What influences you decision to buy one gun over some other gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Quality + Reliability + Reputation
    Fit + Feel/Ergonomics
    Looks/style/finish
    Caliber + Magazine Capacity
    Price is one of my lowest factors, within reason. Overall value for a reliable/quality firearm is what matters.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    My reasons
    870 -- for Deer -- For the low cost and reliable reputation -- My first buy 20+ years ago
    P89 -- Price -- Used for PP
    Vaquero 44 -- Impulse Buy -- Wanted a six shooter -- price was good at the 1500
    SR1911 -- Wanted an American Classic -- Waited for about a year and then saw one at GM and overpaid by about $100 -- American made
    10/22 -- Because everyone should have one
    Stoeger Autoloader - Birds & Rabbits -- Pretty Good Quality for Under $400
    Taurus 44 with 8-1/2" barrel -- Good buy -- Used -- Deer hunting and because it is cool looking
    Mosin -- Price Price Price -- Ammo Price -- Surprised how good a shooter it actually is
    Nagant Revolver -- Price Price Price -- And I always wanted a revolver with a 25# trigger pull
    Saiga 7.62 x 39 -- Plinker -- SHTF gun -- Steal at $300 about 2 years ago -- New
    LCP -- Great back up -- Can always carry completely concealed -- New -- Good price --
    Marlin 1894 44 Lever -- Used excuse that need a better deer gun with a scope for Deer. -- New -- Price was average
    Mossberg 20 bolt action -- Used -- Friend sold it to me for $30 -- Bought just to have
    Tommy Gun (AO1927A1) -- Impulse buy sort of -- Used but unfired -- Waited til I found for the price I wanted --

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    The old A-Team show made me buy a Mini-14. I'll never forgive them for that.
    I forgot. My Mini -- New -- Impulse buy -- Wanted to get something similar to AR but unique -- just for plinking -- Price was ok at the time, but great as things are right now.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The old A-Team show made me buy a Mini-14. I'll never forgive them for that.
    See, all of us have something in common, even us. While I am a Ruger Man, I couldn't sell my Mini-14 fast enough.

As for how I pick a firearm....

I like to be able to handle it first. Check how it feels in my hand or how easily and naturally it shoulders.
    I do check Ruger first when I am looking for something in particular but if it isn't to my tastes I will check similar weapons across brands.

Used firearms I insist on being able to look them over before paying, even in a FTF through the INGO Classifieds with pix.
    Check for wear and scratches, is it clean or am I getting yet another filthy piece from someone. Personally, I clean a weapon prior to sale. If I like what I see including whether I feel the price is good verses the actual quality, I pay them. Otherwise I tell them what I think it is worth less and see what happens. Mind you, so far here I've yet to get a bad description so this is one reason I look here for a deal first.

Overall though, I am not all that concerned if a weapon looks odd, as long as it feels right and is what I am looking for...

Last edited:

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    when buying my first gun there were a couple things i was expecting.

1. considering my knowledge and comfort with firearms was limited to a couple times at the range, i wanted something new so i didnt have to worry about a hidden disaster.

2. I wanted a handgun for protection as well as range time to get more comfortable with firearms.

3. Since i wanted something for the range as well as carry, i opted for a full size rather than compact, because even with a pinky extension a compact did not fit comfortably.

4. as much as i would have loved a $1300 HK, i knew that overtime, i may dislike the first handgun i got. so price played a big issue.

5. considering all the above, i looked at all $500-600 new handguns, in 9mm / 40 that were full size. From them all i felt the M&p was most comfortable in my hand, and bought it.

plus i knew my girlfriend was getting the g19, so i didnt want to get the same firearm, because we can swap on range days :):

and ultimately, after i got my m&p and she got her glock, she was super jealous because she likes mine better.

i think come tax time i will more than likely be on the market again. and i think my next purchase is going to be a xdm .40 because i really enjoyed the xd9 and i want something with a little more oomph behind it.

but what do i know, im still a noob:n00b:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Condition,ergonomics, parts and accessory availability and of course price. Sometimes I get the best I can afford at the time but sometimes when I have excess cash which doesnt have often I buy some things just to tinker around on.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So many different reasons for me and especially different reasons over the years. I pretty much set down a list of "basic must have" guns for specific purposes. (Personal protection, deer gun, squirrel rifle, bird gun, smallbore target rifle/pistol, EDC pistol, camp/trail handgun) Whew!! Didn't stop to realize the list of "basic" needs guns was so long. LOL
    Over the years I have bought guns on impulse, to turn for profit/investment, always wanted one of those, historical aspects, sentimental attachments. The reasons could go on and on.
    Over the last 7-8 years I kinda found myself making a mental bucket list of guns to purchase. I have also found myself buying more and more for quality over quantity. I know for a fact that I'll never run out of guns that I want to purchase.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    First thing I look for is can I hold it sideways gangster style without it jamming. Just kidding. First thing I consider is a need. Does it fill a need. I look at manufacturer after that. Kinda picky for the most part who makes my guns. Will it function for my want. Next I look at price. Caliber is part of function.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I see guns like tools, you may have in your garage. You don't have just one type of screw driver or one wrench. Number one for me is quality & application/need. Do I have a need for a hunting rifle or shotgun, defensive/protection, plinking or pure fun, competition, gun for a new shooter, family member, etc.

The budget is always a concern for most people. However, for me a $100-200 would not be a consideration between guns choices, because I plan to keep it for 20-30 yrs. I also know the universal rule of you get way you pay for, applies to guns as well. I would wait and save if the I really wanted a certain gun because of features, or legacy of performance. I match the caliber with the need. Hunting to the game, or for defense, for me is .45 1911 in the winter (think: heavier clothing), spring/summer where weight is a consideration, 9mm compact (Springfield XDm) and then a Sig P-238 for sandles & shorts, with ultra light clothing.

My rule... I won't buy a semi-auto used. I've been burned before on buying used semi-auto's, even after close inspection (not unless buying from people I know). I've bought probably 20 revolvers, shotguns and rifles with no issues (if you know what to look for). I won't buy any used guns less than 90% condition, because I don't won't rust to get hold and I don't like the look...personally.

Obviously, fit is key, especially with a pistol. If it doesn't fit, you won't want to shoot it, if it hurts. If you don't shoot/practice, you don't get better. Back in the early 90's, I loved the look of the Browning High Power. I had to have one, bought it, the went to put a couple hundred rounds through it, with the first 20 rds. the web of my hand was bleeding. This model, didn't have the rounded hammer, but the standard spur hammer. It fit my hand like a glove, but without changing the hammer out, this gun was no fun to shoot.

My thoughts...

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    History. I bought a Glock purely on the amount of rounds they have fired. Police use them and don't seem to have issues. Reliability.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I usually buy to fill some specific sporting/shooting need.
    However, if a great deal comes along I might buy it, just to try it (and not lose money).

One of the biggest things for me is..............who am I buying from/selling to...............and even, who owned it before me?

If the shop or guy is a jerk, no deal. If the previous owner was some jerk (or just really stupid).............don't need the bad joo joo.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I usually buy a gun to fill a need or niche I think needs filling. Since, at this point, I only buy one of two brands I don't worry about reliability as it is a given. I actually like to find a good used gun. It saves me money and is usually broken in to some extent. As for condition, that can be where you save a few bucks. For most of my needs the outward appearance is irrelevant so finding one with some holster wear or scratches just means I can get it cheaper. There are guns that I would not buy if not in pristine condition but those are few and far between. Of course, if the price is right none of the other things matter as I know I can buy it, put a few rounds through it and turn it around for a profit.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    When I buy a gun it is because it fills a need or believed need. I depend on reputation, price, and function to decide on what to buy. I look at guns as tools. I know that there are guns that are works of art out there and I think they are great. I am a gun user not a gun collector.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I buy with value for purpose in mind. $2000 for a custom 1911 that I shoot at paper. Not a good value to me. If I were shooting regular competitions with it, I could see that. $175 HiPoint for edc. No way. But for a range/fun gun, maybe. This is the main reason I don't have an AR yet.

This would be a different story if I had a large amount of disposable income.

Top Bottom