Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ordered a new chainsaw!

Had a few trees come down this winter and the venerable Craftsman 18" was just not up to the task. So, Husqvarna 24" 60cc on the way!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post in here:

1. Ordered a big boy generator for the house. Gas powered, plenty of power to run the comforts of life.

2. Did a solo hike, at night, in a wilderness area. Drove a few hours to get to this place I'd never been. Left parking lot at 9:30 pm in darkness to start the couple mile hike. Found the spot I was looking for, setup camp for the night, maintained a decent little camp fire. Next morning tried fishing, but fly rod was wrong choice. Ate my breakfast, and headed home.

3. I make a list before any trip of every single item going with me in my backpack. When I got home from this little trip I weighed everything I took that I either didn't use at all or just used for a minute so I wouldn't feel so dumb for carrying it in and could at least say I used it. Ended up being 17 pounds of BS I didn't need to carry in. This was the second time I've tracked what I've used and haven't used on an outing, and I'm seeing some consistency on what I think I'll need vs what I'll actually need and use.

4. Attended a martial arts class that was completely unfamiliar to me. Learned new areas of strength and weakness, but very glad I got out of my comfort zone.

5. Signed up for a diet program. I have a couple members of the family who've done this and lost about 20-30 pounds in the first 6 weeks. Realistically, I could potentially loose 40 pounds if I really hit this hard. I've always made micro changes to eating habits and never just made a focused effort to actually loose weight. In 6 weeks from now I will weigh less, be healthy, be faster. The amount of weight I'm going to loose would make all the hiking and everything else that much easier.

6. Continuing with crossfit. I feel my body getting stronger, muscles getting bigger, fitness getting better.

7. Switching gears on my precision rifle setup. Moving from heavy barreled 30-06 bolt to 308 bolt & semi. Just don't have the time anymore to crank out the 30-06 match handloads like I used to. Now with the 308, the ammo is expensive, but at least I can stock up with one swipe on the internet.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    After the above post I feel like I need to kick it in gear. Great job. Today I planted 5 more fruit trees among other non-prepping tasks. Forgot, did my run this morning.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Cut up a cord of wood yesterday with the new chainsaw! Need to start splitting some today.

Planted 8 Gooseberry, two Aronia bushes, and three Paw Paw trees.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Ordered some Aguilla Minishotgun shells. Pricey but 2-1 on weight and still able to do what I need is a trade off I will make on some stuff. Also got a baofeng radio Ham radio a couple months back but haven't done anything with it. Need to get it out this weekend and start reading up and then study for test.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post,

1.) Ran drills with people I can trust my life with. Guns got muddy, people got even more muddy. More than once we had to unplug mud from flash hiders. Lots of medical, communications, and teamwork rolled into the drills.

2.) Putting the finishing touches on the portable generator setup.

3.) Upgraded my stored fuel containers. Last time I went to take all my big red generic 5 gallon gas containers to the gas station one of the nozzles had broken. I bought some of the Jerry Cans from Jerry Can | Nato Jerry Can | Metal Jerry Can | 5 Gallon Metal Jerry can | 20L Jerry Can | 10L Jerry can | 5L Jerry Can | Jerry Can Spout | Jerry Can Nozzle | Jerry Can Mount | Jerry Can Holder and I'm happy with them. It's expensive, but these cans will be used to store stabilized fuel in tough containers I can count on for both the generator, vehicles, & mower.

4.) The diet is going well. I've been at it almost a week and I'm almost down 10 pounds. I've stayed away from the gym for these 4 days because I wanted to focus on the diet, but tomorrow morning I'll be back in there. I made a commitment to my tribe, I will be stronger, faster, lighter, more useful and this diet is part of that.

5.) Another part of this diet is a way test to myself. I'm finding out how my energy levels are effected by having drastically less food in my life. I'm learning how little food I really need to be able to function. Through this diet I'm getting mentally tougher and stronger.

6.) Purchased a new scope that has a different type of reticle that I've been wanting to try out and play with.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Split up and re-planted some asparagus plants that I'd grown from seed and I planted some root crowns to finish out a 4 X 20 foot raised bed. That should keep us in asparagus for many years to come.

This year, I've added that 4 X 20 foot raised bed, with two more to go this coming weekend to bring our total to 9 raised beds in all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Split up and re-planted some asparagus plants that I'd grown from seed and I planted some root crowns to finish out a 4 X 20 foot raised bed. That should keep us in asparagus for many years to come.

This year, I've added that 4 X 20 foot raised bed, with two more to go this coming weekend to bring our total to 9 raised beds in all.

I have our 14X20 raised bed ready to go but life has kept us from getting it planted. Soon.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Put out three pear trees, I think I'll be really old before there's a significant crop though.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Put up 140 pounds of rice, and 20 pounds of pinto beans in 4-pound mylar bags with Oxygen absorbers.

Mylar bags went into heavy-duty totes and into the prepper pantry with the other stuff.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post:

1.) Total weight lost on this diet is over 20 pounds now. I see the difference, I feel the difference and people around me have commented on the difference. I'm not stopping and I'm hoping to knock another 15 - 20 pounds off.

2.) Tested portable generator, and it's a good thing I did. Apparently the 8,000 running watt Generac's have a little quirk to them about adjusting the spring on the throttle arm. I'm glad I had an electrician with me as I went through this and tested it out. It seems crazy to me that people will buy a generator and not use it or test it until the power is out in the middle of the night and kids are crying. This little tweak I have to make shouldn't be any big deal, but it took some time to find it and correct it. Time I wouldn't have had in an emergency. Otherwise, that generator powered my entire house without any real strain on the machine.

3.) The electrician noticed my jerry cans and we had a little talk about how great they are. I sent him a link, but apparently the EPA is coming down hard on the Jerry Can people and forcing tem to sell an EPA approved nozzle with the cans now. Not a big deal other than at Lexingtoncontainercompany.com their prices went from $50 shipped to $80 per can so that sucks.

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Applied Ballistics in Lafayette is running an ammo sale. If you're looking to stock up...

Prices for a 250-ct box of Defender Ammo while supplies last.

100gr .380 - $72.50, SALE $65
    115gr 9mm - $62.50, SALE $50
    180gr .40 S&W - $77.50, SALE $60
    230gr .45 ACP - $95.00, SALE $75

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom