• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    What do you guys keep in your survival pack and more importantly...have you tested and practiced your survival skills? I keep general first aid,a bundle of paracord,flint,a homemade fold up camp grill, tin cup,small cooking pot(about 1.5 pint), a small roll of 20# fishing line, 5 ot 6 hooks in a box for contact lense case which also has a small mirror in the lid,tube of all weather matches, carbon steel ring and tinder, about 20' of snare wire, a leatherman and the one item that always confuses people is a small bottle of daily multivitamins. Reason behind the multi vitamins is in my mind yes i know i can get enough food to give me the energy i need to survive but alot of times what food you kill or gather doesnt provide you with all the extra vitamins and minerals you need for propper health for an extended period of time

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    That all fits within my small section of my 3 piece pack. I carry it everytime i go hunting,fishing,or hiking along with my old timer knife, a bowie knife and my fixed blade crkt which is smooth on one side and the spine is serated half way. Ive always said a man is only as good as his blade in a survival situation. Just carying one knife you never know when you may break a blade or need a different style. My old timer folder is for general use,bowie is for hacking and chopping type cuts and my crkt works great for cleaning animals and cutting cord

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My pocket survival kit contains: a small multitool, maglite mini (AAA), storm matches, bic mini, hacksaw blade, liquid filled compass, 20" cordage, 10" brass wire, fishing kit, tinder, water bag, 2 katadyn water treatment tabs, 2 safety pins, razor blade. Its about the size of an Altoids tin.

I have used less than that to survive in the woods in 12 inches of snow and below zero F temps. I get out and practice, all the time, year round.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    My pocket survival kit contains: a small multitool, maglite mini (AAA), storm matches, bic mini, hacksaw blade, liquid filled compass, 20" cordage, 10" brass wire, fishing kit, tinder, water bag, 2 katadyn water treatment tabs, 2 safety pins, razor blade. Its about the size of an Altoids tin.

I have used less than that to survive in the woods in 12 inches of snow and below zero F temps. I get out and practice, all the time, year round.

Sounds like the wetsu survival kit :) How long did you last out there with it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In a metal tin slightly bigger than an altoids can, I keep;
    -The tin (can be used to boil water or cook but only in extreme emergencies because its so small. It's easy to craft things from nature for the same thing and better)
    - a mirror out of camo face paint kit. Signaling and wound care on my face.
    - safety pins for many uses (research these)
    - 2 fishing hooks (really not enough)
    - candy or gum (as a moral booster)
    - small button flashlight (quality one)
    - punch balloon for water storage and signaling or flotation device (very durable) I ditched the un-lubed condoms for it.
    - band aids and butterfly closures
    - fishing line
    - metal snare wire ( security and traps)
    - mini multitool with a quality plier for a needle driver
    - pencil cut down and wrapped in duct tape ( it's very important in a survival situation to keep a log or routine. Even simple tasks will be skipped because your mind deteriorates. Also can leave notes for rescue or ..) duct tape can be used for everything including wound closure or covering blisters like moleskin) research moleskin
    - cut down magnesium rod and fire steel
    - cut down mini bic lighter for spark only
    - iodine tabs (fast water purification for quick hydration in larger quantities than a slow filter will give (within 20 minutes).
    - anti- diarea (3 tabs)
    - prescription pain pills (this is a very last case use item. U need your mind clear. And other reasons u don't wanna use them)
    - birthday candle ( fast fire and light and heat) yes under a ponch it's warm even for a bit)
    - Walmart cheap ass poncho ranger banded (research) to the outside.

In my pockets I keep a good multipurpose knife, also a compass on my watch. My shoe laces are replaced with 550 cord. And of coarse my carry weapons one of which is pepper spray because I believe in having a non lethal option if possible.

I'm sure I forgot something but this really takes up little space. Forgot the Mylar space blanket also banded to the outside. It's a fast shelter and heat reflector or signal.
    If I fell into cold water and needed to get warm fast with minimal motor skills there are items In my kit that allow for this. I try to modify my kit with the seasons too. This is only the first level of a kit. If I had to ditch my pack and only go with what's on my person this kit with my knowledge Through training and practice could increase my chances of survival indeffinately.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like the wetsu survival kit :) How long did you last out there with it?

It pretty much is. Original prototype.

We survived overnight. Built a two man shelter out of white pine and our snowshoes, and had a huge fire. My buddy brought a canteen so we had water. I had a slimjim and a granola bar in my pocket. He had a flask of scotch. It was high livin' really.

But work called Monday, so we had to leave the woods.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Ive lasted 1 complete month back in 09 off of my "small" kit just to see if i could do it. After reading what you guys consider small packs it makes mi.e seam huge. It basically the bottom off of a 3 piece hunting pack. Bottom is a fanny pack that unzips from the main bag then the sides of the main bag are actually conected to the packs frame. Its really a handy system i just wish i remember who made it as the tags are all long gone and there are no logos

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Unemployment debit card, WIC coupons, Food stamp debit card, earned income tax credit check, Amnesty citizenship documents, Agricultural subsidy check, bail out voucher from my failed business, and a small statue of our President to give me hope. I need nothing else after all - it's all free and available to just about anyone who will vote.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom