Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Was it with the same magazine?

Oh, and you need to tell use more about the new knife in the knife forum, post haste!

I'm not 100% if it was the same magazine. Had this been a casual range trip, I'd have stopped to see what was going on. Since this was a training scenario once I was able to drop mag and clear it, the other I just tossed the rifle on the ground and grabbed my G17 and kept shooting. All the mags I've had for some time and ran plenty of times before, but I have one suspect that's new that I intend to test out a bit more before confirming.

As far as the knife, it's a self reliance outfitters PKS Kephart. I thought I had a spare sheath laying around and turns out I had to get one of those coming in the mail soon. I'm going to "wetform" the sheath and I've never done that "successfully" before so I'm hoping I don't go screwing the whole thing up. Hopefully that sheath gets in this weekend and I get that knocked out before this weekend.

This friday night I'm taking two nephews (18 & 16) out on their first overnight backpacking trip. It's not going to be ultra hardcore, and I'm going to keep the boys well fed, dry, safe and sound. Ideally, they're going to do something they've never done before and enjoy it, hopefully they'll want to do it again. Worst case, they'll at least have one trip under their belt, and never do it again. I really haven't done much backpacking in summer temps at all so I'm having to rethink a lot of things. Usually I go out late spring, or after first frost in the fall and all through winter just because bugs and ticks aren't my friends. Now I'm on the fence about what sleeping bags to put the buys in. It'll either be a surplus MSS green patrol pack, or a surplus MSS black bag to make sure they're going to be warm and toasty. One will be in a hammock, the other in a tent, and I'll be in a hammock as well. We may switch that up, but we'll see what we get into.

Also, debating on any good lessons to make sure these guys learn on this trip. If I can get the basics in their heads, like a couple knots, fatwood & ferro rod, feather stick, and looking out for water, wind, widow makers, and whatever the other one is I think that'd be enough to get some amount of grit instilled for an overnighter.

For myself, I've got a Helikon Swagman Roll inbound because I really like the concept of a poncho, woobie, sleeping bag, jacket thing that takes one piece of gear out of my pack and replaces with nothing but versatility. Only problem is that I like to test things in the backyard before getting out a few miles and finding out something sucks. We'll see how that goes......

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last weekend I took two nephews (18 & 16) out on their first over night backpacking trip. They've hiked, but never an overnight. We went up to the Manistee River Trail in Michigan and it was as simple and easy as we could have hoped for. By the time we got there it was 10pm. We hiked 3 miles under head lamps, setup camp, ate dinner and had a campfire. We finally crashed around 2:00am. The swagman roll did it's job and kept me warm. Got up at 7:00am and packed up and headed out. It was quick and simple with lots of comfort built into the trip but even if they never do it again, they can say they've done it now. I didn't make a class out of it, but showed them the knots I used, the widow makers we were looking out for, how to scrape a piece of pine for some fatwood and starting that little pile on fire with a ferro rod off the back of the knife. I showed them just enough to see how interested they'd be in learning more.

Got a chance to put rounds through a PSA PA10 G2 308. Less than 100 rounds and the BCG gas key is in serious contact with the underside of the charging handle. I had one round chamber, but trigger was dead. It'll be going back soon. It wasn't meant to be anything more than a play thing, but it needs to work.

My wife made a comment about how she'd go with me on one of my little overnight hiking trips and I may be taking her up on it. I hope to make that happen.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    T-12

So how did they like it....?????

I asked them about it before we went to sleep and one said "I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would". I don't know how high he had set the bar, but I'll take that as a good thing. I didn't hear any whining and I they enjoyed some of the views, so overall I think I'm happy with how it went and what they got out of it. I don't think it'll end up being their thing, but it was good for them to experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I asked them about it before we went to sleep and one said "I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would". I don't know how high he had set the bar, but I'll take that as a good thing. I didn't hear any whining and I they enjoyed some of the views, so overall I think I'm happy with how it went and what they got out of it. I don't think it'll end up being their thing, but it was good for them to experience.

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Now's the time to casually leave some printed materials in their living space like Dave Canterbury's bushcraft books.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just ordered another dozen mags (CLIPS! :p) for the AK. Putting away berries as preserves, strawberry, currant, gooseberry and mulberry so far.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Now's the time to casually leave some printed materials in their living space like Dave Canterbury's bushcraft books.

I've got every book he's produced that I'm aware of. I kept waiting for that moment when I'd see a spark of interest in their eyes. Most people get intreged by knots as some kind of clever puzzle of party trick and that didn't really get it. I hoped the fatwood and ferro rod would be a ringer for me. Everyone even remotely interested in outdoorsy stuff goes to fire stuff like a crackhead, and that didn't get much more than a shoulder shrug. They're both kind of quiet guys anyway, but nothing seemed to really excite them. At this point I don't think it's going to be their "thing", but you never know. With trips like this it's all better in hindsight so it'll be something they can look back on and then maybe it'll get them into it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've got every book he's produced that I'm aware of. I kept waiting for that moment when I'd see a spark of interest in their eyes. Most people get intreged by knots as some kind of clever puzzle of party trick and that didn't really get it. I hoped the fatwood and ferro rod would be a ringer for me. Everyone even remotely interested in outdoorsy stuff goes to fire stuff like a crackhead, and that didn't get much more than a shoulder shrug. They're both kind of quiet guys anyway, but nothing seemed to really excite them. At this point I don't think it's going to be their "thing", but you never know. With trips like this it's all better in hindsight so it'll be something they can look back on and then maybe it'll get them into it.

The game isn't over yet!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Competing with the interwebs is a serious deal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    20190702-165019.jpg

20190702-221948.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Nice. I just picked a bunch of cucumbers today. I'll be pickling them tomorrow. What are you fermenting in the second picture?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nice. I just picked a bunch of cucumbers today. I'll be pickling them tomorrow. What are you fermenting in the second picture?

That is a rough attempt at a Curtido ferment. Cabbage, jalapenos, onions and tops, fresh oregano with just enough carrot for a hint of flavor and color. I'm anxious to see how it turns out as the japs are not very hot at all this year, so far.

With the warm temps, these ferments get to work quick. 7-10 days is about it before they need to go in the fridge.

So far this year, I've been lucky at staying ahead of the cukes, catching most before they get too big to be reasonable sized pickles. If I can keep going on this and the rain stays consistent, I'm hoping to fill a couple gallon jars to store in the back of the fridge. Maybe more?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom