Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember you from when we used to meet at Pet Paws in Plainfield and know that's not the type of person you are.

I had a Sawyer In-Line filter a.k.a. the mini filter in my pack inside a Nalgene bottle with a Steri Pen and extra batteries if I really needed it. I keep a bandana in there also to help filter out larger items in the water so the Sawyer filter won't clog as fast. Everyone in the house has a Sawyer filter in their bag but I still need to invest in a few more Steri Pens.

:yesway:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I wish I lived closer to Turkey Run State Park!!!!!! Awesome photos 10-32!!! You'll get stronger with more hikes (trust me coming from a former infantryman...) the water consumption will change with the outside temperature and humidity....if your sweating your brains out, you will hydrate more!!!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Have you guys with the Nalgene bottles ever thought about swapping them out with a stainless container? Everything is a trade off but a few extra ounces for the ability to boil water. Just throwing it out there. Kleenex Canteen makes some very affordable wide mouth stainless containers. Self Reliance outfitters (pathfinder school) has a nice variety of stainless containers and cook wear.

Not trying to push anything on anyone else, just a suggestion if you guys want to consider. Personally I've got a 32oz stainless pathfinder kit in my pack. Ive been very happy with it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Have you guys with the Nalgene bottles ever thought about swapping them out with a stainless container? Everything is a trade off but a few extra ounces for the ability to boil water. Just throwing it out there. Kleenex Canteen makes some very affordable wide mouth stainless containers. Self Reliance outfitters (pathfinder school) has a nice variety of stainless containers and cook wear.

Not trying to push anything on anyone else, just a suggestion if you guys want to consider. Personally I've got a 32oz stainless pathfinder kit in my pack. Ive been very happy with it.

I have thought about it.... but never went that way. Even though you can boil water in the stainless steel container, I still needed something to eat out of (hard to use a spoon or fork in a water bottle), so I would still need a dish to eat off of... I am assuming boiling water is for cooking, and not just making water safe (thats what my filter is for).

So I just have a pot that doubles as cooking container and eating dish, that way don't have to carry multiple things.... but that's just what I have done backpacking and everyone sets up there own differently

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have thought about it.... but never went that way. Even though you can boil water in the stainless steel container, I still needed something to eat out of (hard to use a spoon or fork in a water bottle), so I would still need a dish to eat off of... I am assuming boiling water is for cooking, and not just making water safe (thats what my filter is for).

So I just have a pot that doubles as cooking container and eating dish, that way don't have to carry multiple things.... but that's just what I have done backpacking and everyone sets up there own differently

Years ago when we still did some roughing it style pack and camps I picked up a kit that had everything you needed to cook/eat/drink and it fit inside of itself. Took up a small amount of space in the pack but made up for it through convenience. I still have it.
    Not doing any packing these days.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Years ago when we still did some roughing it style pack and camps I picked up a kit that had everything you needed to cook/eat/drink and it fit inside of itself. Took up a small amount of space in the pack but made up for it through convenience. I still have it.
    Not doing any packing these days.

Yeah, Im not doing much backpacking anymore, but I had a similar setup.... mine is similar to this (GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist Ultralight Cookset - REI.com) but cant seem to find the actual one I used.... was perfect for what I was using it for when I was going on my climbing trips.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, Im not doing much backpacking anymore, but I had a similar setup.... mine is similar to this (GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist Ultralight Cookset - REI.com) but cant seem to find the actual one I used.... was perfect for what I was using it for when I was going on my climbing trips.

That is a nice set up. Mine is all light stainless. 9" dia. boling/cooking pot that held 2 plates, small skillet, utensils, cups. I used it a lot. Even when not packing. We used to have adventures in my 4 wheel drive truck that involved 2 days out in the "Wild" (my spouses words) and it was a great supplement to the gear.
    We are both way past that now.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I finally got my truck/car get home bag finished. It's centered around my take-down Ruger 10/22. The bag has Dave Canterbury's 5 C's of survivability. Mora knife as my backup knife, 100' paracord in 25' hanks, multiple ways to make fire including bic lighter, ferro rod, and waterproof matches, a 5 by 7 tarp with SOL blanket, and a stainless steel canteen and cup. In addition, for my 10/22 I have a 10 round and 25 round Ruger magazine and a box of 225 rounds. I also have a 1200 and 3600 calorie mainstay bars for some food intake. 14 pounds without water.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg

I've seriously considered it and even spent time pricing them from several different places. In the end it came down to the stainless steel cup the Nalgene fits into (Pictured back in post#4200). The fact that the cup would be easier to clean out than the bottle should I cook something in it was pretty much the deciding factor.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've seriously considered it and even spent time pricing them from several different places. In the end it came down to the stainless steel cup the Nalgene fits into (Pictured back in post#4200). The fact that the cup would be easier to clean out than the bottle should I cook something in it was pretty much the deciding factor.

Yeah, that's a good point on the stainless cup. I didn't really notice it before in your picture. For whatever it's worth I've got one of these kits in both cars GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters?. After I took Dave's class I was really impressed with it all and figured I'd never go without one again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Along these lines, are most stainless water bottles designed so that putting them in a fire or hot coals to boil water without damaging the lid or seal? It would suck to put your bottle in some coals to boil the water, but then find the seal or cap melted or otherwise damaged

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Along these lines, are most stainless water bottles designed so that putting them in a fire or hot coals to boil water without damaging the lid or seal? It would suck to put your bottle in some coals to boil the water, but then find the seal or cap melted or otherwise damaged

I'd never considered boiling water with the lid on the bottle.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

When I do use Nalgene bottles away from the house, they have stainless mugs they nest in. You can boil water without committing your entire bottle to the fire/being too hot to carry on you. You get an insulated bottle carrier, jam the mug down in the bottom of it, then put the bottle in. We use these most often for day trips in the vehicle. Nice for camp use too.

I cant recall the last time I actually carried a Nalgene bottle on me, as I use Platypus bottles for that. I do keep some mil surp aluminum bottles in truck gear and base camp gear. They are from Swiss volcano kits. I bought like 10 of them years ago for $5 each just because I wanted the cups. The bottles and stoves were just gravy but nice. Wiggy's has a nice stainless bottle you can actually put in fire. My Bro ha something too but I forget what brand.

Of the new gear out there, I will probably buy a Klean Kanteen next but get the all metal cap. I do not know anyone who has beaten the crap out of one yet so no clue if it can take being in the fire.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'd never considered boiling water with the lid on the bottle.
    What about shooting full propane tanks at close range?
    Smoking while filling your lawn mower gas tank?
    Pissing on a Porcupine?

While I agree with you, I am not sure you want stifle the natural curiosity of others?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

The quick answer is NO. For your safety and that of those around you, make sure you're using the right kind. Don't have the lid on your container while boiling. If you do you're containing pressure which equals to a boiling water bomb and you don't want that. It's an easy mistake to make and I saw people in class do it several times. I did it myself for a few seconds once then popped it off real quick.

Regarding what "types" of stainless containers are good to go, you want single layer of steel. You don't want the "insulated" types that are a can within a can like a tervis cup. Basically the insulated stainless containers with water in it in a fire even with the lid off is a little bomb waiting to happen. Very unsafe and you don't want to do it.

This is a good setup especially if you get the fish mouth spreader: GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters?

Here's a good safe stainless container: Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel - 40 fl. oz.

Here's a stainless container that would pop and burst from pressure in a fire: http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen...1433791582&sr=8-2&keywords=kleen+canteen+wide

I've never had a container explode on me before, but the instructors I learned from have and from what I've heard it's something I think we all want to avoid.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Of the new gear out there, I will probably buy a Klean Kanteen next but get the all metal cap. I do not know anyone who has beaten the crap out of one yet so no clue if it can take being in the fire.

I'm pretty sure the pathfinder 32oz kits are made by kleen canteen. Just make sure you get the wide mouth / uninsulated version and you should be good. I've got a 32oz kit in both vehicles. When we travel I also put one of their big 64oz stainless containers in the vehicle as well. Last winter I had the 64oz too full in my truck and when it froze it bulged out the bottom. I beat the bulged out back into place with a rubber mallet. It's a little mangled looking now, but working just fine. I've also boiled water in it as well and it's held up just fine.

The plastic nalgene bottles have their place and they're good gear, but for me I'm going to be sticking with the stainless kleen canteen containers.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just realized your Kleenex canteen was really Klean Kanteen. You know, I thought it was odd Kleenex was making canteens but didn't connect the dots on autocorrect. A local outfitter here carries the Klean stuff and right out our backdoor is rugged terrain so I figured it was good if they had it on the shelves. My only issue is with -30 and colder here, if you forget to empty it or not overfill, pop. Just like yours. Platypus will hold up better when frozen and I have used them for 20 years now. But I want an empty bottle in my truck gear. Apparently my unused Swiss volcano kits are solid gold now, I should sell some and buy new gear with the profits!

A good reuse for cracked Nalgene bottles is to seal up the cracks and refill with dried herbs lik pepper, oregano etc

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Bought four more large gas cans for generator, filled and then used Stabil gas treatment in them.
    Gathered up two more truck loads of wood. Picked up four 100 hour candles.
    Picked up some more gallon jugs of water and few more MREs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom