churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

My wife gives me crap all the time for filling any empty space with gallon jugs of water. We had the breaker on the outlet the freezer was plugged into pop 2 summers ago and we lost everything in the deep freezer. Since then I've been putting gallon jugs of water in the freezer when ever there's space and have a small UPS system plugged into the same outlet so there's some type of alarm if the outlet breaker pops again.

I have been doing refrigeration my entire adult life. Brief adventures into other things but HVAC-R has always been the main career. I learned very long ago that a full freezer will maintain temp a lot longer than an empty one. The product holds the temp.

Not sure why anyone would give you crap about this but you are doing the right thing.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I've been in vehicle prep mode lately.. The Jeep is pretty heavily outfitted now- have a roof top tent, solar panel and fridge on it ready for camping at all times, so it is dual purpose.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I have been doing refrigeration my entire adult life. Brief adventures into other things but HVAC-R has always been the main career. I learned very long ago that a full freezer will maintain temp a lot longer than an empty one. The product holds the temp.

Not sure why anyone would give you crap about this but you are doing the right thing.

I tried explaining to her it's the same concept of using ice packs in a cooler but she just looked at me like I was :nuts:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been in vehicle prep mode lately.. The Jeep is pretty heavily outfitted now- have a roof top tent, solar panel and fridge on it ready for camping at all times, so it is dual purpose.

When the spouse and I st got married we had this thing set up to live in.
    2 alternators. 1 for the truck and one off an ambulance with an invertor. Plenty of power.
    Converted a ford A/C compressor into an air pump. It could pump up a tire no worries.
    Front buckets and the back was a camper.
    Serious power plant, 3 peddles.
    We went out in it in the woods for days at a time. I miss it.

Crap Polaroid pics. Sorry.
    GLFef6c.jpg

t9437gf.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finished the stand for the rain barrels. Lids not on in this pic. The pump does a great job moving the water where we need it. I keep them full either from rain (Gutter filled) or the hose. There is near 100 gallons here.

1kwIDGI.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Finished the stand for the rain barrels. Lids not on in this pic. The pump does a great job moving the water where we need it. I keep them full either from rain (Gutter filled) or the hose. There is near 100 gallons here.

Nice job getting the water setup.

I was able to confirm last night, my oldest child (10) and I are going to take a survival class at Campcraft Outdoors on August 3rd. I first met the owner/operator Jason Hunt when taking a pathfinder basic class back in '14 and I think he's one of the reasons why I learned so much and why I enjoyed it as much as I did. His schools training is more geared towards a church ministry and I've been trying to come up with ways of getting guys more active in our church. I reached out to him asking for advice which led to a conversation about getting reacquainted during one of these classes. I'm excited about it and my daughter is really pumped. For one it's a daddy daughter weekend trip, but she's also really pumped about what we're going to learn. She's an outdoor kid, and when she asked if this was going to be like what we learned in cub scouts I just laughed and told her cub scouts is glorified babysitting, this is the good stuff we should be doing in cub scouts.

Now, I've got an excited child who wants to learn some outdoorsy stuff. I think I'm going to surprise her with her very own pink knife. I'll probably definitely get her a swiss army fieldmaster like what I have, but also thinking about getting her a fixed blade. I was thinking an esee 3 or 4 with TKC pink scales. She's going to get her pick of whatever she wants out of my current collection and seeing what she chooses will help direct us from there. I'm just excited that she's excited to spend time with me doing something like this.

https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/emergency-survival-skills

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice job getting the water setup.

I was able to confirm last night, my oldest child (10) and I are going to take a survival class at Campcraft Outdoors on August 3rd. I first met the owner/operator Jason Hunt when taking a pathfinder basic class back in '14 and I think he's one of the reasons why I learned so much and why I enjoyed it as much as I did. His schools training is more geared towards a church ministry and I've been trying to come up with ways of getting guys more active in our church. I reached out to him asking for advice which led to a conversation about getting reacquainted during one of these classes. I'm excited about it and my daughter is really pumped. For one it's a daddy daughter weekend trip, but she's also really pumped about what we're going to learn. She's an outdoor kid, and when she asked if this was going to be like what we learned in cub scouts I just laughed and told her cub scouts is glorified babysitting, this is the good stuff we should be doing in cub scouts.

Now, I've got an excited child who wants to learn some outdoorsy stuff. I think I'm going to surprise her with her very own pink knife. I'll probably definitely get her a swiss army fieldmaster like what I have, but also thinking about getting her a fixed blade. I was thinking an esee 3 or 4 with TKC pink scales. She's going to get her pick of whatever she wants out of my current collection and seeing what she chooses will help direct us from there. I'm just excited that she's excited to spend time with me doing something like this.

https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/emergency-survival-skills

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been practicing whittling shavings/curls some more and saving the shavings for tinder for future fires. I'm getting a charcoal grill someday soon and I intend to practice my fire starting and building skills to get it going each time rather than use lighter fluid or easy start charcoal.

While practicing using my ferro rod and the shavings, I learned something new. While the back of an SAK saw is sharp enough to throw really good sparks, it's a little too flexible to apply enough pressure to scrape slowly and get your sparks exactly where you want them. When I switched to the spine of my neck knife, I got the same pile of shavings to ignite in two strikes.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Saw this. It would need a screen. I like the collection aspect out in the open. Overflow would need to have a connection. Certainly would be way cheaper than commercial rain barrels. Leaning toward SHTF or an out back garden option.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Saw this. It would need a screen. I like the collection aspect out in the open. Overflow would need to have a connection. Certainly would be way cheaper than commercial rain barrels. Leaning toward SHTF or an out back garden option.

Not sure about "out in the open". Rain barrels are almost always connected to downspouts because that greatly multiplies the collection area. Leaving that container out in the open means that a 1" rain gives you 1" of water. Connecting it to a house/shed would greatly amplify the water collecting ability.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Not sure about "out in the open". Rain barrels are almost always connected to downspouts because that greatly multiplies the collection area. Leaving that container out in the open means that a 1" rain gives you 1" of water. Connecting it to a house/shed would greatly amplify the water collecting ability.

This would be secondary in my head. Tin roof would be preferable for runoff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Exactly. My barrels were very low due to lack of rain. I use the system to keep my Garden watered. The little bit of rain we just had filled them both.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last weekend I competed in the Guardian Long Range Match in Lake City Michigan. I learned areas where I need to improve, where I do well, and where I stack up against other men. Turns out, I'm an alright shot.

We just added an in ground water supply cache in the backyard, but my wife insists we call it a pool. I didn't have water concerns before, and certainly don't have them now.

I'm working with my daughter on some basics before we go to the class in a couple weeks. Knots like the bowline, marlin spike truckers hitch and simple knots. Working on knife safety and she's got a brand new swiss army fieldmaster with her name engraved in the side of it along with a mora light my fire that's purple. I want her to have a good experience there and the more she can learn ahead of time the more she can focus on the new material being taught. She's really excited about it all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Picked up broccoli, cabbage and brusells sprout plants today. Hoping to get them in tomorrow, along with roma beans, spinach and turnips.

Pulled a cuke plant, leaving 2 pretty rattly looking ones for the occasional cuke, while waiting on the freshly seeded plants to start. Hoping for fresh plants to make another batch of lacto fermented pickles for the winter.

Spent the last of the sunlight today on the dumb end of the shovel. Had to cover bushels of weeds, extra cukes and a few pounds of fish parts, to turn them into compost.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Picked up a side of beef for the freezer. Read Bushcraft 101 and Advanced Bushcraft. Jumping on the Dave Canterbury wagon with my son. We've started the Self Reliance certification dvd course. We practiced with fire steels, solar ignition, made char cloth. Took the free cargo tape class saturday at self reliance outdoors. I unloaded one of my bug out bags and reloaded it to the 10 c's standard. Planning on familiarizing myself with the Canterbury methods and taking the basic survival class next spring. My wife thinks this is a healthier hobby than going skydiving once or twice a week.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Picked up a side of beef for the freezer. Read Bushcraft 101 and Advanced Bushcraft. Jumping on the Dave Canterbury wagon with my son. We've started the Self Reliance certification dvd course. We practiced with fire steels, solar ignition, made char cloth. Took the free cargo tape class saturday at self reliance outdoors. I unloaded one of my bug out bags and reloaded it to the 10 c's standard. Planning on familiarizing myself with the Canterbury methods and taking the basic survival class next spring. My wife thinks this is a healthier hobby than going skydiving once or twice a week.

You wont regret his basic class. I took it in Nov of 14 and it was no joke. A friend took it 6 months later and both classes had people quit and leave and not pass. It's not easy, but if you're doing the homework ahead of time you do fine.

My daughter and I took Basic Bushcraft last Saturday at Campcraft Outdoors. I met him at the pathfinder basic class years ago. We were taught some medicinal plants, tree, hiked some southern hills, looked for certain stones to make paint with chicken eggs, and did some flint and steel fire starting. It was a good day of class, but a great get away for my daughter and I. We camped out in hammocks the night before and that was her first time in a hammock.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Worked out.

Went to the range. G19, Mk II, M6 Scout

Bought a few bricks of .22 automatch and 250 rds of Federal 5.56

Went camping with my daughters, always good tp knock the rust of campcraft skill, open fire cooking, etc etc. Did some hiking.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started working out again two weeks ago. Worked out till I puked on the second day. Already feeling better, stronger, and soarer.

Starting to get serious about a home battery backup. Mostly thinking so I can have a mobile backpack ham radio that's got some horsepower. Not really sure what battery to start with. Radio is done, and it's a yeasu 75W. Now it needs a power source (battery), then a smart charger to keep it topped off. My plan is to have this able to be unplugged fully charged and tossed in the back of a vehicle at a moments notice as a self contained fully functioning unit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom