• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I spent a crap ton of money to get my wife and the kids all outfitted with the right clothing for SHTF. I visited the Columbia outlet in Michigan City. They have some really great deals, even for Columbia. I got a nice Fishing rain jacket for $30, normally $120.

I've decided I need both the military style bug out gear as well as the civilian style. If we get stuck in town and we look like an infantry squad walking around that might spell trouble.

Funny thing, I've been going to TJ Maxx and the like for years. I bought a "Columbia type" jacket last year for $35. I just bought the same version but Columbia Titanium for $38. I'd rather have the real thing than an impostor for the same money.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    We got the garden well on its way, bought extra food this week, picked up two new very nice get home bags (Spec-Ops T.H.E.) repacked and put in trucks. Bought a little portable FM,AM,SW radio.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Rotated some vacuum packed foods. The stuff I had questions about was given to the goats. They liked it. They are still alive after 5 hours.

Now I have half a shelf to move things around.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    This week I took the fire kit I put together and tried making fire a few different ways since I've never really used anything other than a lighter or match with an accelerant.

Magnifying lens - Success
    Steel Wool - Success
    Magnesium Bar - Success

Ferro Rod aka Metal Match - Not a chance in hell.
    I made the tinder piles the exact same way each time so I don't know why it wouldn't take. Going to give it another shot tomorrow and see what happens or doesn't happen.

Tossed out the striker that came with the Ferro Rod and used my Leatherman on the Ferro Rod today. My Leatherman produced a much bigger shower of sparks and after about 5 or 6 strikes my tinder pile caught. :rockwoot:

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Tossed out the striker that came with the Ferro Rod and used my Leatherman on the Ferro Rod today. My Leatherman produced a much bigger shower of sparks and after about 5 or 6 strikes my tinder pile caught. :rockwoot:
    I have putting together my fire kit and saveing the lint from the dryer, and also put some cotten balls and vaseline in the kit. they all work great.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Hosted an Appleseed shoot. Made some good contacts with people who can shoot
    and kept the wife on the firing line two days straight.
    This is our second time hosting and I have nothing but kudos for Appleseed...
    I shot last time and was impressed with how they trained away 45 years of bad habits.
    This time I played host and was able to watch from a different perspective...still very
    impressed.
    I guess the one thing that hit me the hardest was the idea that this was a volunteer operation... these people work hard most weekends of the year for an ideal. The ideal
    that americans should know how to shoot a rifle and hit a target at 400yrds or more.
    Can you?
    I'm working on it. Appleseed is helping me, and by merely loaning them my land for two days I get to help other folks. Besides...this way I don't have to travel....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got to get to one of these appleseed shoots. It's all with 22lr's isn't it?

As far as prepping goes, this last weekend I discussed prepping with a fellow veteran and Ron Paul supporter who "gets it", but hasn't prepped for it. During this late night discussion around the camp fire I also learned about some of the medicinal values of honey, Jack Daniels Honey wiskey to be exact and I was fealing pretty freaking medicated!

My next step is going to be to stock up on the Jack Daniels honey wiskey. I may be putting off buying the berkey water filter for this. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got to get to one of these appleseed shoots. It's all with 22lr's isn't it?

As far as prepping goes, this last weekend I discussed prepping with a fellow veteran and Ron Paul supporter who "gets it", but hasn't prepped for it. During this late night discussion around the camp fire I also learned about some of the medicinal values of honey, Jack Daniels Honey wiskey to be exact and I was fealing pretty freaking medicated!

My next step is going to be to stock up on the Jack Daniels honey wiskey. I may be putting off buying the berkey water filter for this. :)

I know of the benefits honey can provide and we have some in our stores. Now the Honey jack, well, I may have to do some research on this first hand. Will get back to you on the results, well, maybe...................:dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . During this late night discussion around the camp fire I also learned about some of the medicinal values of honey, Jack Daniels Honey wiskey to be exact . . .
    In Scotland and the borderlands of northern England I used to buy a mixture that contained some whiskey, honey and something they called sloe berries. Darn tootin' you feel medicated after a couple hits of that.

I may have to go find some of this Honey Jack stuff....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    :cheers:

Not trying to hijack and turn this into a drinking thread, but to explain where I'm coming from on the Honey whiskey I have to explain that when I go into a liquor store I'm kinda like the guy on a moped showing up to a harley rally trying to be cool. I'm not a drinker by any stretch and by no means am I a professor when it comes to how to make drinks or what's in every drink I've ever heard of kind of guy.

Now with my disclaimer out of the way, I like a nice jack and coke. When I drink it's what I go to because it's good and uncomplicated. When I saw the Honey JD on the shelf I figured I'd give it a try because that's about as far as I go trying something new in the world of drinking. I'm really glad that I actually tried something new though. It was all the good flavor of JD but with a little more mild after taste and it really did have a pleasant honey flavor to it. All my regular JD bottles will be getting moved to prepping stockpile and fresh honey JD bottles will be moved to my working inventory.

The best part is that with the honey flavor it doesn't get turned into some little sissy drink where you have to forfiet your man card. Regular JD is 40% alcohol and this stuff is still something 35%. Add some ice and a coke and you've got just the right combination of stupid to have a few laughs. :cheers:

Now, back to prepping or whatever this thread was originally about.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Not all appleseeds are rimfire...mine is because of too close neighbors...
    Check the schedule at project Appleseed web site..I'd do the first one with. 22
    just for cost sake. You will learn all the basics for about $20 in ammo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :cheers:

Not trying to hijack and turn this into a drinking thread, but to explain where I'm coming from on the Honey whiskey I have to explain that when I go into a liquor store I'm kinda like the guy on a moped showing up to a harley rally trying to be cool. I'm not a drinker by any stretch and by no means am I a professor when it comes to how to make drinks or what's in every drink I've ever heard of kind of guy.

Now with my disclaimer out of the way, I like a nice jack and coke. When I drink it's what I go to because it's good and uncomplicated. When I saw the Honey JD on the shelf I figured I'd give it a try because that's about as far as I go trying something new in the world of drinking. I'm really glad that I actually tried something new though. It was all the good flavor of JD but with a little more mild after taste and it really did have a pleasant honey flavor to it. All my regular JD bottles will be getting moved to prepping stockpile and fresh honey JD bottles will be moved to my working inventory.

The best part is that with the honey flavor it doesn't get turned into some little sissy drink where you have to forfiet your man card. Regular JD is 40% alcohol and this stuff is still something 35%. Add some ice and a coke and you've got just the right combination of stupid to have a few laughs. :cheers:

Now, back to prepping or whatever this thread was originally about.

Just a note on the man card thing.....Jack and coke is a ready made hang over. The extra sweeteners and color dyes.... It takes a bit to get used to but get a bottle of distilled water or just bottled water and do you jack with water on the racks. The Honey Jack should be a most pleasant tasting mix if drank this way.

Now, back to prepping...............:D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just a note on the man card thing.....Jack and coke is a ready made hang over. The extra sweeteners and color dyes.... It takes a bit to get used to but get a bottle of distilled water or just bottled water and do you jack with water on the racks. The Honey Jack should be a most pleasant tasting mix if drank this way.

Now, back to prepping...............:D
    When I was a drinker, in the latter part, I took to single malt scotch and high end whiskeys like woodford Reserve. I found them best enjoyed on the rocks rather than mixed. It allows one to truly taste the difference and enjoy the craft/art/science aspects. But if all you're going for is drunk, then buy the less expensive stuff and mix away!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was a drinker, in the latter part, I took to single malt scotch and high end whiskeys like woodford Reserve. I found them best enjoyed on the rocks rather than mixed. It allows one to truly taste the difference and enjoy the craft/art/science aspects. But if all you're going for is drunk, then buy the less expensive stuff and mix away!

I really only drink the occasional beer these days. Those days we speak of are long gone. Just passing on something I was taught about mixing. No pop just water if you wanted to cut it down a bit.

Edit...as to prepping, we got the rest of the corn in the ground in the second garden plot. A bit late but I am new to this and doing a lot for my first effort.

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    When I was with my ex-husband, I drank Crown & Coke. I never got a hangover. (Which ticked him off royaly! :D) He drank mostly beer and suffered for it the next day.:D:D

Ok - preps - received my Emergency Essentials order (100 hour candle, Samurai Survival Tool, and a Tube Tent.) Also, picked up a really nice rain jacket at the local church rummage, a quilt and a "computer" bag.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To mix the sacred Crown Royal with any pop is to ruin the flavor. JMHO of course as that was my favorite, Crown and water on the rocks....................

Sorry, had to.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    True, but I could drink more and longer. :rockwoot:(Yes, I would switch to "rocks" when feeling "froggy" - and at home where I didn't have to worry about a DUI. :rolleyes:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night I bought one of these:

Jack-Daniels-Tennessee-Honey.jpg

This morning I prepped by voting for Ron Paul.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom