• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I live just South of the Michigan border and may eventually buy some acreage up the road in Michigan to build a new home on. As a lifetime Indiana LTCH holder, what would the situation be? Would I need to get a new Michigan permit every X years or after informing Indiana of my new address, am I covered with my current IN license due to reciprocity?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I *believe* that once you are no longer an Indiana resident, your LTCH is void. Indiana DOES issue permits for non-residents, but I don't know the restrictions off-hand.

I also believe Michigan would only recognize your "permit" if it was issued by your home state. So, even if you had an Indiana license, MI would not recognize it if you lived in Michigan.

Looks like you would need to get your Michigan permit.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure of the license holding up while being a resident in the state of Michigan.

I do believe you have to live in the state that issued the license. That would make an out of state visitor with a Utah license - unless they did indeed live in Utah - invalid.

Also, if you set up primary residence in Michigan, you must register all handguns. Not cool. And when you want to buy a handgun from a shop up there it gets even uncooler.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is an entry in the INGO FAQ that covers this. If you move out of state, you're no longer a resident and so your license is not valid (generally speaking - there are exceptions). You call the ISP and they'll "deactivate" your license. If you move back to Indiana later on, you can call them and have them "reactivate" it and it will be valid again without going through the application process again.
    Also, if you set up primary residence in Michigan, you must register all handguns. Not cool. And when you want to buy a handgun from a shop up there it gets even uncooler.
    Michigan no longer requires safety checks on all handguns (their thinly-veiled gun registration scheme) as of, I believe, 2009.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Additionally, if you live in Michigan, you have 30 days to register your handguns (one reason, among several, I'll NEVER willingly move there). See #7 & #10 below:

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

Referenced code:

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.422

It's a bit confusing, they refer to the law changes, but they seem do still be doing registration anyway.

Although you can get a license in Michigan nowadays, their handgun law isn't completely fixed yet. Republicans have some more work to do up there (starting with abolishing the whole current purchase/registration nonsense - it would save significant money being spent on something completely unproductive). Hopefully it gets done.

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    There is an entry in the INGO FAQ that covers this.

The thread from that entry has a post that makes things even stranger...
    I lived in Indiana. I obtained the lifetime permit to carry a handgun. I moved to michigan, but commute just across the state line and (still) work in Indiana. I obtained my CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in Michigan, since my IN LiCH was no good (in Michigan) if I had residency in MI. So far so good.

I called the IN state police and asked about my lifetime LiCH, considering that I worked in Indiana 6 days a week, and occasionally carried large sums of money, BUT lived in Michigan. Here's the interesting part:

They said I should send them a change of address notice, but list my workplace as the "home" address.

So now, I think I am the only non-Indiana-resident with a valid and in-force lifetime LiCH. Or, maybe the cop of the dayjust told me wrong.

I would be in the same situation working in Indiana.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The thread from that entry has a post that makes things even stranger...

I would be in the same situation working in Indiana.

It's not that strange. You can have dual-residency, and this just sounds like a licensing loophole that their database doesn't know how to handle, even though it's legal. Here is the residency law:

IC 9-13-2-78
    Indiana resident
    Sec. 78. "Indiana resident" refers to a person who is one (1) of the following:
    (1) A person who has been living in Indiana for at least one hundred eighty-three (183) days during a calendar year and who has a legal residence in another state. However, the term does not include a person who has been living in Indiana for any of the following purposes:
    (A) Attending a postsecondary educational institution.
    (B) Serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States.
    (2) A person who is living in Indiana if the person has no other legal residence.

(3) A person who is registered to vote in Indiana.

(4) A person who has a child enrolled in an elementary or a secondary school located in Indiana.

(5) A person who has more than one-half (1/2) of the person's gross income (as defined in Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code) derived from sources in Indiana using the provisions applicable to determining the source of adjusted gross income that are set forth in IC 6-3-2-2. However, a person who is considered a resident under this subdivision is not a resident if the person proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the person is not a resident under subdivisions (1) through (4).

(6) A person who: (A) is enrolled as a student of a truck driver training school;
    (B) has legal residence in another state but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of taking a course of study from the truck driver training school; and
    (C) intends to return to the person's state of residence upon completion of the course of study of the truck driver training school.

I believe Clause 5 would cover you. However, it also says it *doesn't* cover you if Clauses 1-4 prove that you're NOT a resident. For example, if you have a primary residence in another state. I know that there are some out-of-state INGO members who work in Indiana, though, that have been granted an Indiana LTCH, so I'm not sure how that works.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway since your Michigan CPL would be valid in Indiana while you're a Michigan resident.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... It's a bit of a moot point anyway since your Michigan CPL would be valid in Indiana while you're a Michigan resident.

And the Michigan CPL is recognized by more states than IN's LTCH, FWIW, due to the training req.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I lived in Michigan for a few years and got my Michigan CPL. Was kind of a pain compared to the Indiana license due to the mandatory training and interview with the "gun board". Made me feel kinda dirty to tell the truth. I was so glad to move back to Indiana and the land of the free.

Only thing I miss, and was mentioned in another post is losing reciprocity with some other states like Ohio, but that was a small disadvantage in my opinion.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Only thing I miss, and was mentioned in another post is losing reciprocity with some other states like Ohio, but that was a small disadvantage in my opinion.

And can easily be compensated for with a UT, FL, etc. non-resident permit/license.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    And thank the good Lord you're still closer to Indiana than you are to Canada. Elsewise, you'd have to learn to start putting random "eh's" in your sentences. Sorta like this. "I just filled up my gas tank, eh, and boy, was it expensive! Eh!?*"

*That second "eh" was totally optional.

Top Bottom