through. Never ever got it stuck. Miss this one a lot. We have always been preppers at some level.

I only got stuck once.. I had a 1992 Blazer with the 4.3 in it. I "Tried" to go through some mud in 2wd....didn't end well.. Haha

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I only got stuck once.. I had a 1992 Blazer with the 4.3 in it. I "Tried" to go through some mud in 2wd....didn't end well.. Haha

I found that body/frame with no running gear at a local junk yard. I also found all the running gear I needed there for it. LT-1 small block from a wrecked Camaro....granny low 4-speed and transfer case with power take off from one of the out of service wreckers...power steering and column from a K-5 Blazer. Radiator from the wrecker we scavenged for parts...Dana 44's from a wrecked pick up truck. The wheels were on another truck. I bought the 44" monster mudders new. Rebuilt the LT-1 and ran the exhaust in 2" out the back. Water proofed everything under the hood. Used a Ford A/C compressor to supply compressed air. Had a reserve tank and 50' of hose. Back was set up to camp. Armageddon rig to the max. I pushed enough snow with it to pay for the build.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I found that body/frame with no running gear at a local junk yard. I also found all the running gear I needed there for it. LT-1 small block from a wrecked Camaro....granny low 4-speed and transfer case with power take off from one of the out of service wreckers...power steering and column from a K-5 Blazer. Radiator from the wrecker we scavenged for parts...Dana 44's from a wrecked pick up truck. The wheels were on another truck. I bought the 44" monster mudders new. Rebuilt the LT-1 and ran the exhaust in 2" out the back. Water proofed everything under the hood. Used a Ford A/C compressor to supply compressed air. Had a reserve tank and 50' of hose. Back was set up to camp. Armageddon rig to the max. I pushed enough snow with it to pay for the build.

Sounds like a nice setup.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Put the battery charger back on the Jeep. ('79 CJ7 Golden Eagle, 360 4bbl, T18 4spd with a Dana 300 twin stick shifter, fiberglass body and fenders, hard top and doors). Checked the fluids. Need to get new tires and exhaust on the Ram 1500.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom