• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Refreshed my stored water supply. Feeling much happier about that.

Bought some cci quiet & aquila 20gr quiet 22lr ammo to try out this weekend in the new savage fvsr.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Refreshed my stored water supply. Feeling much happier about that.

Bought some cci quiet & aquila 20gr quiet 22lr ammo to try out this weekend in the new savage fvsr.

Post up how those rounds work for you. The orange box stuff I have is OK but it does not always cycle in the semi-auto's

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I got tired of farting around trying to get an accurate, dependable .22 rifle and finally got my old Remington 541T out to shoot. I don't need another .22 rifle besides this. I can't imagine why I was even looking for another .22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Post up how those rounds work for you. The orange box stuff I have is OK but it does not always cycle in the semi-auto's

Tonight I fired three types of ammo; federal bulk, cci quiet and the aquila 20gr. The federal was the loudest by far but not bad just a typical 22lr. The cci quiet was about half the noise of the federal, and the aquila wasnt much louder then a hammer hitting the brass. In less than 50 yards then was a difference between the sound of the rifle firing and the round hitting the dirt. The pause between the two noises showed just how slow the round is moving. The aquila was super quiet but at some point it's not much different than a pellet gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tonight I fired three types of ammo; federal bulk, cci quiet and the aquila 20gr. The federal was the loudest by far but not bad just a typical 22lr. The cci quiet was about half the noise of the federal, and the aquila wasnt much louder then a hammer hitting the brass. In less than 50 yards then was a difference between the sound of the rifle firing and the round hitting the dirt. The pause between the two noises showed just how slow the round is moving. The aquila was super quiet but at some point it's not much different than a pellet gun.

We used a plywood backstop and you are correct. The ultra quite stuff does not have much steam. What was your pick of that litter.

DR II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    does anyone have a list of things that we need to start? I am interested in having something or some kind of plan for emergency

Thanks

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    does anyone have a list of things that we need to start? I am interested in having something or some kind of plan for emergency

Thanks
    Really depends upon what you are prepping for. I plan to stay in my home, therefore my list of preps does not include camping gear. You need to think about how you will handle different situations and prep accordingly.

OH, I'd also say that there are different theories of preppers. I'm of the "Store what you eat, eat what you store" wing of preppers. That means I don't believe in buying cases of military MREs or cases of freeze dried foods. I buy extra cans of the same foods that we normally eat, rotate them through our pantry and generally use them as an inflation hedge. Yes, there are some foods that are stored that are not eaten as part of our daily diet, but most of what is stored in just lots of extra cans of the same stuff that comes off the supermarket shelves.

Last edited:

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Busy weekend. Went price shopping for some larger items and still on the lookout for a high end grain mill.

Finished "Lucifers Hammer" book as well. Great book to use as a sounding board for your preps.

Went to the range with the entire Family. We working on form and stance with a pistol. The boys like to stand up as they unload, the wife won't stay stable. Eldest son got the no tolerance timeout and sat out the last half of training. Wife fired the 12ga for the first time. She's a pro with the Glock and AR, just rounding her out. She was really smacking the clays with the Glock 17. I went thru the EDC gun with some serious intent. A magazine had failed last time I used it, had a small rock in it and jammed up the follower so I had to get my head around it again as my go to. Worked flawlessly, guess the LCP can go back in the safe.

After the range we went bushwacking in the woods and I taught them how to navigate using the terrain as a guide. Everyone was able to pick out where we were in a small TOPO I had with me. I was impressed. Did about a 2k walk on a rugged ridge, no trail. I was sickened by the amount of trash though. I've been going to this place since I was 10 and it's never looked this bad. Wore my new Danner boots and they are finally wearing in.

Good weekend.

Kraor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Knox County
    I haven't tried my hand at it yet, but have done quite a bit of research on the topic of brain tanning. Here are a couple good links you may find useful. Let me know how it goes once you give it a try;)
    http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf
    Brain Tanning Furs by George Michaud
    Tanning Leather
    I have saved and printed the instructions from these links as well as a few others for reference purposes, but really should give it a go before I actually need the skill. My favorite quote from one of the links is "Oddly enough each animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide.".

Thanks, I definitely will have a look and let you know..

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    :( had to replace the floor in the chicken coop today, was cleaning the coop this morning and my fat butt fell through the floor. Now we are sitting in the garage shooting a pellet gun at zombie targets waiting for the walking dead to come on!

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Only a short term prep but one that SHOULD be done...

Pulled up a Indy where I'll be working Tuesday night when the election results are given. Have a couple of ways planned out to get out of the area on foot and by vehicle should any problems arise from the election result.

Cleaned, lubed, and put "Fresh" ammo in the 3 firearms I'll have in my possession that night.

Not exactly working in the best part of Indy

39.814361,-86.250702

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Only a short term prep but one that SHOULD be done...

Pulled up a Indy where I'll be working Tuesday night when the election results are given. Have a couple of ways planned out to get out of the area on foot and by vehicle should any problems arise from the election result.

Cleaned, lubed, and put "Fresh" ammo in the 3 firearms I'll have in my possession that night.

Not exactly working in the best part of Indy

39.814361,-86.250702

My goodness, do you require an exfil team every time you leave?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom