BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Rotated some bottled water ,traded for a generator and started buying components for aquaponics .
    I now have 4, 275 gal food grade totes and 4 , food grade ,55 gal drums which I'll cut half for grow beds .
    Need more drums . Well ,I need a lot more stuff but its a start .

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Walmart had a clearance on some vodka and whiskey. 2 dollars a bottle. Yeah its cheap stuff but good for bartering/bribery. Bought a Mr Buddy heater and a couple 1 lb bottles. working on setting up small forge to start some real basic blacksmithing. And making a pallet breaker but I need some to weld the pipes. Any suggestions close to south side of Indy?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yesterday I was waiting for a buddy to pick me up, so I used the time to fuzz a stick and then ignited the curls with my ferro rod a couple of times. It was good practice in knife use skills, judgement on the size/thickness of the curls, and proper ferrocerium rod use.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yesterday I was waiting for a buddy to pick me up, so I used the time to fuzz a stick and then ignited the curls with my ferro rod a couple of times. It was good practice in knife use skills, judgement on the size/thickness of the curls, and proper ferrocerium rod use.

I didn't know you'd been cleared for knife handling.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post:

Upgraded EDC pocket knife from swiss army farmer, to swiss army fieldmaster. I really wanted the additional second blade on the knife, the scissors, tweezers, and toothpick. Small things, but they're handy.

Did some playing around with some lightweight backpacking stoves using both MSR & Jetboil fuels. These ran just fine and for the price it seems like every prepper/outdoorsman should have a couple. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZA39W6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I used it on the trail to make the kids hot cocoa a couple times already and I like it much more than my alcohol stove so far.

Had a great conversation with my wife about "tamaflu" and the "flu shot" in general. Lots of facebook discussions with friends about how that stuff is mostly a scam and doesn't work. My wife tends to fall in line with all things modern Amercian medicine, where I tend to think most of it is a lie. Her eyes were opened a little when the medicine was about $300 per sick person with insurance and at best it cuts a day and a half off the sickness, and at worst all the side effects are the same flu symptoms you're trying to defeat.

Repacked the winter bag to adjust to newest mindset and needs.

Bought an M1A scout, because you never know when you're going to need a semi auto 308. :) So far, it's ran 100% and is so much more gentle to shoot than I'd have ever imagined.

Continue to go to crossfit classes and feeling stronger. Half heartily trying to maintain weight level after my big diet, still down 30 pounds, but could still go down another 15 without much trouble.

I've been reading up on ultralight hiking/backpacking. Lots of good information out there on how to lighten your pack. Most of my gear is mil-surplus, huge, heavy stuff like the military sleep system. Great gear, but not so great if you're trying to move a long distance on foot. I'm going to start doing my night hikes again once the kids go to bed.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You have already done the hard part of ultralight hiking, losing weight.

Elderberry bushes are easy to grow produce a ton of fruit for herbal cold/flu remedy. You can buy it at Walgreens. Worse case scenario you make wine out of it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You have already done the hard part of ultralight hiking, losing weight.

Elderberry bushes are easy to grow produce a ton of fruit for herbal cold/flu remedy. You can buy it at Walgreens. Worse case scenario you make wine out of it.

You reminded me of another one; I'm looking into another round of trees to plant this spring. White pines, and now elderberry top the list, but looking at lots of options. Also, researching what's going into the garden.

Also, looking for a bee hive to put out back by the orchard. I don't want the work involved, I just want to help the bee population and them to pollinate stuff. I doubt I even attempt to harvest the honey. I want all the benefits of honeybees, but not the work so they get to live and keep their honey as a fair trade off.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've been looking into yeast. My chief concerns are long term storage and all the different kinds out there; not only brand names (Fleischman's, et. al.) but types (brewer's, bread making, etc.) so if there are any yeast experts out there, I'd love a good schooling.

TYIA,

Stocks

I buy the Redstar yeast in a 2 pound package. I keep it in the refrigerator or freezer and it keeps for a long time. It takes me about a year to go through it and have had it on hand longer than that.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeast is naturally everywhere. Flour + Water + Time and you have your yeast starter.

And sourdough tastes better, especially if you do at least a 24 hour proofing.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Lol, one taste of that after the added oil has gone rancid........

Do not keep much more than you can rotate out.

There is survival and thriving. Your Krustys and Log cabin vs sourdough pancakes and a tapped tree.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom