Not open for further replies.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    51mdLeb6ovL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-0466...TF8&qid=1452963086&sr=8-13&keywords=Coghlan's
    No. For a lot of reasons.

That answer makes me the A-hole who shoots down solutions without offering alternatives! In advance the answer is also No to shiny pieces of metal passed off as survival mirrors. Glass is best, star flash mirrors if you think you might break glass. In 40 years I have never broken a glass mirror but all my smaller star flash mirrors are good too.

Whistles should be coast guard approved but a good one that is not is fine as long as you know what too look for. Pealess is the issue. In cold weather your saliva or water will freeze up a whistle.

The BEST multitool whistle ever is the tool logic survival knife. Knife, flint, whistle all in one and I have even field dressed a deer with one. Not ideal but I did it so I would know. Now I know. The knife body is polymer similar to Glock. Too heavy to just leave in your mouth but whistle is good.

Check this link out! I went to grab some for this post and found this! I see a few whistles I don't own like the mini jet stream and micro Fox 40. I have small ACR whistles all over and on lanyards and boat gear. Storm in boats and vehicles. The Jetscream makes me want to scream. People will come find you so they can shoot you. Good for urban use. Fox 40's are great. In Spring I may just order one or two of each that are new to me just to test again and add to gear.

Survival Resources: Signaling Products

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    One more thing, on the tool logic knives, they have improved them since I bought mine. Now instead of having to decide if you want fire steel, light or empty compartment, they have combined the light with the steel as an option
    Pretty sure I need one.

Sad part is they look to have dropped the notch used to throw sparks. It is a small thing, but it throws more sparks then anything I have ever seen. Some smarty type designed that notch and it is easy to copy. I have a couple of the first generation SL3's, which are similar to the current one.

http://toollogic.com/knives.html

Oh boy, whistle fire! Blow on it and make fire.
    http://www.toollogic.com/gear/signal-fire-keyring-accessory-with-magnesium-fire-starter-whistle-black.html#

Last edited:

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Started cutting next years firewood. I found a bonanza of wood, so my plan is to stock up a couple years worth. Looks like I will be building a firewood shed this summer.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Always wanted a good 4ft crosscut saw. Found this one, rusty and with a broken handle, but with very good teeth, at a flea market. Decided my top dollar was gonna be $25.00 and when I asked the old guy what he wanted, he said $3.00 (wife gave him $5.00). A little quality time wet-sanding on the blade and making a new handle from an old oak board and even without sharpening, it sang right through a 6" log.

IMG_03211.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Always wanted a good 4ft crosscut saw. Found this one, rusty and with a broken handle, but with very good teeth, at a flea market. Decided my top dollar was gonna be $25.00 and when I asked the old guy what he wanted, he said $3.00 (wife gave him $5.00). A little quality time wet-sanding on the blade and making a new handle from an old oak board and even without sharpening, it sang right through a 6" log.

IMG_03211.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Very nice. You should get or make a top handle for it as well. You'd be amazed how much the work is reduced using both hands.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Brought home most of my firewood for 2017-2018 winter.

Loaded more ammo into long term storage.

Bought a few more cases of canned goods.

Talked mom and dad into getting a gas fireplace insert with battery backup for themselves.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Still being new to the prepping game, my biggest thing to work on right now is building my supplies. This week, especially with the recent issues in Flint, I have stocked up 16 liters of water. I've been refilling soda bottles for the most part. These are stored in a tote, so it'd be easy to load in my truck in case of bug out, and also to contain a leak if it ever happens. I also received some new supplies, including a new pack, first aid kit, Mylar emergency blankets, and a 3.0L bladder for my pack. Got the pack from my local surplus store (GI Joe's Surplus in Fort Wayne). $100 for the 72 hour pack, more than enough room for everything I've got now, and with MOLLE expansion possible one day.
    New Pack.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Repacked vehicle bag. Since switching vehicles a little over a year ago I've been looking for a bag that'll hold an AR-15 in two pieces, but also fits under the back seat. Finally found just the right pack and now it's loaded just the way I want it. It's at 25 pounds right now which is a little much, but it's a starting point where I can always take things out of it if needed.

Still hitting the crossfit gym. I try to eat healthy, but pretty much eat whatever I want and my belt keeps getting tighter. Every week that goes by, I'm just a little bit stronger & faster than I was the week before.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Loaded a few hundred .223 and about 1000 9mm. I made bread from scratch for the first time, it actually
    turned out good. Reloading ammo is easier than baking.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Although I bet it's slightly less dangerous to eat poorly made bread than to shoot poorly loaded ammo. :):

Bread-making is a good skill to have. I knead to learn how to do it (pun intended).

Break making is easy. Just follow the recipe. People make it out to be much more difficult than it is. I make it at least once a week. Look up Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day....one of the easiest ones I do and so easy to have the dough ready to go and always ready for a fresh loaf to go with a meal.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Making bread (actually cinnamon rolls ) right now. Glad that counts for prepping :)

I organized my BOB last weekend. For me, it would more likely be a get-home bag than ever a "bug out". But either way I finally have it ready to grab and go, along with a Rubbermaid tub full of optional items and old backpacks that I could throw on my kids or anyone else who was with me.

I ordered a large supply of seeds for this year.

I started homemade vinegar a couple of weeks ago and it is indeed smelling as if it will be vinegar.

I tried my first time at sprouting and I am a miserable failure at something that is supposedly super-easy. The seeds were old, but I would not have expected zero germination rate. I do intend to get this tackled because first, I like sprouts on my salad, secondly I hate the winter months when the closest thing to "fresh" food is the several day old stuff at the stores, and third, it seems like an outstanding prep.

The most obvious use is storing cheap dry beans which last for years, and sprouting some of them so you can get some Vitamin C even in the winter.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you had 100% failure rate the good news is the problem was you. Something in your control was whacked. I would start with soil temp, then air temp, finally water temp. Basically focus on your set up and prep factors. Easy fix because you are doing it wrong.

If all your seeds were from the same batch, then maybe they were shot due to age or storage conditions.

SpecWar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Finally added two Glocks to the stable. A Gen4 21, 45acp nicely reworked from a buddy of mine that needed some $$$$ Second one is a Gen3 20SF, 10mm goodness....:rockwoot: This one is a work in progress. Night sites and an extended slide release for now. Hoping to add a better trigger system and internals soon. Also picked up a couple more Randall knives to add to the stash, a Windham .308SRC rifle, more freeze dried/dehydrated foods, more ammo and reloading components.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Although I bet it's slightly less dangerous to eat poorly made bread than to shoot poorly loaded ammo. :):

Bread-making is a good skill to have. I knead to learn how to do it (pun intended).

Reverse those two pairs of nouns and verbs and you will get some REAL prepping! They used to feed gunpowder to dogs to make them mean, so it should make you meaner to be ready for THAT day!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom