What if the Dollar collapses? New currency?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the global economy is collapsing not just the U.S. I've been seeing a lot about dubai headed to bankruptcy. there are a few countries that will come out on top,(india, china) and god help us when that happens.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    This platform will do you well.

As Bo Gritz said it so well: God. Guts. Guns. Groceries. Gold (and a few 5ths of Jack #5.) I deal with a local Minimart, and only with the owner. Any day of the week, $1.00 in real silver coin is worth a 20-gallon tank of diesel or gasoline. I have traded a 20-rd box of Win Silvertip .45 for a tank also. No questions ever asked. A 5th of #5 is worth $10 gas. He doesn't drink it, as neither do I. It's just fair exchange. Tobacco is also good insurance, as is dry packaged bread-mix and cornbread. Lasts forever. Think ahead. Pat.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Think again, you big U.S. hegemonist!

The Eur. Union is NUMBER 1! U.S.A is second, by 4-billion less, and China nd Japan are a tie for Number 3. But none of that matters if you are not ready for the Carnivore Caravans to invade your neighborhood when the Mother of all RodneyKing/MartinLutherKing uprisings comes. And it will. Know your friends; know your enemies better; trust no-one. You don't need to speak Chinese in order to buy groceries at China-mart - - - yet. Pat.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    It's All Very simple:

Just write them a check, like Øbama does !
    If you have gold, exchange it for SILVER,
    NOW!!! Silver is still stable.

Prices in U.S. dollars, no inflation:
    1792 world Gold price, $19.39/Troy oz.
    1837 world gold price, $20.67/Troy oz.( a TWENTY % INCREASE!)
    1880-1933 " " $20.67
    In 1933 FDR forced U.S. citizens to
    sell their Gold to the government
    at the official price of $20.67,
    and made private possession of gold
    illegal. Once he had collected all
    Gold into government coffers, he
    adjusted the price to its real
    price of $35 per Troy ounce, and
    made it legal to own gold again,
    but citizens had to buy gold at the
    new price fix....thus the government
    made a 69.33% profit overnight.
    1980 $850/oz.
    2001 $300/oz.
    2009 $1,150/oz.
    2010~2012 ¿¿ $4,500/oz ?? (Yup, I predict this by 2011)
    No-one is saying to buy gold now, but YOU
    SHOULD HAVE!! No, one cannot eat gold,
    but neither can one eat toilet-paper, or bullets!!
    Better have some!!

Last edited:

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Once he had collected all
    Gold into government coffers, he
    adjusted the price to its real
    price of $35 per Troy ounce, and
    made it legal to own gold again,
    but citizens had to buy gold at the
    new price fix....thus the government
    made a handsome 69.33% profit overnight.

Haven't heard that you could have bought it back from them. It was illegal for US citizens to own gold until 1974.

FWIW, That 1980 price of $850 per oz is $2300 in todays money. We're really only half-way there at today's prices.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I'll say it again. Its not the gold going up folks its the dollar dropping in value that makes gold prices so high. Its gonna get higher and higher til we see the dollar worth next to nothing.The powers that be want a slow controlled slide so they can milk it for all its worth.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    THINK: KATRINA, GREAT DEPRESSION, 9/11 (as a wide-spread event this time), THE GREAT DUST-STORMS OF THE '30s, and both series of King riots....ALL at once. Take an hour a day for a month and watch "Gangland" on History channel and see what you'd better be prepared for.
    Ammo will be currency,but ONLY if one has the ability to trade it to someone who has a weapon, or to USE it (as in "Bang! You're Dead".) The bullets may be GOLD, but the weapon will be PLATINUM!!
    1st, care for your own: Ist Timothy 5:8. 2d, prepare against the infidel.
    Dear Dr Falken; you said, "There might be some sense in having junk silver and what-not for trade..." Interesting fact that no-one ever says: "Junk Gold!"
    Interesting scenario at ChinaMart the other day. Nat'l Cash Register guy was installing new software and accidentally shut off all electronic systems to and from all the banks. But folks just whipped out ca$h and kept on buying. No checks. No plastic. No biggie. Only those without ca$h had any problem, for about 30-minutes. What would I do if Øbama decides to close the banks for a week? How about a MONTH?? CSM47362, if YOU don't already have BOTH $1300 in gold AND $1300 in food-stash, you are way behind the curve. Ever seen a food-riot? A water-riot or gas-station riot? Prepare. Remember The Golden Rule: "He who has the gold makes up the rules." Pat

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If the SHTF for real, it won't matter what the currency is. If you need something, you're gonna have to just take it. If someone needs something of yours and you don't want to let it go, they are going to have to try to take if from you. Bottom line: If the shtf for real money and/or currency is not going to matter at all.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I knew an old German who survived WWII and worked the black market, post-war.

Granted this was in Europe 60+ years ago, but he told me there were a few things moved like lightning: cigarettes, alcohol, toilet paper and...chocolate.

Don't underestimate the psychology of a SHTF scenario. Yes, people have needs, but in a culture that has been so focused on wants, your gain on small ticket "comfort" items can be huge. Not to say a case of 5.56 or 9mm would be too shabby to have. :D

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I started this thread because I really don't know what WILL happen WHEN the $ collapses. I used to think IF. Now that this health care fiasco will pass, I'm sure our economy is doomed. I have no faith that even if the GOP takes over the legislative branch in the 2010 elections, that they won't spend crazy or be able to turn it around. Also I believe all the scenarios posted could very well come true, at least some places, sometimes. Lots of BIG shots make Big Money legitimately in this economy, WHY are they just standing by while it's going down the toilet? There is money to be made from cradle to grave,who will prosper if the USA becomes one huge Katrina? Who will buy China's junk when we're collapsed?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I started this thread because I really don't know what WILL happen WHEN the $ collapses. I used to think IF. Now that this health care fiasco will pass, I'm sure our economy is doomed. I have no faith that even if the GOP takes over the legislative branch in the 2010 elections, that they won't spend crazy or be able to turn it around. Also I believe all the scenarios posted could very well come true, at least some places, sometimes. Lots of BIG shots make Big Money legitimately in this economy, WHY are they just standing by while it's going down the toilet? There is money to be made from cradle to grave,who will prosper if the USA becomes one huge Katrina? Who will buy China's junk when we're collapsed?

This is a great thread with much potential, I think. Probably worth 100 threads, in fact!

I think too often people hear SHTF and think of a "giant meteor hits the earth" type disaster. Katrina is a great example of a SHTF scenario, but that type of disaster tends to be regional, rather than national in scope. A natural disaster of that severity with a permanent impact isn't likely to hit Indiana, unless the New Madrid fault slips in a major way. Granted, we had serious flooding in southern Indiana just a couple of years ago, but that didn't result in the government collapsing, etc.

Regarding a financial collapse that would have a national impact, I think many on this board probably have an aged relative who can comment on what that would be like, based on their experience in the Great Depression. No doubt there would be much suffering and inconvenience, but I don't think the United States turns into Darfur because the Chinese stop buying our debt. The world may hate us and our way of life, but I don't doubt they will try to prop us up in some way so we can continue to buy their goods. If they don't, they are going to follow us down the drain eventually, especially the Chinese.

I recently read Stud Terkel's "Hard Times", and recognized some eerie parallels between people's observations about the Great Depression and our current time. Remember, things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I knew an old German who survived WWII and worked the black market, post-war.

Granted this was in Europe 60+ years ago, but he told me there were a few things moved like lightning: cigarettes, alcohol, toilet paper and...chocolate.

Don't underestimate the psychology of a SHTF scenario. Yes, people have needs, but in a culture that has been so focused on wants, your gain on small ticket "comfort" items can be huge. Not to say a case of 5.56 or 9mm would be too shabby to have. :D

Good thinking. :yesway:

I used to believe in buying silver & gold as a back-up to the dollar for when it collapses, and let a good amount of friends (who know what's goin' on.. you know, non-sheeple) know I thought that was definitely a good investment to make these days and advised them to do it.. but a few posts in this thread have kinda steered me down a different path, and made me think differently.
    Especially these from csm & longbarrel:
    Here is where my thoughts are. Which will do me more good and be worth more a 1 oz gold coin that cost me $1300 or $1300 worth of food, medical supplies, oil, house hold goods, and ammo. In my mind there is no choice. I have some silver and even a little gold but if I did already have my stock pile of the other stuff I would sell it right away and buy them.

If the SHTF for real, it won't matter what the currency is. If you need something, you're gonna have to just take it. If someone needs something of yours and you don't want to let it go, they are going to have to try to take if from you. Bottom line: If the shtf for real money and/or currency is not going to matter at all.

I'm still not positive on what to think of when it comes to having (even buying, "last minute", so say) silver and gold, currently.. I do think it's good to have now though, when the dollar is still maintaining what little value it has currently, and the price of bullion is dramatically rising..
    But, that also leads me to question things like: Should people should turn in what they have now and stock up on essentials? - Or take a chance and wait to see where the price for bullion ends up, and buy items then? Would the latter not be a wise choice, because prices of essentials will rise in accordance with the value of the dollar dropping? Or would you be able to get more things for your money that you obtained from turning in gold/silver, despite the higher prices, obviously getting more money for what you turned in? Would it really matter when you did it then, just as long as it's done before it's too late? Etc, etc. I believe it's hard to say, just because nobody really knows WHEN it will happen..

Almost feel stupid now for not thinking more logically or deeper into the scenario, with it approaching so fast :n00b:

No doubt the collapse is inevitable and WILL happen sooner than we all envisioned though!

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    This is a great thread with much potential, I think. Probably worth 100 threads, in fact!

I think too often people hear SHTF and think of a "giant meteor hits the earth" type disaster. Katrina is a great example of a SHTF scenario, but that type of disaster tends to be regional, rather than national in scope. A natural disaster of that severity with a permanent impact isn't likely to hit Indiana, unless the New Madrid fault slips in a major way. Granted, we had serious flooding in southern Indiana just a couple of years ago, but that didn't result in the government collapsing, etc.

Regarding a financial collapse that would have a national impact, I think many on this board probably have an aged relative who can comment on what that would be like, based on their experience in the Great Depression. No doubt there would be much suffering and inconvenience, but I don't think the United States turns into Darfur because the Chinese stop buying our debt. The world may hate us and our way of life, but I don't doubt they will try to prop us up in some way so we can continue to buy their goods. If they don't, they are going to follow us down the drain eventually, especially the Chinese.

I recently read Stud Terkel's "Hard Times", and recognized some eerie parallels between people's observations about the Great Depression and our current time. Remember, things are never as good or as bad as they seem.
    ^ This, too.
    Things to think about here, as well. :yesway:

Bigboy47834

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it all goes down the tubes some of the best things to have stockpiled will be... canned beer (trade it one at a time) .223 and 9mm ammo (most common) and weapons... buy up the cheap 9mm handguns and rifles, they will indeed be worth the weight in gold.... when TSHTF

Top Bottom