• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Wife found some dryed soup offerings from bear creek. These are pretty tasty and easy to make. Added a butt load to the shelves.

Careful with the shelf-life of those. We had some of those turn rancid on us at around 2 years. I contacted Bear Creek about their shelf life and they responded with a best-by life of 1 year and a vague statement about "some varieties" having a potential 10 year shelf life. FWIW it was only the "cream" type soups so there may be something in those varieties that does go rancid by the best-by date. The minestrone style soups didn't seem to have that problem.

We thought about O2 packing some of those soups but we used our supplies up on other foods and never tried it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Careful with the shelf-life of those. We had some of those turn rancid on us at around 2 years. I contacted Bear Creek about their shelf life and they responded with a best-by life of 1 year and a vague statement about "some varieties" having a potential 10 year shelf life. FWIW it was only the "cream" type soups so there may be something in those varieties that does go rancid by the best-by date. The minestrone style soups didn't seem to have that problem.

We thought about O2 packing some of those soups but we used our supplies up on other foods and never tried it.

We will try and rotate out by use with that time frame in mind. We have had the potato soup and it is really OK with crackers and a bit of spice.
    Thanks

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This weekend I finally got around to filling up a .30 cal ammo can with loose 9mm rounds rather than keeping them in the boxes. I got 900 rds in it easily. Cleared up a bunch of shelf space in the closet.

I also took photos of all my guns and loaded them onto a thumb drive for insurance purposes. I've been needing to do it for a while, but a recent thread about a break in finally motivated me to get off my duff.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lot of organizing this weekend as I had recently moved. Got me in the mood to empty out my GHB in the car. It was long overdo as I had actually used some items for minor emergencies or non emergencies. Tweaked it a bit, replaced some stuff and just organized it better. Also realize I want to add some items I don't have.

Set up my workbench to my liking. Gathered some firewood. Been a productive weekend actually.

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh
    Not sure this counts here, but started getting the kid's-bus-house-turned-chicken-coop around. First year for chickens here. Got 15 on order and have niece lined up to brood them for me until June.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not sure this counts here, but started getting the kid's-bus-house-turned-chicken-coop around. First year for chickens here. Got 15 on order and have niece lined up to brood them for me until June.

That's a prime example of wise prepping!

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    My plan is to try to kill yeast in finished homemade wine this weekend. The plan calls for heating the mix between 150 and 160 F for ten minutes.

Wish me luck!

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Time to rotate stock. Been pulling things out all this week and stocking them in the pantry. Wife is on board fully and is going to start stocking the supplies she wants. She prefers Organics. I told her that was fine as long as the quantities are the same.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Time to rotate stock. Been pulling things out all this week and stocking them in the pantry. Wife is on board fully and is going to start stocking the supplies she wants. She prefers Organics. I told her that was fine as long as the quantities are the same.

As long as you're storing what you already eat, it's a win-win.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    With the family gone, I'm tearing apart my ruck and swapping out seasonal gear. dropping some ancillary gear as well, that thing needs trimmed down to a proper weight. Some things were packed wrong and a few were used up, so it's time. I'm ready to get back out and do some rucking. I need to get back at it after injuring my hip a month ago at a camping trip.

Loaded some defense ammo and stocked some mags. Trying out the Pmag 40 rounders, I hope they do as well as reports say. We shall see.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Purchased 90 rounds of 9mm ammo. 40 of which are pmc starfire (regretting this after watching review). Bought a bushmaster tactical field cleaning system on clearance for $40. I like the system but the molle pouch has a bushmaster embroidered logo on it. As a greyman I spent some time coloring it in with a black sharpie, still I don't like the fact that its there.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Researched & learned how to: Build an aquaponics system, wicking bed (gardening), and solar power system to eventually have an off-grid food production system. Recently got a full time job to fund such projects (yay!). Looking at revamping the way I garden based on said research. Made some home-made dehydrated meals that are actually good for me, rather whatever is in the mountain house type meals. And thought about quit drinkin coffee... Guess I'll save that for later :D

*Edit* Oh! Got a lockpick kit! ya! I now wanna change my locks based on cursory practice....

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Bought some 12ga 000 buck shells, some Waterfowl shells and 3 cases of water... Still considering if i wanna stick with 40 S&W and 12ga or if i wanna ad an AR or AK to the mix??

My take is 12ga would be the easiest to acquire during a SHTF scenario..

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Started on the cover crops. Prepped the plots and ordered seeds. Got dirt delivered for earthwork projects prior to planting new fruit trees. Continued homework on fruit trees that we like and like our area. Wow! Large projects ahead. Oh, found lumber and other material to build potato boxes.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Got a new barrel for my 12ga ordered (should be here Tuesday) and a new scope each for my slug barrel and my husband's crossbow

Decided on ordering a 38 sp revolver to expand our options

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We just got back from Gatlinburg, and while there, I got the chance to do a few miles on trails with my GHB. I bought a few Cactus Jack packs from ArmyNavy sales several months back, and hadn't really had much of a chance to use them under rough conditions. We were getting ready to do a 4 mile round trip hike on a pretty gentle trail, so I threw the pack on my back and took off. This is the bag I keep my winter get home stuff in, and I have done a few miles here at home with it, but that just doesn't come close to even a mild trail in the Smokies. All in all, after a minor adjustment of the shoulder straps, the pack did well, and wasn't uncomfortable to haul the 20 or so pounds I had in it, and I actually got to use my rain poncho from the pack. I did learn that I need to throw some type of ballcap in there though, as the hood on my poncho was constantly falling forward over my face, and a hat with a bill would have eliminated that issue. I Mcgyvered it with a strip of 200 mph tape, which I also had in the pack.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom